Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-22-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Default (1)172mm vs. (2) 120mm's in push/pull

I have been looking into various fan/rad setups and based on the input of various persons believe that (2) 120mm's w/shroud's in push/pull config would be the best setup, then someone threw a wrench in the works.

In this corner we have the wrench, a Rotron 172mm 300CFM fan (http://www.comairrotron.com/DCFans/MajorDC.htm). What is the consenus on how this would perform against the above. I would make a plexi shroud and attach it to my chevette heatercore (6x6x2 fin area)

Btw noise does matter so they would both be on a fanbus.
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 08:03 PM   #2
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Well you can't use that 300CFM one as it is only in 24/48v. Although you could run a 24v @ 12v.

They do offer it though in 12v at 235CFM at about 54.5dba and .75 inches of H2O.

Now if you set up your 120's as delta 152CFM screamers @ .571 inches of water, they would offer a high performing set up, but I don't think they'd be any better than the 172 Comair Roton. Air flow would be about the same through the rad.

But the dual 120's will take up more space due to the second shroud, and two of these deltas will produce 56dba. I'd go with the 172mm fan.

Reasoning is this. The dual Deltas are louder, and the larger the fan is most often the lower the pitch of the noise from it. So even if the dba rate was equal between the 172 and the dual 120's it would seem less intrusive due to the lower pitch. And the noise rating is without any resistences. With the duals you have 2 fans creating extra noise from the turbulence between the fans and the rad fins. The larger 172 will have more turbulence than a single 120 but not as much as two.

BE

Last edited by Blackeagle; 02-22-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 12:29 AM   #3
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

I think I just got happy all of a suddon, I know that in the end I will be crying that everything is too loud so I think I am going with 2 papst or 2 panaflo 120mm's in a push pull w shrouds. Just like you said the only problem is space I am still trying to figure out how I am going to do this. I really need to reduce the size of the pump the only problem is that I will end up with some crappy underpowered POS if I do that.

Let me ask you this Blackeagle, how much of a temp diff would I experience if I used only one fan? Just a guess. What maybe 1 or 2c? More?
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote