Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 02-07-2002, 07:35 PM   #51
simon
Cooling Neophyte

A major point in the war of heat vs speed is this, the more entusiasts like us who are willing to start using watercooling the more it is seen as aceptable, more and more companies are popping up to make a real industry out of watercooling in computers.
Everyone seems to say that swiftech don't seem so inovative and other companies. I have seen maybe 5 new designs over the past few months and they are all variations of old designs. Personally I can't see how Swiftechs new waterblock is $50, why it is the same design 100's of people have used, no r&d money here(not much anyway) and they are a big company using good equipment. Why haven't the prices come down?
More and moer people make their own due to these high prices, if they drop them, undoubtedly more would sell and they would make the same amount of money.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 12:17 AM   #52
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

And this will add to my argument. 5gig at room temp!!

5GHz cool without a fan
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2002, 03:40 PM   #53
Leuf
Cooling Neophyte

With the way processor and graphics performance have improved, in the future I tend to see the pc becoming like a home server. 1 pc in the home would provide as many virtual desktops as needed. The pc can be in a remote location, basement or mechanical room - so if needs really loud fans for cooling then it's no problem. All you have on your desk is a monitor and a little box for disk drives - no cooling required. I have a hard time thinking of 5+ ghz processors in any other context that doesn't seem like a total waste of 4 ghz
Leuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 06:27 AM   #54
Brad
Thermophile

I can see that happening too, one centralised computer doing heaps of stuff, but for people with smallish homes or apartments, you can't have a loud computer hidden away in a closet or something

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 07:55 AM   #55
Leuf
Cooling Neophyte

That's true, but in my scenerio the person in the little appartment doesn't need that pc. There's say a 2 ghz version of that core that runs cool enough to be passively cooled. At any rate, even apartments usually have a basement where all the mechanicals are located, I wouldn't necessarily want to leave my dual 10 ghz pc in the shared basement though

A nice side benefit of the central server is you could tie it into the other mechanical systems of the house.. for example you could use it's exhaust in a heat exchanger to preheat the water going to the water heater. I see lots of opportunities to do things like that.. like having 1 central very large, high efficiency halogen light provide all the general lighting for the home, transmitted through fiber optics. Again you can use it's waste heat for something constructive, while at the same time improving the efficiency of the HVAC by removing the heat output of the bulbs that used to be everywhere.
Leuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 09:46 AM   #56
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
I can see that happening too, one centralised computer doing heaps of stuff, but for people with smallish homes or apartments, you can't have a loud computer hidden away in a closet or something
I live in a small apatment, I have 3 computers in my bedroom!!! When the power went out I noticed how loud they really where. I have since made some small mods and cut the noise down. Every apartment I have lived in has a closet in the main room that would be perfect for a computer to sit in and do it's thing. The way I see it if this ever did take off it would all be wireless aswell so the comp would only need a power source.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 07:57 PM   #57
Brad
Thermophile

it wouldn't be too hard just to buy extender cables for your mouse, keyboard, monitor. Buy a nakamichi 5 disc changer so you can have all your normal cd's in there, and you'd be set....

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote