Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 01-05-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
Sandman001
Cooling Neophyte

Default my plan for a gpu block...

Alright, I figure I'll make my own GPU block out of an old 1U copper heatsink.

Basically, I'll take it, and cut it to my desired demensions, then cut off the end upposite the inlet and outlet holes a bit short so the water will be able to go from inlet to outlets through the back and have to cross the fins for both.

Then, I'll tap some holes in the base for a Maze 3-1 coltplate I have laying around, and strap a pelt to it.

Seems simple enough, but I'll need some copper sheetmetal or something like that for the top and back, does anyone know where to get any of this?

Also, where do you get copper/brass barbs at?

My description might be kinda bad, and i have a picture drawn up, cut I can't figure out how to attach it?
Sandman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
killernoodle
Thermophile

I have seen it done before somewhere, seemed to work great. You cant beat the surface area of a low profile skivved CPU aircooler for tec use.

Copper sheets can be found everwhere. Try your local hardware store, it may be in the decorative roof flashing area. If not, onlinemetals.com may have what youre looking for.
Unread 01-06-2004, 04:26 AM   #3
Whodovoodoo2man
Cooling Neophyte

Hmmm. Sheet copper is easy to obtain- you can use pieces of copper tube!

Take a small piece of copper tube (15mm, 22mm diameter- whatever) and cut down the length with a pair of tinsnips. Then just use two pieces of thick and flat steel to hammer it flat (copper sheet works easily).

If you need larger sheets look out for an old copper hot water tank- that'll keep you in copper sheet for years to come!

Andy
Whodovoodoo2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
Sandman001
Cooling Neophyte

I'll have to look there, and try to get up some pics when I get it done.
Sandman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Lee did a GPU block along with his CPU blocks made from 1U air sinks. They worked pretty well for him to.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote