Go Back   Pro/Forums > Site News and Blogs > ProCooling workBlogs > Brian's WorkLog
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #26
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Brian:

That is awful! Do you have people in your community and church that can give you some help in the short term? Is your work reasonably understanding? If you need help then please let me know and anything within my power I will do.
Unread 02-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #27
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Well, the most likely possibilities are indeed aweful. But, I got my first sleep last night (hadn't been sleeping for about 4 days or maybe 5 days... can't remember), and I'm reminding myself that I should not focus on the bad. There is a chance, even if it is small, that Heather might survive and be mostly OK.

People in my church are great but about 70 minutes away (small church). So, for instance, the kids were with a church family for a couple of days but that meant that I didn't see them. I just spent time in a chair by Heather's bed. The friends even offered to help longer, but I know my kids need to see me too. I've had more offers for help than I ever suspected; Heather had a lot of friends and they aren't superficial like many people seem these days.

Thankfully, work is understanding, but even if they weren't, I have invoked the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) which is a USA law that provides job safety for up to 12 weeks of leave in case of family medical emergency. I don't know how things will go, but I hope they stay understanding! This event and its consequences could go on for a long time.

Thank you so much for your thoughts, Derek. Right now, I just want Heather to be healthy and the way she was.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2004, 11:31 PM   #28
murray13
Cooling Savant

Brian, you and Heather are in my prayers.
murray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2004, 02:24 AM   #29
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray13
Brian, you and Heather are in my prayers.
Same here.

How's the new addition, is she doing ok?

If it works, fix it until it's broke!
Then, after it's broke, add duct tape!

Affordable webhosting!
Yo-DUH_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2004, 09:08 AM   #30
Brians256
Pro/Staff

New baby is doing fine. ty
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2004, 05:57 PM   #31
Mr. Thompson
Cooling Neophyte

Brian - As Murray said, your family is in my family's prayers.

Colin

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.
Mr. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 07:23 AM   #32
CCW
Cooling Neophyte

Brian, my thought and prayers are with you and your family, sorry to hear of the bad news, but congradulations on the baby
CCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 08:35 AM   #33
UnloadeD
Cooling Savant

Congrats on the healthy daughter and so sorry to hear about your wife's health. I don't have any kids yet, one reason is I'm afraid something like this might happen to my wife. You seem to be holding up much better than I would be in same situation. I found this thread from a link on OC's front page, I was expecting some kinda way to help out tangibly. FMLA eases the mind a bit knowing your job is secure, but it doesn't help out finacially. With all you've got going on I'd hate to see money worries added to the list. If you or another staff member would set up a paypal account I'd be willing to help and I'm sure others would too. Until I can do more, prayers go out to all of you.

peace.
unloaded
UnloadeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 08:56 AM   #34
Spoon_04
Cooling Neophyte

Brian, I just read this thread and my heart just went out to you and my prayers are with you, I hope with all my heart that your wife recovers.
Spoon_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #35
Reccos
Cooling Neophyte

I linked from over at the HardOCP... decided to register to let you know that I hope everything turns out ok with your wife and if not then know that you have a new addition to your family and that which is more important than subtractions... i mean every family has someone taken away eventually but not all of them get the joy of a new addition...

my analogy is a little abstract... sorry

my prayers are with you

Luke
Reccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #36
HRPufnStuf
Cooling Neophyte

Another new user.....from HardOCP.

Not very often I read things anywhere that make me get choked up the way this thread has.....guess just having a close wife and thinking of how this would really be is a bit overwhelming.

Brian - wish you and your wife and family the very best in the coming days/weeks/months. I hope she pulls through for you and the children.

Thoughts and prayers...
HRPufnStuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #37
nino
Cooling Neophyte

Default Who's responsible - devil's advocate?

Hi Brian,
I found this by way of OC and my heart goes out to you and your family during these VERY difficult times. I can't believe how well you are coping.

When I first heard about the stroke I figured it was a stroke due to the high blood pressures created from normal birthing but then when I heard that it was a C-section and that the blood pressures shouldn't have been that high, nor should clots have formed (unless due to the surgery, medications, or anesthesia) I had to wonder who was responsible.

A C-section is VERY routine and the development of a blood clot at that young an age (provided she doesn't live a sedentary lifestyle) is rare. Blood clotting after surgery however is not rare if the meds aren't right and sometimes even if they are.

Anyhow, my prayers go out to you and yours and I hope that the hospital isn't culpable in some way.
nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #38
EBFoxbat
Cooling Neophyte

I linked to here from over at OverClockers.com and registered to say my prayers are with you. I'm sure many of us will try to keep up. Let us know if there is anything we can do.
EBFoxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 11:57 AM   #39
Onlypro
Cooling Neophyte

I sincerely hope everything works out for you in regard with your family's health.

Your family is in my prayers.
Onlypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 11:57 AM   #40
klod
Cooling Neophyte

Brian,

I saw this at HardOCP and just wanted to tell you that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
klod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 11:58 AM   #41
tio
Cooling Neophyte

linked from overclockers.com...

Brian, I don't know what to say. That's horrible to have to go through something like this. I can't begin to imagine what I'd do in your situation.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife, and your family. I wish you guys the very best of luck.

Good luck Brian.
tio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #42
Jim_2CPU
Cooling Neophyte

You and your family will be in my prayers, Brian. I almost lost my fiance awhile back to a pulmonary embolism (blood clots) and your story really put a lump in my throat.

I really hope your wife gets better. All the best.
Jim_2CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #43
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

damn this sux, we see succesfull births allover so much that we might forget there is even a risk involved. for what it's worth, (i'm not the praying type) i wish your family the best of luck.
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #44
AdmiralTiger
Cooling Neophyte

I'm just another wayward link-explorer from HardOCP.

Brian - First of all, congratulations on your fourth child (geez, anything more than 2 is way too much for me!) and best of wishes for her to have a long life ahead of her. I'm expecting my first child this August, so I haven't tasted childbirth just yet but I know how hard this will be, and I hope what happened to your wife doesn't affect my fiancee at all.

Second of all, I'm sorry to hear about your wife and both of us are praying for her to get better and that she makes a complete recovery. Right now she's in good hands either way and we all hope that she can make it through the difficult times ahead for both of you and your family. We also wish you the best of luck.
AdmiralTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:17 PM   #45
GruntmaN
Cooling Neophyte

As a dad with a 14 month old and a 3 yr old, this thread sure made my eyes puffy. You and your family are in my prayers. I hope all goes well. Take it in stride and stay strong man. It's good to hear that your church and friends are there for you. Take advantage of it and turn to your friends for that comfortable shoulder. It's best to talk it out than tear yourself up worrying.

Congratulations on your adorable new addition.
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:45 PM   #46
OldGuy
Cooling Neophyte

Just over from the OCP. I can't imagine what it must be like for you right now. It's good to hear that you've got a lot of help, that's priceless in times like this. My family and I will say a prayer for you and yours tonight.

I know money can't fix this problem, but it could help make some aspects of it easier. I encourage you (or someone close to you) to set up a Paypal donation fund. It would be the least I could do to send some cash your way to help pay a bill or just to take your kids out to dinner for a distraction. I'll be checking back on this thread over the next few days if you do get to setting something up.

OG
OldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:45 PM   #47
irf
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians256
Shameless plug! I have a new daughter, Deborah Elease Smith, born 7:58am 2/12/04, weighing 5 lbs 11.4oz and stretching out to 18.5" in length.

Woot!

There's me with my "Family" sticker on the dress greens after the C-Section. I was told that is because they don't want to mistake me for a Doctor or Nurse, but I think it was to help the Dad's remember their place: spectator. Snip, zzzzt, blorp, and out she came with nothing for me to do but oggle at the sharp knives and stuff until Deborah came out and exhibited her amazingly effective lungs+vocal cords. Oh, yeah. I get to change diapers too.
Brian,
Just a little note to congratulate you on the new born, and to let
you know that all our prayers will be dedicated to wish the speedy recovery
of your wife Heather. You are not alone we are all behind you.
God Bless

Last edited by irf; 02-25-2004 at 01:51 PM.
irf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:17 PM   #48
IMOG
Cooling Neophyte

Hey Brian, I don't know you personally but I heard about you over at OCForums. I wanted to congratulate you on the healthy daughter and let you know that my thoughts are with you and your wife. I wish for the best of outcomes for you, and that you keep your own strength also while you care for your family. It's hard when things go bad, but remember that if you keep taking from the well without adding anything to it, it will dry up - so try to take care of yourself also, to make sure you can still be there for your family. The better you take care of yourself the more ready you will be to be there for them.

My best wishes friend,
Matt
IMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #49
sandman
Cooling Neophyte

Hey man, I'm not sure what to say that could make you feel any better.

I Just, hope your wife makes a complete recovery.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #50
Gremlin
Cooling Neophyte

Congrats to a new addition to your family. I wish the best for your family and praying for your wife's full recovery!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote