Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Closed Thread
Unread 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #51
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Snap Server 4200 replaced drives how having issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
Check the other new drives...
First and foremost, thank you.

I checked the drives and did everything on the list you made with the exception of the OS. I'm stuck on version 3

The RAID5 is still resyncing, and it's at 26%. It started yesterday.

Just for the heck of it, I tried transferring a smallish file (500mb). I still got the network utilization spikes. Also, the high pings are still there. The good part wash, though, that there were no errors in the log like the ones I first posted. In fact, there was nothing in the log except that teh admin connected to the share.

When I first put it all together, like the last time, the pings were perfect (under 1ms), until the very instance that I made the RAID5.

I'm going to let it finish resyncing I guess and then see if it's any better.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.
Unread 08-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #52
schnappi
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnappi
I think you have problems with the Western Digital drive WD5000AAKB in your Snap Server 4200?

The Snap Server 4200/4500 are not compatible with WD5000AAKB. Unbelievably but real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jladelfa View Post
Shoot. Yeah, those are the ones I have. It doesn't make sense though.....two of them are in and working.....
It is my last hint in this thread:
Dont' take WD5000AAKB in your 4200 with your Guardian Version and it will work!

Last edited by schnappi; 08-27-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #53
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

It's at 43% now.

I checked the logs and when I changed it to show everything this showed up:

Reenabling now reachable DNS server: 10.5.5.2 resolv_cleaner.sh Aug 27 07:35:00
Disabling unreachable DNS server: 10.5.5.2 resolv_cleaner.sh Aug 27 07:30:02
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7. kernel Aug 27 05:10:00
ide1: reset: success kernel Aug 26 17:21:50
hdc: drive not ready for command kernel Aug 26 17:21:50
hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy } kernel Aug 26 17:21:50
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14 kernel Aug 26 17:21:50
hdc: timeout waiting for DMA kernel Aug 26 17:21:50
lmgdc (10.5.5.2) - admin disconnected from SHARE1
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #54
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnappi View Post
Well, it's been my experience in life never to rule anything out, but it's still a tad odd.

The machine has been like a rock, but given it's age, I think I am going to send these drives back, get bigger SATA drives, a new enclosure, and put the 4200 on ebay.

Thanks for all of the help gents!
Unread 08-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #55
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

No No No...

jladelfa - you can't leave it unfinished...

Before you do that, why not put the original drives back rebuild it, test it for a day or two, then at least you will know if it was the New Drives or your 4200...

Also you will be able to say on eBay that the unit works fine or "take it as is"!

After you have spent all this time you owe it to yourself to find out - what will you loose apart from a few more hours?
Unread 09-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #56
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

OK, lol, I can't win.

It finished resyncing and actually did a decent job at moving over about 40 gigs. It still did some spiking with the networ utilization, but it was acceptable (to me, at this point).

BUT, at about 4 hours into the file transfer, it started getting slow again. So I looked at the log.....failed drive number 2.

I checked each of these drives with spinrite and they were fine.

So, I went to the management page, and I saw the option to repair the drive. I clicked that, and it said drive was repaired successfully. But when I looked at the RAID set it still asked if I wanted to repair the drive. If I click "repair drive" again, it says there are no drives to repair. So when I go back to the RAID set, I see, "Repair RAID". When I click that, it says, "Repairing RAID 5 (checksummed) Set md0.
There are no drives with enough free space to repair this RAID Set. We need at least 456,823MB to repair the set. "

So, I'm thinking to myself, just for the hell of it, I will try to move some other large files to it, via the network, just for....well, for the hell of it. Well, it says that the share is not available and that I might not have the permissions to access it. But I do.

So, should I take this disk out and recheck it, or should I be casting a suspect eye towards the sled. Is there a good way to test the sled? If it's working intermittently, I don't' want to swap drives and have it work at the time I try a different drive in it.
Unread 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #57
blue68f100
Thermophile

Try moving that sled to another position and see if the trouble follows it.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #58
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
And this will be the last time I say this then;

That is bull crap advice. The WD5000AAKB drives work just fine in the 4200/4500.
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #59
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
And this will be the last time I say this then;

That is bull crap advice. The WD5000AAKB drives work just fine in the 4200/4500.
Hi, just a quick update. I'm not trying to start with you, but you are wrong. I got different hard drives and it works like a champ now.

Maybe you had a newer version with the OS, and it had updated drivers that worked with these drives, but since I have an older version these simply don't work....at least they don't work well. Keep in mind, they work, but the OS has "issues" talking to them, hence the excellent transfer speed for a couple of seconds and then a slow down for about a minute, and so on. After an exhaustive google search I found that the info in the error logs pointed to a driver issue.

Again, I'm not trying to challenge you, I thank you for the help, but please consider asking people which OS version they have before telling them these drives will work (without hiccups).

On a different note, I need another drive sled and I can't locate any on ebay or anywhere else for that matter. Anyone know where I can score one for a decent price? Thanks!
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #60
schnappi
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jladelfa View Post
Hi, just a quick update. .. I got different hard drives and it works like a champ now.
That's what I said on 08-27-2009 08:33 AM .. But some are full of oneself.

Unread 11-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #61
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
That's what I said on 08-27-2009 08:33 AM .. But some are full of oneself.
And some are just mindless zombies who just make assumptions based on one observation or worse yet, nothing at all.

Me? I don't care if someone takes my advice or not. I do however care when some clown puts out crap information as fact in a place where people come for help and can be mislead easily. And THAT is what your information is. CRAP! With no basis in anything other than you couldn't do it and neither could one other guy.

Instead of puting this bad information out as fact, how about puting it out with questions to figure out what might be wrong with you or your methods.

Since you are determined to put this bogus information out, then prepare to defend it. So let's get right to it. I have some simple question I would LOVE for you to explain to us with your powerful insight, observations, and skills. I beg you to teach me here the error or my ways.

#1 How do explain away the FACT that I myself (and others) have installed those very same model drives in those very same model Snap Servers with no problems? Was it just lucky magic, or what? I am dieing to hear your answer to this one.

#2 Theorizing the following; a) WD would not put out a drive that did not follow proper interface standards. b) The Snap Server in question follows proper interface standards. c) The Snap Server does not have some type of BIOS hard setting for a specific drive model combination. Then why would this combination not work? If you are so sure here this doesn't work, please tells us why? I await eagerly for this insight you have.

-Notes on the theories of #2: There are minor things that can slip past a manufacturer of their drives, or Host Bus Adapters, BIOS programing etc or even shortcuts they might make that can cause problems, but these are usually obscure and rare combos, not mainstream. If the BIOS is hard set to a particular drive combination, you would not be able to do the upgrades we do without some reprograming. We pretty much know this is not the case of a Snap 4200.

As an example of proper good information that is similar to this case, let's look at a Snap 4000.

You cannot use some model Seagate drives (and a few others) in some model Snap 4000. Makes no sense on the surface, but there is a simple explaination.

- There are 4 different models of the Snap 4000, 2 of which use cables that require the use of Cable Select rather than Master/Slave.

- The Snap 4000 does not support ATA133.

- Some model Seagate drives (and a few other drives out there) that when put in CS mode, will switch to AT133 and not switch down to a lower speed to meet the HBA speed. Or least not in the timing required for that HBA.

End result, the Snap 4000 models that have the CS requirement but cannot do ATA133 will puke with drives like some of the Seagates and others that do the ATA133 thing in CS mode. As a note, this can be fixed by changing the cables so that you can use the Master/Slave mode.

See? In this example, it makes sence, can be proven and is a known quanity. Now lets go back to your BS theory.

The Snap 4200 does not have the ATA133/CS problem, and in fact pretty much uses any drive in a Standard configuration. So why would it not work with any mainstream drives in a standard configuration? Makes no sence at all. If either the Snap 4200 or those Model WD drives had problems with standard single/master configurations, I am pretty sure it would be a big deal and it would be pretty common knowledge about that unit or drive. The Snap having problems with MANY drives, or the Drive Model having MANY problems in many servrs or computers. IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Then, you have to come back and wonder why others have not had this problem and it worked fine (like me).

Now is no time to just sit back and expect me or anyone else to just accept this theory of yours as some magic fact. Please, I am dieing to hear your explaination as to why this happens and what the problem is. Please enlighten us all. I eagerly await your response. I am always open to learning some new bit of information.
Unread 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #62
blue68f100
Thermophile

I've had no problem at all with any WD drives. I have had problem with seagates. I will buy WD over Seagates. The last HDs I have gotten from Seagate have a terrible seek problem, which does impact performance of a RAID5. The GOS units seam to work with just about any HD you want to use. OS version have nothing to do with HD working, this is a hardware issue not software.

Unread 11-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #63
Phoenix32
Thermophile

David, looks like he can't defend or explain the magic drive problem.
Unread 12-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #64
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

I've admitted what I think the problem is, I don't know why you keep saying the same thing.

I've followed the steps that were posted here.

The only one I couldn't follow was getting a newer version of the OS. I'm stuck on verson....3 point something (forgot and don't want to walk to the server room to find out).

And I never said it didn't work as in nothing would happen. It did start up, make a RAID and transfer data. The transfer was the problem. There would be a normal transfer rate for about 4 to 5 seconds, then the transfer would slow to almost literally nothing for about 20 seconds. Then it would transfer at a normal rate for a couple of seconds, then it would slow again for about 20 seconds. Repeat cycle until the transfer was complete. Even before this problem, I knew something was up because it took 140 hours to sync the raid.

The logs errors that I posted, combined with google research point to the fact that there is an issue with drivers, so I'm guessing my older version of the Guardian OS doesn't have the proper drivers for the new, bigger drives.

If someone wants to float me a newer version of the guardian OS, and it works, I'll eat crow all day long
Unread 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #65
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Maybe you are not the person to whom that was directed.
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #66
Phoenix32
Thermophile

update:

David, his 4200 unit is now for sale on eBay, he found the REAL problem. Turns out he has a bad slot on the unit (#2 I think he said). Different drives, different trays, same slot fails. Seems I was right all along.

While it was not the hard disk itself, it was the slot, still boils down to the same thing, a bad drive in the mix. Just as I/we said from the start.
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #67
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Now why did I post that update?

Some will say it is because I am an ass (I am a bit, but not the reason). Some will say it was an "I told you so" thing (I suppose it is a little, but still not the real reason). So on and so forth...

The real reason is a follows, and is the same reason I was such and ass in this message thread. (my wrath is not always directed at the person asking for help either, unless they join the mix)

There are a lot of people who want help on these units out there. There is also a lot of bogus or misleading information out there. People without the in depth knowledge or experience on these need to know who/where to listen to or go for decent information. It is that simple, don't read anything into it.

Sometimes I offer help, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I can be an ass, sometimes a soft touch. Sometimes I get paid, sometimes I don't. Etc etc etc. It is mine to choose for myself when and which. Many factors, none the least my PTSD mood, fit into this choice. But, one thing you can bank on for sure, if I (or David) tell you something is a fact, you can bet we have verified it to be a fact and know it as such before we put it out that way.
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #68
blue68f100
Thermophile

If they would look at the number of post each of us have, it should tell them we have been around for a while. And indicated we have experience in these Snap units. And in most of my post I point to you for the hardware expert....Go figure.

Andy and fellow members ..

Have a Happy New Year and may the next be better than the last...

Unread 12-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #69
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Now why did I post that update?

Some will say it is because I am an ass (I am a bit, but not the reason). Some will say it was an "I told you so" thing (I suppose it is a little, but still not the real reason). So on and so forth...

The real reason is a follows, and is the same reason I was such and ass in this message thread. (my wrath is not always directed at the person asking for help either, unless they join the mix)

There are a lot of people who want help on these units out there. There is also a lot of bogus or misleading information out there. People without the in depth knowledge or experience on these need to know who/where to listen to or go for decent information. It is that simple, don't read anything into it.

Sometimes I offer help, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I can be an ass, sometimes a soft touch. Sometimes I get paid, sometimes I don't. Etc etc etc. It is mine to choose for myself when and which. Many factors, none the least my PTSD mood, fit into this choice. But, one thing you can bank on for sure, if I (or David) tell you something is a fact, you can bet we have verified it to be a fact and know it as such before we put it out that way.
Dude, you make it real hard to be nice to you, and now you're going to look like an ass, because you are.

I told you in email that the second slot has issues and you run over here like a little kid because you want everyone to know how right you are.

Well, you're STILL wrong, because you posted without all of the facts.

When I took the second drive out, and only used three drives for a RAID 5 I still had the same results. I still had the same crappy transfer rates.

You have no one to blame but yourself for looking stupid. Stop trying to shut everyone up here who comes and says anything bad about these things. They have problems, just like every other piece of hardware can. What you do is irresponsible. You scare off all the bad, LEGITIMATE, experinces that people have with these, and paint the picture that they are perfect, TRICKING others into thinking these things are the best thing since sliced bread. It's immoral, and there laws against it. You can't silence bad press about products just because you have a hard on for them, or you work for them, or whatever.

Good day.
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #70
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Dude, (figured I would give the surfer tone a chance too)

Now you look like the ass. I was very clear why I posted what I posted. But I am going to be very blunt and to the point with you here (moderators close your eyes).

#1, I am not a Snap Server Fanboy. I have no freakin' idea where you get the idea I am a fanboy with a hardon for Snaps and killing "bad press" about them. It is obvious to me that you either cannot read, at least with any understanding of what you read, or you just skim stuff.

#2, I was not ever really directing my posts at you (even the last one), except where you kept trying to indicate that the one bozo was right about it not being able to be done. My post were directed at the other guy. You are just so insecure you kept thinking they were at you, DUMB ASS!

#3, So you have an admitted BAD SERVER, whatever the problem is with it, and you want to now say we are still wrong on our info. Yeah, that makes sense. Do you really think about what you say first?

Now for the S-L-O-W minded out there, pay attention.

My negative posts in this have always been about the same thing, BOGUS information. That BOGUS information being that WD 500GB drives do not work in the Snap Server 4200/4500/15000. That right there is BULL-SHIT information. I cannot say it any clearer. That right there is what my posts have been about. How do I "Know" this? I have done it, multiple times on multiple servers. No problems. FACT! Pure and Simple. That is not a fanboy statement about Snaps or WD. It is just a fact statement. Dumb asses coming here and telling people it doesn't work and can't be done is BOGUS information and needs to be killed at every mention of it. PERIOD.

Dude, get off your high horse thinking I am attacking you and then reacting like a little girl crying about it. You are just trying to deflect away from your obvious piss poor skills and deductive reasoning, as well as insecurity issues you seem to have.

You have a bad server, and no matter you say after that, you cannot say for sure anything about what will or won't work using that server. Given how this message thread had ended up, people needed an update so they know what the valid information is.

Do you "get it" yet? This is about bad information being put out, not personal opinions about each other. I do not know you. I do not care to know you. I don't care if you are an idiot, ass, expert, or really nice guy. I could care less. All I care about here is if people get CORRECT information, in this case about what drives can or cannot be used in what servers. Period! Now STFU and quit crying.
Unread 12-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #71
blue68f100
Thermophile

Time OUT

David

Unread 01-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #72
blue68f100
Thermophile

I said enough, So all post were removed. If it continues I will be remove the thread. If you want to carry on do it some where else.

David

Unread 01-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #73
bitor
Cooling Savant

Dave... I request that you remove this thread.

Thanks,

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
I said enough, So all post were removed. If it continues I will be remove the thread. If you want to carry on do it some where else.

David
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #74
blue68f100
Thermophile

Bitor,

I was going to do that, but there is still some good info under all of the heated discussions. But I have access to some info you do not have, is the reason I did not delete the whole thread. And like Andy said, it was not directed at him till he made it his, it was aimed at a different user all together.

Like Andy, I get upset at times when people come here ask for help. If they came here ask for help tells me they did not have a solution to their problem. Then say it did not work and every thing I said was wrong. Normally we get feed back as to what happen and what they did. Every time something fails we get more info to help diag the problem. In a lot of cases they skipped a step not thing it mattered. Then the second time it worked.

As for HD's working in a GOS (current) unit, the limit currently is interface limited (IDE) and SATA. The SnapOS has limits but it's running on 10yr old technology. Now some work better than others. But with the right mfg disk utility you can correct interface issues. Sometime it just a simple jumper change.

I believe I was the first to take a GOS unit (4500) with no HD's and build one out. And I did it with HD's that were larger than anything Snap shipped. So don't tell me it can't be done. I did it without any outside help. Plus I have info that has not been released publicly. I have given a few select the info and that's all.

I've been dealing with computer hardware and software for over 30 yrs. And when someone tells me that it's a software problem and knows his hardware has a problem, He's need to move on. If he's in the IT business he needs to change professions or go back to school. I know of know way to test software if the hardware is not working correctly.

David
Moderator.

This thread is NOW CLOSED......

Closed Thread