Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-28-2002, 05:27 AM   #1
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Got me H2o bit's finaly ordered!...

...but not to my house! ,I'll have to wait till the weekend to get my hands on them. I went with the Abyss rad in the end, mainly cause of the comparative size to a HC, the extra size/area will give me better cooling at a lower fan speed, also abit of upgradability...
I would have gone heatercore if I could have found a new one(S/H 1's are SO cacky) for a good price that was the right size as well. also I like the low pressure drop of the Abyss compared to the 'hit or miss' chance of HC's. the one I have seems very restrictive, and the need for a shroud that 'vee's' out to fit the fan makes it massif! 5'~6' high!...

I'm gonna WTX mod my case (easy pot~rivet job) so I have the CPU at the bottom, I might try for a very short tube lenght design, pump straight to block kinda thing, maybe. Main benifit to me is I'll have the space that the PSU takes up below where the mobo starts for the rad and pump to be, so I'll have the full width of the case without worying about the mobo~PCI cards/DDR~DIMMs/block ect, poking out into the space used. I'll have to find a home for the PSU, it'll go in two 5.5' CD slots or at the front bottom of the case, not keen on the front bottom cause it'll have to use its own independant fan to vent hot air/heat out of the case, if I put it up top I can 'double' it up as the main 120mm blowhole/vent for the two 120's pulling air in through the rad/case side. I'll extend the PSU mains plug to the back of the case and solder the pump mains wire to it to share the same mains input (any problems there?) and run the pump off a relay, I've got a funky relay that is enclosed in a small 29mm x 25mm x 12mm clear plexi box!(W00T!) it's rated for 10amps 250vAC , it has another rating under it that says "1/2 HP 277vAC",what's that about?. it's got two connectors (AC) so you can have it 'normaly on' or 'normaly off'...

I'll get the digi camera working loaded up on the PC and upload some pics, then abit of help/input/advice would be appreciated on layout ect...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2002, 06:16 AM   #2
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

nice, haven't seen alot of pix from the brits side of watercooling. you know that we all love pics here, so eat your heart out with the cam.

u haven't, by any chance, ordered the atlantis block have ya? i'm dying to have a look on the inside of that block.
Unread 11-28-2002, 07:01 AM   #3
MadDogMe
Thermophile

No!!, I wish I had!, I got a Maze3:1 three months ago, mainly because they were popular, and the site where I brought from's only pic of the Atlantis was of a 'darkroom' with a 'Bluuu LED' glowing in it!, brilliant for advertising a waterblock Eh? ...

I'd love to see inside an Atlantis as well, if it's how I think it is it'll be pefrect for my tweaking needs, I'd make some small holes between each fin getting bigger nearest the fin furthesth from the outlet. I think the 'star shaped' fins are hollow in the middle with a 'gap' between the ones furthest from the outlet(there's a wall/divider to the right of the outlet) and maybe the ones next to them as well(clockwise). the only pic I've seen was of a 'beta' version that had gaps between all the fins. when I asked Jess about a pic he said something about 'wanting to copy it eh?' (semi joking I think). I don't though, I just want to make sure I know what I'm buying!, don't want to make the same mistake twice. the Maze3 is an good~OK block, but the two central channels is a bad design IMO :shrug: ...

An Atlantis is on the cards though, I think it'd lend itself to a highpressure pump if the inlet was optimised for 'jetting' and the outlet was made 5/8 to reduce backpressure. it's that or make my own or mod up a Thermaltake 1U thinfin thing ...
Unread 11-28-2002, 07:54 AM   #4
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

There is a review of atlantis vs neptune vs maze 3 here

http://www.coolhardware.co.uk/module...wcontent&id=41

8-ball
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2002, 08:00 AM   #5
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
I'd love to see inside an Atlantis as well, if it's how I think it is it'll be pefrect for my tweaking needs, I'd make some small holes between each fin getting bigger nearest the fin furthesth from the outlet. I think the 'star shaped' fins are hollow in the middle with a 'gap' between the ones furthest from the outlet(there's a wall/divider to the right of the outlet) and maybe the ones next to them as well(clockwise).
exactly what i was thinking, but i had to deduct that same supposed fact out of one of the pics jess posted on these forums. i would like to make a rotor style translation of that block.

it seems hardly possible for anything else to be in the center then that cavity. or else, all the incoming water will immediately be deflected on the center of the star. so logically there is no other possibility.
Unread 11-28-2002, 10:02 AM   #6
MadDogMe
Thermophile

What's a 'Rotor style translation'?, I'm intrigued! ...

Jess showed a pic on this forum in the 'Ultimate waterblock' thread, well one of them!. it was a beta block though, it had gaps between all of the fins. if the 'star' was a clock, I'd say from 11 to 3or4 o'clock have gaps between them, the rest are closed (the wall/divider for the outlet is just before 11 o'clock). with an increased flow speed I think you could open a smaller gap between the others as well, a small hole at the bottom between the fins...

Here's a good pic without barbs, I don't know if it's the final revision or a beta block: Atlantis from OCPC manufacturer website OCPC Manufacturers Website ...
Unread 11-28-2002, 06:40 PM   #7
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Glad to see you are getting your new set up underway Maddog.

I'd be interested to see pix of the Atlantis before you start modding it and then afterwards as well. Sounds like you're going to dimple it where ever there is flat "flooring", cool.

I have to admit I lost the pic in my mind of your intended mods to your case arangements. That will be very interesting to me as well. I've never tried anything like that.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2002, 04:29 AM   #8
MadDogMe
Thermophile

No it's an upright bit. (I'll have to suss out how to upload FTP stuff and post pics and images soon, I'm just so lazy!, specialy in the winter ) I've tried to think of a way to explain it better but it's too early for me yet ...
Unread 11-29-2002, 04:34 AM   #9
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

maddogme; without doubt u know the rotor blox with simple drill holes connected by dremel; to form canals.

so i will make something in acad that will make u understand better...
Unread 11-30-2002, 04:35 AM   #10
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Well I got the Abyss!, but my Bro~inlaw forgot to order the 3 120mm fans! ...

my mistuuk g.l.amour!, I thought you were gonna mod the Atlantis. I keep missing things when reading posts lately :shrug: , I don't know why!, my eyesight's OK. someone up there must be playing tricks on me!, or I gota start drinking 3 cups of coffee and smoke 3~4 rollups before I start reading. I always read the site first thing in the morning, beats the 'Financial Times' ...
Unread 11-30-2002, 05:21 AM   #11
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

loool

damn peeps is getting funnier and funnier in here. it beats anything i otherwise would read in the morning. actually it has indeed become standard procedure...

cheers