Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 02-22-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
punctured
Cooling Neophyte

Default Block Idea/Theory

I know from research that copper is cheaper than silver but if price weren't an issue, everybody would prefer to use silver(?) What if you made a water block that was primarily copper but had silver parts included. I've included a picture of my idea. The fans are the parts made of silver. Any clues as to how well this would work? Plus how would the mixture of copper and silver parts affect oxidization/breakdown? :shrug: Thanks for your comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heatsink2.jpg (13.9 KB, 109 views)
punctured is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

That would be correct, about silver. As for mixing them, you'll have too lookup a galvanic corrosion potential chart.

Are those motorised wheels, or are they free-spinning? Is this a waterblock?

Off-hand, the only benefit I see to the wheels is if they were spinning outrageously fast, creating turbulence (hum... maybe I'll try that next!).
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
punctured
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, it is an idea for a waterblock. The wheels aren't actually attached to the top and bottom of the block therefore it doesn't have to be a silver/copper mixture. The holes holding the posts of the wheels are just barely big enough so that the wheels won't tip when they spin from the water. I was actually meaning for just the wheels (maybe the little fin too) to be silver and everything surrounding it to be copper.
punctured is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
hydrogen18
Cooling Savant

from what ive heard, silver is a bit soft...so it would need to be very thick....very expensive.....just go for diamond
hydrogen18 is offline   Reply With Quote