Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-23-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
Psychotic
Cooling Neophyte

Location: currently in hiding after a recent escape from the psychiatric ward of a local hospital
Default in-line or reservoir?

Which do you prefer and why?

I'm gearing up to put together my first ever watercooling setup, but before I do I want to gather up as much information as possible so I can make a well informed decision.
Unread 03-23-2002, 10:30 PM   #2
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

the best place to gather information is here:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/search.php?s=

there you will find many answers to the inline vs res topic, along with many other questions.
DigitalChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2002, 11:17 PM   #3
redleader
Thermophile

Res is the way to go if you have room. Filling without one is a pain.

Double taps and other designs work well too if you are short on space.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2002, 11:43 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

BOTH!!! I like the inline pump with a res. It makes a good airtrap and fill station to which you can add temp monitors ect...
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2002, 11:54 PM   #5
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

yes, an in-line pump + res/air trap would be good.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2002, 01:05 AM   #6
Psychotic
Cooling Neophyte

Location: currently in hiding after a recent escape from the psychiatric ward of a local hospital

Hmm... as I may have mentioned, I'm new to watercooling so just lemme make sure I've got this straight. You fellas are talking about:

RESERVOIR ---> PUMP ---> RADIATOR ---> WATERBLOCK

Is this correct? Or do you mean have the pump in the reservoir?
Unread 03-24-2002, 01:28 AM   #7
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychotic
Hmm... as I may have mentioned, I'm new to watercooling so just lemme make sure I've got this straight. You fellas are talking about:

Is this correct?
thats about right. a pump / resevoir combo (where the pump is in the res) is convenient becuase its easy to fill / bleed. but the pump can heat the water (by a small amount, it depends on the pump). an in-line system doesnt have that issue, but its harder to fill / bleed. thats why a hybrid of the two is best; the pump is in-line, and there is a seperate res (or fill tube or air trap or whatever you want to call it). several ppl here could post pics of their stuff to show you im sure...
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2002, 06:22 AM   #8
Techguy
Cooling Savant

I use an Ehiem 1250 inline, but have a 12oz. dubro fuel tank acting as a mini res/air trap. It makes life easy. AND it auto primes my pump now!
Unread 03-24-2002, 09:02 AM   #9
Psychotic
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Techguy
I use an Ehiem 1250 inline, but have a 12oz. dubro fuel tank acting as a mini res/air trap. It makes life easy. AND it auto primes my pump now!
Again, I am somewhat new to watercooling and I'm not all that familiar with the terminology. What do you mean by air trap and auto prime?
Unread 03-24-2002, 10:10 AM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

Is this correct? Or do you mean have the pump in the reservoir?
That is how I have always ran it. Pump outside the res and going inot the rad and into the block. With an in-line pump though the res can be anywhere I would think. I am going to use a airtrap filler tube type deal for my SX830 when I get around to it.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2002, 10:37 AM   #11
Techguy
Cooling Savant

Quote:

Again, I am somewhat new to watercooling and I'm not all that familiar with the terminology. What do you mean by air trap and auto prime?
the problem with an in-line setup is that you get air bubbels in it.

An Air Trap traps these bubbels safely.

Auto-Prime has to deal with most pumps need to have water forced into them before they can pump. Gravity will pull the water out of the res and into the pump, eliminating this.

here is a pic of my setup when I was testing it.

The flow starts in the Res, pump, heatercore, maze2, res.
Unread 03-25-2002, 12:31 AM   #12
redleader
Thermophile

Air can't be pumped. So if you have airtrapped somewhere in the line, the coolant basically freezes where it is when the pump hits the air. This makes filling really, really hard if not setup right.

Are res near or around the pump keeps the air from ever hitting the pump. There are other ways to do this like a double tap (basically two air traps with a valve between them, you close the valve and add water to one which forces the air into the other, open the valve and you have a filled system), but a res is probably the simpliest.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2002, 01:15 AM   #13
Brad
Thermophile

You're best off to look at the cooling technologies article posted today, it talks about res vs inline vs res+inline pump

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2002, 10:46 AM   #14
Psychotic
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
You're best off to look at the cooling technologies article posted today, it talks about res vs inline vs res+inline pump
Aye, I read the entire article and my quandaries are no more.