Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 05-13-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
viking66
Cooling Neophyte

things that bug me about some mods

This is just a post of things to hate about mods.. and my #1 thing is when someone paints thier case but does not paint there cdrom and or floopy drives and buttons... what do you hate?

Last edited by viking66; 05-13-2003 at 02:06 AM.
viking66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 02:09 AM   #2
ross89

I hate most "mods" unless they are for truly functional purposes. Adding a window and 4 cold cathodes really serves no purpose other than to make your computer an annoying box next to you. Off the subject i hate when lame kids post 10 huge pictures of their new "fan mod" on the forums. (sorry i had to vent on that one)
ross89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 03:53 AM   #3
viking66
Cooling Neophyte

Default one more thing

i hate when the case is painted nice and the monitor and key board are biege.
Unread 05-13-2003, 05:28 AM   #4
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

I don't hate any case mods. Howeever, I agree about the windows and lights - it seems rather pointless to me. I call them "ricers" because while it might be cute and pretty, it really doesn't do anything to help the computer to work better.
Unread 05-13-2003, 06:41 AM   #5
Axly
Cooling Neophyte

Ahh.. ricers, great expression, and works just as fine on computers. I don't really hate any mods though, but i would never keep a case that someone butchered and made into a 70's discoteque..

Ok, so some stuff that i think should be outlawed in computer cases..

- Neon lights, ccfl's and blinking stuff
(unless you actually use it for something, i have a white ccfl on a bendable thingie.. don't know the word.. as an extra lamp primarily for when i have to do stuff inside the computer)

- large windows
(unless you actually cleaned up inside the case so it's really nice to look at, i've maybe seen ten cases ever with the insides looking good enough to show off)

- forgetting to paint the cd/dvd's
(this is just not acceptable.. if you put a lot of work in painting your case, you just can't forget the drives)

- biohazard/radioactivity fanguards
(nope, can't think of any exceptions here.. )
Axly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
joemac
Cooling Savant

Windows and lights seem to serve no purpose? I have to disagree if you a running a WB; they make it very easy to spot a water leak in the dark.
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 09:29 AM   #7
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

We're talking about stuff like UV reflecting stuff, LED's on fans, and black lights used for appearance.

Unread 05-13-2003, 09:53 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

FWIW...

I think that it has to remain functional, first and foremost. I don't mind adding a few extras, to make it look nice.

It's like modding a car.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 10:39 AM   #9
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Back in my days of "car modding", if it didn't serve a purpose directly related to the safety or performance of the car, it was discarded as being excess weight.

My last 65 Mustang had no back seat, carpet, headliner, or stereo, and all of the removable body panels were made from fiberglass (including the rear bumper).

On street tires and using pump gas, it turned 13's in the 1/4 mile at OCIR, and wasn't even built to be a drag racer.

Unread 05-13-2003, 11:17 AM   #10
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

cases that have windows where there are wires n crap all over the place. kinda pointless to have a window and not organize the wiring ya know?

yea, painting the case and not painting the cd faces lol.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 11:24 AM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yeah... windows that show the PSU and/or the drive/bay area. Why?

I've been pondering painting the interior. I've seen glossy black used, which I think bites, so I'm thinking about a flat black. It should work well with 4 UV CCFLs.
Unread 05-13-2003, 09:34 PM   #12
ezlid
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by joemac
Windows and lights seem to serve no purpose? I have to disagree if you a running a WB; they make it very easy to spot a water leak in the dark.
Yep. Thats why I have a window in the hood of my truck, so I can see water, oil and ATF leaks when they start. I was going to do the wife's car but she took my Dremel away!

Sorry - get serious and do the job right the first time and you don't need to stare through a useless window looking for water leaks.

I don't get much of a thrill looking at mobos, sides of power suplies or drive cages, not to mention a tangled mass of wires.
A nicely painted case, including drive faces, is a different story.

BTW - My water cooling has never leaked, even with all the iterations.
ezlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 02:52 AM   #13
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

LOL @ window in ur hood

funny stuffs

yea ben i painted mine flat black. ya know, painting the chassis = pain in the butt haha.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 03:23 AM   #14
joemac
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by ezlid
Yep. Thats why I have a window in the hood of my truck
LOL .. Oh man I know people that have open hoods to show of their good looking engins

Quote:
Originally posted by ezlid
Sorry - get serious
On the serious side yes most of these mods are for looks – Nothing wrong with that…Doubt you will find chicks chasing you for your computer like they would for your car.
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 12:48 PM   #15
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

What about thoughs people who are always saying "Your mod looks good, just need to clean up that cabling and you'll be good to go."

I don't think there's any reason to have messy cables. But some people think it's not clean unless EVERYthing has sleeving. And you should only see the ATX power, IDE and floppy cables, and MAYBE the IDE power connectors. I think their abit too anal. I'll post my pretty clean looking case once I have my watercooling set up; so we can see what you think.
CheeseBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 12:55 AM   #16
viking66
Cooling Neophyte

Default my window does serve a purpose or 2

my window came with a cut out for a additional fan.

I added a window to my 6 year olds comp so he would be more interested in the internal workings of the computer and what each part does..

In my oppinion a mod for looks is good for a kids computer because it catches their eye and interest.
Unread 05-15-2003, 02:09 AM   #17
msv
Cooling Savant

Hate:
Multiple stroboscopes at different frequencies
Green metallic flames at black background
Goldplated fan grills
Fuzzy dice inside case
Miniature garden gnomes (except "bad" gnomes; bums, pushers, hookers, pimps, exhibionists, corpses, junkiees, gays etc.)
Stickers
Leopard style fur inside case
Aquarium toys in res

regards
Mikael S.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 02:17 AM   #18
Cooling Neophyte

People who think that blue is the only color that should be used for lighting bug me. There is a use for lighting (Show power on and HDD/Lan activity) but solid blue just sucks.

Stealthed drives, but only when there's a fanbus and lcd right above it. The concept is make the essential invisible and the non-essential extra visible.

The only time I like UV lights is when the MB and Graphics card's traces are done with a UV pen.
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:31 AM   #19
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1398342003
People who think that blue is the only color that should be used for lighting bug me. There is a use for lighting (Show power on and HDD/Lan activity) but solid blue just sucks.

Stealthed drives, but only when there's a fanbus and lcd right above it. The concept is make the essential invisible and the non-essential extra visible.

The only time I like UV lights is when the MB and Graphics card's traces are done with a UV pen.
You're going to hate my case then! I'll have 4 UV CCFLs, and I'm thinking about adding three 6 inch blue CCFLs to show off the PSU array. Otherwise, the case is going to be black, inside and out.

Quote:
Originally posted by viking66
In my opinion a mod for looks is good for a kids computer because it catches their eye and interest.
I'd agree, if it was done for that purpose, but I prefer a stealth look. It's possible to do lights, without it looking extravagant. If I wanted to make it flashy, I'd mix 6 and 12 inch CCFLs, in red, green and blue, and link some of them to the HDD activity line. Heck I'd even consider a patriotic theme, in red, white and blue, but bottom line, only my family is going to see it (and some of you, if I feel like taking a picture )

That Nexus fan controller can really throw off the look of a case. It's too "busy" looking, for a faceplate, and makes a CD drive look plain. The color choice of the faceplates is also limited. It'd probably look best under/above one of those SB modules.

I hate to see black components in a beige case, and vice versa.
Unread 05-15-2003, 01:40 PM   #20
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
You're going to hate my case then! I'll have 4 UV CCFLs, and I'm thinking about adding three 6 inch blue CCFLs to show off the PSU array. Otherwise, the case is going to be black, inside and out.
But you will have blue and UV. It's just the solid blue I hate.

I only like UVs when the traces are done, but they're generally only acceptable.
Unread 05-15-2003, 01:57 PM   #21
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1398342003
I only like UVs when the traces are done, but they're generally only acceptable.
Yeah, I've seen that, can't remember where... I might try to do it, but I know that it's not going to look good unless it's done nicely, and that also means doing it to the VC as well as the entire mobo. In fact, it might involve getting "artsy" on the insides of the case, but I'm not sure I have enough patience for that.
Unread 05-15-2003, 02:02 PM   #22
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

"Do you know what i hate.. ?"

I hate those Xmas tree mods... it looks like a bunch of mops got together and thrown a rave party inside your computer, with all the bling bling . Uv stuff, also annoys me. Or even those CCF fans.

The only neon i have is a white one for when i take off the laterals and need light to change or check the system (it's very nice). I dont even have windows : "Oh yeah, you've got a really nice computer... uuh, a graphic card , and a board! OOh, you've got a processor . I dont have those, i just use a hamster on a wheel back home "...

Besides , low EMI is better than a purty window. Specially in a saturated enviorment. Dont even get me started with those PSU acrillic mods ...
Unread 05-15-2003, 05:52 PM   #23
pokpok
Cooling Neophyte

people suggesting to put ramsinks..not a mod tho is it?
pokpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2003, 05:51 PM   #24
Talik
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by msv
Leopard style fur inside case
wow, I didn't even know that was an option! I'd probably give someone props for creativity if I saw a fur lined interior. Dice, too, are kind of funny.
Unread 05-19-2003, 12:02 PM   #25
Marci
Cooling Savant

Dunno what it's like in the US, but in the UK I hate...

Gits that go out and buy a case premodded in the tackiest of ways (eg: LianLi PC60 with window or with the fishtank panel)... who then stick a few lights in (usually 1) and then go "yes, I've modded my case... it's ace.... u should see it."

NO YOU HAVEN'T. IT CAME LIKE THAT IN THE SODDING BOX. YOU'VE DONE NAFF ALL!

And then there's the "how do I cut a blow hole"

Is it just me or is it blatantly obvious that you draw the circle the right size for your fan, mark the screw holes, drill out the holes, cut out the circle with anything capable of cutting metal! I'm sure 80% of the world were born without an ounce of common sense!

Think the worst one has got to be when they come to the shop with a case and give it the "can u put me a window in this" thang

To which I reply "yeah, u got your design?"

Their reply... "er no, don't know what I want" ( ) or even worse... "can u do me the same windows you have in your case" ( )

Grrrrrrrrrr...... PLENTY of ppl have had their heads chewed off fer that one!
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote