Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-17-2001, 11:53 PM   #1
Cablepro
Cooling Neophyte

Default Help watercooling with an ice chest

Maybe this is beating a dead horse, but would I be able to have my reservior be an ice chest filled with ice and water? Anybody seen a setup like this? and any idea how often I would have to add ice to this?

I just don't want to get into peltiers because I don't want to get into a second PSU or bigger replacement
Cablepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2001, 12:58 AM   #2
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

You could totally do that. however, you'd need to constantly maintain the ice (dunno how often), the pump would have to be strong, and you'd have to insulate all of the hose and waterblock... dunno if its worth it.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2001, 05:30 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
Cooling Neophyte

I had a similar setup, you can see it on my site. But I ditched the idea. first of all, condensation was a BIG problem. second, it's very bulky, and third, it needs refilling very often...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2001, 06:29 AM   #4
Cablepro
Cooling Neophyte

damn...well, my T-bird chip runs 1400, but it runs in the 50C range full load, and I don't like that...I also don't like all the fan noise I have...4 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans, and a monster2 cooler...

could I set up an effective watercooling setup that will keep this near room temperature(70F) WITHOUT peltiers? and could this setup be QUIET?

[This message has been edited by Cablepro (edited 01-18-2001).]
Cablepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2001, 09:25 AM   #5
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

this post got me thinking. I've never seen anyone use a peliter powered ice chest. Cause I got 3 heatsinks and a 2 peliters out of one. But i've never seen anyone use a functioning one(mine was functioning but I didn't need the chest). Just fill it up with ice and water, turn the chest on, let it cool the mixture down some more and then start watercooling. Kinda similar to a peliter raditor but on a larger scale.

------------------
Watercooled K6-2 450 at 600
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2001, 09:46 AM   #6
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Thats just another form of a pelt cooled heat exchanger. prolly wont be that effective, but couldnt hurt. ( but it would be a big mutha cooling system as one of those Pelt cooled coolers are not small.)
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote