Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 12-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
drani
Cooling Neophyte

Default Water block for my video card

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I looked around but didn't find any threads relating to my problem.

My system is 1-2 years old, but I've recently been looking around for help for water cooling my video card. I have two Visiontek ATI HD 3870x2 Overclocked Edition in Crossfire set up. The pictures of the card can be found here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi..._3870_x2/2.htm

The overclocked version of the card does not follow the ATI reference design so all of the water blocks out there for the 3870x2's would not fit on this card. I've looked everywhere for one. My reasons for water cooling the cards are:
1. The fans and heatsink are huge and heavy
2. Because I have two of them, the one on top gets particularly hot because of restricted airflow due to the bottom card blocking the fans. The temperature of the bottom one idles around 40 celcius while the top one idles around 65 celcius.
3. The fan noise isn't that loud, but it'd be nice to have a quieter case.
4. Currently, only my CPU is water cooled. It seems like a waste to just cool one PC component with a Zalman Reservator XT.

I want to custom build a water block for this card but do not know where to start because I do not have access to a machine shop and I'm only an amateur in building PCs. If there is anyone who can help me design a water block for the video card or anyone who knows of a company that does, it'll be greatly appreciated.
drani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: Water block for my video card

http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd-38...ter-block.html

That is $150.00.. For that price you could by a newer, faster and quieter card.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
drani
Cooling Neophyte

I've already checked that one out. In the features sections it states that it is incompatible with my card. I've called and asked danger den if they have one for my card as well. Thanks though.
drani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

drani
I'm in the same boat. Have the same video card only it is an Asus version.
I took apart the video card, removed fan and looked at the heatsink.
all it is is a piece of copper with a heat pipe soldered on it.
So I figured i would just do the same, order some copper sheet and cut it to identical size, then solder copper tubes on it and run water trhough the tubes.
at least it would e a lot quiteter then the exisiting setup.

my link to my question about right copper here.

perhaps i'll post pictures as i build it