Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 09-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap Server 2200 connectivity issues?

Hey guys, I'll try to explain everything as best as I can because I need some help with this.

So this is my 3rd week at this job I started in tech, and the supervisor told me their Snap Server 2200 crapped out.

Here's the kicker, they told me that they lost the 2nd harddrive a while ago, before I started here, and then due to a "hurricane warning" in Florida they shut down the snap server and it wouldn't boot back up.

They have a 2nd snap server that works fine (though it's not a 2200 and I've read in the forums for help but haven't found any issues relating to it....and the 2200s seem to have the obvious miscellaneous problems), but it's an older model and not a 2200.

I'm not entirely sure because, he fan gives a lot of vibration, but when booted up it doesn't feel as if the first HDD is spinning.... but it feels like the second one is, even though it doesn't connect or boot up to the 2nd one.

the other snap server when pinging the IP replies, when I try to ping the 2200 on the network it times out.

The thing about this place is they didn't do any type of RAID set up, so no mirrored striping, nothing.... they were just using them as back up harddisks to store information on.

I'm going to trouble shoot and check the network cable connecting and seeing if it's just a network issue....

Is it possible to plug the snap drives into a Windows computer and see whether or not the drives are readable with information?

Would I possibly be able to try connecting the 2200 drives to the other snap server (it looks like a real old version) and see if they connect and read? Or would I get confliting problems?

I'm trying to find out if the IDE controller or the MoBo itself crapped out on me and just doesn't want to work.
One last thing, I couldn't find anything about the LED blinking on the wiki section, but when I connect the second drive to the first controller I get the system and the Disk lights blinking simultaneously at an intermittent rate.... is that signifying failure mode?
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Snap Server 2200 connectivity issues?

Will try to help.

1st. DO NOT CONNECT THE SNAP DRIVES TO ANY PC THAT IS NOT RUNNING FreeBSD. All other OS can do damage if they they mount the Snap Drives, modifies the boot table. This Applys to Linux, FreeBSD is NOT Linux.

The older 2000 stores the OS in flashram. Can be pinged and accessed with no drives installed. Repair is simple as adding a new drive. You will need to know what OS, HW, SN to know what it can use. There are OS restrictions related to HD size.

This can be retrieved by loging in as admin and click on the SnapAppliance Logo, a popup will give you all the info. This Applies to all Snap OS Units.

The 2200 Stores everything on the HD. No HD means NO boot, as you know. Most run the Latest version of the OS.

There is a difference in the software between the 2000 and 2200. The 2000 has extra stuff due to the flashram.

This has not been tried but should work. Install a new HD in the 2000 in the master position, After about 10 minutes, check the status of the disk format. Once completed remove it. Verify the drive is as Master and install it into the 2200, Top. And see if it boots. If it boots you will need to re-install the OS for it to load the specific for the different model. A 4x00 model may work too. A reset may be needed, if so Assist will be needed to do the initial setup.

Otherwise you will need to load a image file to a new drive to recover. And/or do a OS up grade if needed.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
Will try to help.

1st. DO NOT CONNECT THE SNAP DRIVES TO ANY PC THAT IS NOT RUNNING FreeBSD. All other OS can do damage if they they mount the Snap Drives, modifies the boot table. This Applys to Linux, FreeBSD is NOT Linux.

The older 2000 stores the OS in flashram. Can be pinged and accessed with no drives installed. Repair is simple as adding a new drive. You will need to know what OS, HW, SN to know what it can use. There are OS restrictions related to HD size.

This can be retrieved by loging in as admin and click on the SnapAppliance Logo, a popup will give you all the info. This Applies to all Snap OS Units.

The 2200 Stores everything on the HD. No HD means NO boot, as you know. Most run the Latest version of the OS.

There is a difference in the software between the 2000 and 2200. The 2000 has extra stuff due to the flashram.

This has not been tried but should work. Install a new HD in the 2000 in the master position, After about 10 minutes, check the status of the disk format. Once completed remove it. Verify the drive is as Master and install it into the 2200, Top. And see if it boots. If it boots you will need to re-install the OS for it to load the specific for the different model. A 4x00 model may work too. A reset may be needed, if so Assist will be needed to do the initial setup.

Otherwise you will need to load a image file to a new drive to recover. And/or do a OS up grade if needed.
Finally someone to help... I was hoping to see if I could plug the harddisks into an external harddrive setup (which means it would connect to the PC with a USB connection as I have an external harddrive setup that allows you to remove the actual HDD). would that still mount the drive?

another thing is, I don't know about any 2000, the 2nd snap server they have just says "SNAP SERVER" on it no model name or number, nada.......

can I install FreeBSD as a dual boot option on a Windows PC?

Here's the weird thing, I checked out some of the connectors around the snap server itself and pushed in a few things to make it tighter, and noticed the IDE cable was slightly loose. After I pushed that in and turned the SnapServer back on the harddisk light on the system stayed lit.......as opposed to NOT being lit before. But I still can't access the IP for the snap server..... this snap drive is old they told me they've had it for 2 or 3 years, so I can assume they're running version 2.XX in the OS department....

I'm gonna check the wiki section about what is says for loading an image file, the problem with this place is that they never around to backing up the actual snap server itself.
Unread 09-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

I went to http://www.freebsd.org

and checked out the installation area, and It didn't give me anything about dual booting....... too bad I don't have an open partition on this disk, and I'm out of other harddrives, at the moment, to use.
Unread 09-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
blue68f100
Thermophile

I was not refereing to Dual Boot. I thought you wanted to try to access the snap data. Snaps use a XFS file system. FreeBSD added the support with v6 and greater.

Up to resently, the only way to retrive data is with another snap.

The 2000 & 2200 dual boot means when in raid 1, either drive is capable of booting the NAS, if a drive fails.

Unread 09-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

no no, I meant dual booting on the PC.......... like some people run Windows 2000 Professional, and then run Windows XP Professional?

I was reading to dual boot FreeBSD with my current Windows system....but as is I don't have any available space on the HD for another partition.

Does it matter WHAT model of Snap Server I use? Or do I need a similar make and model? i.e. another 2200? Or will any snap server do? the other snap they have is from back in the days when they were still called Meridian Data.....The home page of the server says "Snap!server™ by Meridian Data..... SNAP27837 (I assume is the model)" I don't think it would work though.

I want to first confirm if the HDs will even read when trying to retrieve data from them, so I can pinpoint the problem, be it the harddrives (I wouldn't doubt if the HDs fried) of if it's the actual 2200 and I need to advise them to purchase another server.....

Last edited by Koenig; 09-07-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Unread 09-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

As you said, no HD, no boot......... the IP address for the server doesn't load, so I can go to the homepage and configure it, but the disk activity light was lit and now flutters every so often when there's disk activity, (i assume background processes stopping and starting).

If the IDE controller was crap the disk activity light wouldn't blink or even carry a signal, right? yet I can't connect online, that's why I'm trying to narrow down if the HD still works then I can assume the network connector on the MoBo is crap. But the network status and link lights, will light up and the link/act light will flicker with activity...... I'm truly at a loss after reading all the snap server problems in the forum
Unread 09-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
blue68f100
Thermophile

I do not know of any way to boot from a network drive.

Using partition magic. Has a boot loader that may allow you to use a USB dirve. But like I said, I do not know of any way to boot fram a network drive. Maybe some of the Virtuallazation software can do it. If you are using XP Pro, MS released it to the public for free.

The data you gave on the 2000 is just the serial no. (name used for netbios). The serial number tells me it is more than likely a v1 2000, want know for sure with out the HW and BIOS version. This model does not support hd > 137gig. If it is running v2 or less, your current capacity is capped at 8 gig or less.

To see if the 2000 is still working, Install any size hd into the master position. And see what happens.

You can purchase HD from Snap (Adaptec) with OS pre loaded for the 2200 model.

If the 2000 does not boot, it is more than likely a HD failure. Loggin and check the disk status. If you want to through them out (my way) , I will pay for shipping.

As for as replacements. Snap has some real nice highspeed expandable dual gig port units. The newer models running the Guardian OS is loaded with features. Hot swap drives, snapshots for quick backup, SCSI build in (on some) for attaching tape units. The newer models are also design for users to service.

Unread 09-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
blue68f100
Thermophile

The disk led blink when activity.

The sys led should blink every 2 sec in in standby, like a heart beat.

The Link led should be solid if a network is present.

The net will blink during access.

If you replace a drive it takes about 10 min before you can access the admin interface.

If you do not see the unit with the router dhcp log. Use assist to locate the drive.

Try "http://SNAP27837" and see if the gui will respond.

Unread 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
blue68f100
Thermophile

If this is the 2200"
Quote:
If the IDE controller was crap the disk activity light wouldn't blink or even carry a signal, right? yet I can't connect online, that's why I'm trying to narrow down if the HD still works then I can assume the network connector on the MoBo is crap. But the network status and link lights, will light up and the link/act light will flicker with activity...... I'm truly at a loss after reading all the snap server problems in the forum
The HD have failed.

You can remove the drives and use the MFG utility of the HD to check the SMART Vitals of the HD. This will not alter the HD.

Unread 09-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
I do not know of any way to boot from a network drive.

Using partition magic. Has a boot loader that may allow you to use a USB dirve. But like I said, I do not know of any way to boot fram a network drive. Maybe some of the Virtuallazation software can do it. If you are using XP Pro, MS released it to the public for free.

The data you gave on the 2000 is just the serial no. (name used for netbios). The serial number tells me it is more than likely a v1 2000, want know for sure with out the HW and BIOS version. This model does not support hd > 137gig. If it is running v2 or less, your current capacity is capped at 8 gig or less.

To see if the 2000 is still working, Install any size hd into the master position. And see what happens.

You can purchase HD from Snap (Adaptec) with OS pre loaded for the 2200 model.

If the 2000 does not boot, it is more than likely a HD failure. Loggin and check the disk status. If you want to through them out (my way) , I will pay for shipping.

As for as replacements. Snap has some real nice highspeed expandable dual gig port units. The newer models running the Guardian OS is loaded with features. Hot swap drives, snapshots for quick backup, SCSI build in (on some) for attaching tape units. The newer models are also design for users to service.
hmm I mean the network connectivity, when typing in the ip 192.168.0.30 it just takes you to the page not found in the browser.....

I thought it might be the UTP Cat5ecable they use so I switch it with another CAT5e, a CAT5, and a CAT6... still the same result. I'm starting to wonder if the ethernet on the snap server is bad?

So the older snap server they have is a 2000?

that works fine, both drives. so you're saying I should take the drive from the 2200 that's not working, and put it into the 2000 and see if it'll boot up?

will it still boot up? even if they're not the same OS? 2000 vs. 2200 ?

This is a small type of business, with less than 150 or possibly 100 employees so they're not really the type to spend the big bucks and upgrade, they're still running windows 2000 professional on the computers, and even the "server" computer itself is running windows 2000 pro instead of 2000 server, or Server 2003...... I'm here for the experience though.

So yeah back to my question, if I plug the harddrive from the 2200 into the 2000 if the 2200 harddrive is good, with all it's info on it........ it'll still boot up to a different snap server?
Unread 09-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
blue68f100
Thermophile

Test the drives with the MFG utility to read the SMART data.

Everything resides on the hd for the 2200, no drive, no os, no boot.

The 2000 and 2200 have different HW ( 2000 sofrware raid, 2200 hardware raid) . But as a std share it may work, have not tried it. Depending on the age of the 2200 it may have a different file structure than the 2000. When Snap moved to v2 they moved to the Modified XFS file structue.

Unread 09-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

MFG utility? how do I use that? Remember this is my first experience with a snap server, so I don't know all the software and utilities, but at the moment I just need something to get me rolling and I'll pick up the rest..... I have no access to the 2200 at all, not interface no nothing, it appears my only option is to tell them to purchase a copy of FreeBSD so that I can run it and check the harddrive configurations of the snap server....... : \
Unread 09-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
blue68f100
Thermophile

You need to open the case on the snaps and see if it has WD, Hatichi/IBM drives. Then go to the mfg web site and download the disk utility CD Image.

Then remove the drives ( one at a time) transfer/connect it to a PC and boot from the CD. Then migrate down to the diag section. There are usualy 2 type of test. 1 Quick, and 1 long.

Unread 09-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #15
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks a ton, that's better than the FreeNAS right? and if this doesn't work is the FreeNAS free or I have to get the company to purchase that?
Unread 09-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
blue68f100
Thermophile

The 2000 has 1 screw in the back by the fan. Have the LED side down. remove the top screw. The slide the top 1/2 toward the front, about 1/2" then remove. If SIMM's Memory v1.

The 2200 has 2? screws holding in the drive/MB assembly to the case. Adaptec/Snap has a document show how it comes apart. Easy compaired to the 2000.

Unread 09-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #17
Phoenix32
Thermophile

WOW! Who's on first?

If I am not totaly confused here (and I may be after reading all of that), let's see if I can add 2 cents to help out...

Blue, after reading all of that, I am wondering a couple things here. He said one of the SNAP servers just said SNAP server on it, with no model number. That sounds like a SNAP 1000 since that is the only one I know of that does not put the model number right on it (I could be wrong tho). He did say it was "older".

Also, at one point, the SNAP he is working on, based on light descriptions, sounds like when he connected the IDE cable the drive was busy a while (doing either a format or disk check maybe?). Then later he mentions that the light is no longer constant and blibks now and then (sounds normal to me), so maybe it is up and running now after a format or disk check and the drive IDE connected now? But he says he can't connect to it. Okay, so maybe it is an older OS, is not on the IP he thinks it is on, and it is there, he is just not using the right IP or needs the Assist Program due to being a real old OS?

Koenig, do me (us) a favor here please. Seperate the two SNAP servers here for us and give us a full description if you can. i.e. What it physically looks like, model numbers if present, lights on it, etc.... Then call them SNAP #1 and SNAP #2 so we know which is which. This MIGHT help in sorting this out and even being able to use one to get the other one working. Step back, take a deep breath, and let's do this step by step. By the sounds of it, I think Blue68f100 (or someone) here can help you to a logical conclusion if we go step by step with more clarity.

The SNAP you said looked like it was working, but you could not connect to, MIGHT BE set to DHCP and may be pulling an IP address. Do you have a Router or Server that provides DHCP and has the ability to tell you what all is connected and what IP was assigned? (some routers will give this info and some won't for example).
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #18
blue68f100
Thermophile

Phoenix, you are behind the game. He has a 2000 and a 2200 with neither in raid and both with failed drives. So now he trying to determine if they can be recovered.

To help you catch up. He was trying to see if he could recover any data by moving the drives to a pc. Which you know the answer to that. Which is out of the question with maybe FreeBSD 6.1 and FreeNAS. I was also suggesting using the HD mfg disk utility to read the SMART data, external of the snaps.

Since the 2200 requires a HD to boot. I was sugesting use the 2000 to prepare the drive and see if it would boot the 2200. Then reload the OS to correct for the different models. The reason for how to open the 2000 and 2200 cases. With the SN of the 2000 I determine it was proably a v1.

This forum went balastic this afternoon, look at the time stamps. As soon as I answered 1 I had 2 more questions.

Unread 09-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #19
Phoenix32
Thermophile

ok, good enough, I figured I might have gotten lost in the confusion there....

I am still wondering if he might need the Assist program though maybe. I wonder if that one unit is working, he is just not finding it on the network.
Unread 09-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #20
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

OKAAAAAAAAAAAAY

To clear up the confusion, I have 2 Snap Servers..... one is working perfectly fine, the other is messed up. Well call the messed up Snap Server #1, and the working one Snap Server #2:

SNAP1 is the Snap Server 2200
S/N: 801063
Model: 70700188-001 (160GB)

SNAP2 is the Snap Server 2000 and is in perfectly working order.....
S/N: 27837
Model: 5325301058

This is what SNAP2 looks like

[url=http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/ext_stor/snap_dept/Snap_Server_2000/]Snap Server 2000[/b]

Except for it doesn't say Quantam on the side, it says Meridian and the case is a gray tone, instead of black. I just assume it's running an old v1.xx OS from what I've been reading about Snap Servers....

Just to negate any confusion.......SNAP2 is working perfectly fine, I can ping it, access the config and read both drives on it, from any computer @ 192.168.0.15\(drive name).... respectively.

The IP address for SNAP1 is what they gave to me - 192.168.0.30, which was working about 2 weeks ago, up to the point Tropical Storm Ernesto was coming towards Florida.

The office shut down the server, in case it became a hurricane and knocked out the power, but when they tried to boot it back up, the following Monday it wasn't reading on the network.

They have dynamic IP addressing here, except I believe they gave the Snap servers static IPs, making it easier to connect and map them on the office computers.

I'll give the router a try, we have 2, I'll check both, perhaps in some odd way, SNAP1 knocked it's IP loose, released it and was assigned a dynamic one?

the first harddrive in SNAP1 is the one that seems to boot up and work according to the LED functions. The 2nd harddrive (which stopped functioning long before I started working here) doesn't seem to work at all, when I try to plug it in the system and disk lights blink simultaneously together and consistently, they both flash once every second or 2.

They're not THAT worried about the 2nd drive (although I'm sure they'd like to get it back or at least get the data off of it), they're more concerned with the 1st harddrive of SNAP1.

I'm going to try the router suggestion and see if either router is either listing SNAP1 by name or by "unknown device" and see if it does indeed have a different IP address..... if that doesn't work then I'm gonna have to go with Blue's suggestion of the MFG utility CD, and plugging the drives in and booting from CD.....

Thanks guys......I really appreciate the help.....

Oh can someone explain to me how FreeNAS works? is that a software or a OS like FreeBSD ?

[EDIT]
Crap I forgot to ask, how will I know what Assist version to use on SNAP1, can I find out using the S/N and Model # from SNAP1?

Also I should mention if this might help (it may be irrelevant since the lights on SNAP1 seem to show disk activity) but a while back before I started here back in March they told me that the 1st harddrive in SNAP1 crashed (the 2nd HD wasn't working then either) and that they had to recover the 1st HD in SNAP1 but the methods they used aren't working now?

I can't honestly say what they've done, as I haven't witnessed it, and I don't like any setup other than a RAID 1 or RAID 5....but they have no RAID at all, just each harddrive set up as it's own to store different data to either drive.

Last edited by Koenig; 09-08-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Unread 09-08-2006, 08:04 AM   #21
blue68f100
Thermophile

If you change or clear the IP, It defaults to 0.0.0.0 You will then need assist to locate the unit and do the init setup.

Assist is backwards compatable. So use the one that came with the 2200.

If you need Assist let me know and I will send it to you.

Last edited by blue68f100; 09-08-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Unread 09-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #22
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

wait.........Assist is backwards compatible? I'll need it for the 2200, so that means the Assist for 2000 won't work for the 2200 right?

Is it possible for a 2200 or any Snap Server to glitch and change or clear it's own IP address? If it defaults to 0.0.0.0 will it still detect and show network connectivity when an ethernet cable is jacked in? I think I'm gonna be needing that Assist program, should I PM you my email?.... thanks
Unread 09-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #23
Koenig
Cooling Neophyte

[UPDATE]:

I checked BOTH the routers we have here, the one configured for wireless and DSL, and the more integrated one for the T1

and I got BUPKIS!!!!!

It's a Kentrox QX2400, and it apparently doesn't list the IP address settings for any devices connected to it, SUCK.

My Belkin Pre-N router at home has 20 devices and it detects the IP for each one, dynamic and static, .....blah.

So I think I'm gonna start looking for that Assist program....
Unread 09-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #24
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig
[i][EDIT]
Crap I forgot to ask, how will I know what Assist version to use on SNAP1, can I find out using the S/N and Model # from SNAP1?

Also I should mention if this might help (it may be irrelevant since the lights on SNAP1 seem to show disk activity) but a while back before I started here back in March they told me that the 1st harddrive in SNAP1 crashed (the 2nd HD wasn't working then either) and that they had to recover the 1st HD in SNAP1 but the methods they used aren't working now?
David (blue), I gotta say what I did before. It sounds like this unit is working (on one drive) since he reseated the IDE cable, but he is just not finding it on the LAN (I bet the IP got assigned dynamicly to something else). Call it a hunch...
Unread 09-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #25
blue68f100
Thermophile

Quote:
So I think I'm gonna start looking for that Assist program....
If you need it send me an email. It's around 3.5 meg