Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 08-04-2002, 09:18 AM   #1
Holy Roman Empi
Cooling Neophyte

6 Parallel Pelts

Have any of you boys ever seen the "Big Block" that Overclockers Hideout sells? Its 6 inches by 2 inches and can fit 6 48mm peltiers under it. I've been thinking about this for a while, and want to know what you guys think of putting 6 peltiers on it, then clamping it down to a 1 inch thick cold plate that tapers down to just the dimensions of the processor die. Kinda shaped like a trapezoid. I've been thinking that this could be an interesting method for some EXTREME cooling. Heck, even equipped with 80 watt peltiers, it would offer 480watts. Thats more than double the biggest, baddest single pelts I've seen on the market. Tell me if you think this is at all feasable, or if I am just a mad man.
Holy Roman Empi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 12:57 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Anyone here would tell you to stay away from OCH: if someone tries to sell you silver plated ram cooling blocks, then they're blowing wind.

Kevin here tried a similar block, but it didn't work. The coolant chiller needs to be of a whole different design, probably something like that, but in a cross drilled design. The problem is that there isn't enough time for the water to cool, and even if it does, it'll start turning to ice, so then you're looking into windshield wiper fluid.

What's not mentionned is that you need another block for the hot side, and that you have to dissipate that heat (480 watts plus what the pelts throw in), so you end up needing an array of heater cores, just so that you can put the equivalent of a 600 watt space heater in your room? No thanks. Also, these two blocks would have to be clamped, which the block isn't designed to do. It's best used as an HDD cooler, but then any 30 or 40mm fan can do that, and you can find one for a buck or two.

It is far, far cheaper to do the dehumidifier thing.

Last edited by bigben2k; 08-04-2002 at 12:59 PM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
Holy Roman Empi
Cooling Neophyte

I think you misunderstand me. I dont want to use the big block to cool the water down. I want to use it to pull the heat away from the 6 pelts. the cold side would be sucking the heat out of the processor via the trapezoidal cold plate. I'm well aware that the block isn't designed with holes to mount a cold plate through, but I do have a drill press handy.
Unread 08-04-2002, 07:08 PM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Ok, then, but it's still an unusual idea. Your trapezoid would be quite large, in order to accomodate the 2 x 2 in of the CPU, and you're going to exceed AMD block weight specs. Ignoring that, you're still putting your CPU in significant danger of being crushed.

Regardless, the baseplate thickness, needs to be pretty slim, and unless you plan to mount those pelts in a radial pattern, you're looking at quite a gap between the CPU and pelt. You need to concentrate the cooling on that small footprint, there's not really any way around it.

Your best bet is to do what Kevin did, but without the mistake he made, whatever that was (no clamping? no cross drilled block?).

Good luck.

edit: did you consider the power requirements of 6 pelts?
Unread 08-04-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
Holy Roman Empi
Cooling Neophyte

lol, I know the risk I am running by putting that much weight on the CPU. Most really good HSF exceed the AMD weight limit anyway. Dont tell me a PAL8045 is within spec. I was actually thinking of mounting it with a similar setup as the Alpha, with the 4 springloaded screws. Its a darn good thing that AXP 1600's are virtually dirt cheap right now.
Unread 08-05-2002, 02:06 AM   #6
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Good luck making that thing condensation proof.
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 09:45 AM   #7
Holy Roman Empi
Cooling Neophyte

Coat the sides of it in silicon, leaving only the contact patch with the CPU, and side that mounts up to the peltiers bare. Yeah, I considered the power requirment of 6 pelts too. I'm looking at spending about 250 bucks on a pair of powersupplies designed to run Ham radios at 13.8V. I was told by some friends that if I really wanted to do something this crazy, that the procooling forums would be the place to get advise. It might have been nice if it came in something other than the form of, "Its too hard, lets just give up now" Unless you can point me at someplace that sells peltiers of extremely high power, then this is what I'm going to do, seeing as how none of you mentioned anything I hadn't already thought of. Whether you are unwilling or unable to offer advice as to how to go about doing it, I dont know, but I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thank you BigBen for your attempts at being informative. Airspirit can go blow goats for as much as I care, as he didn't even attempt to be helpful, and this thread was not designed for you to ridicule my intelligence by thinking I was too lame to consider condensation.
Unread 08-05-2002, 10:29 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Well look, I've pointed out the problem with your idea (which is a good one btw) and that is that there will be too much distance between the 6 pelts and the CPU die. Even if you made this trapezoid out of solid silver, this huge trapezoid is going to have a very cold part, and a very hot part.

To put it more simply, the cooling effect of the pelts won't reach the CPU.

If you could minimize the distance (or thickness) by putting these pelts in a radial pattern, i.e. a half-sphere type thing, with a pelt on top, and 5 pelts around the sides, then you'd have a better chance. The problem of course, is that it won't fit on the mobo.

Now if you go back up, you'll see a reference to using this block as a chiller, but that particular design (big block) won't work.

It is possible to use 6 pelts, but it would be far more efficient to use them as chillers.

So do you want to pursue the idea of using 6 pelts on the CPU, or will you consider designing a chiller? Either way...