Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 09-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #1
guerd87
Cooling Neophyte

Default peltier help

hey guys, i was thinking about trying to use a peltier on my cpu r as a waterchiller, i have not had much experiance, so was just going to try one of these peltiers, now, will this make a difference on my current asetek watercooling kit? and will my generic 350w PSU be enough to power it?

cheers
guerd
guerd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2003, 01:28 AM   #2
joemac
Cooling Savant

Peltiers are cool – Literally. I would not use the same power supply to power the Peltier. I will give you two reasons 1- They consume a large amount of power 2- Peltiers usually used to cool CPU are the happiest at 16v. Also Peltier work best when they are sandwich in-between the block and Peltier plate (see picture). The best performing blocks for Peltier right now are the pin style blocks. You could buy a complete Peltier and block assembly or you could assemble your own and learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aquajoe.com water block.jpg (70.9 KB, 85 views)
Unread 09-27-2003, 01:44 AM   #3
guerd87
Cooling Neophyte

what type of psu should i get, would a 200w do, and how do i hook 2 psu's up to 1 system?

also, how do i go about insulating the socket, do i need to do alot?

guerd
Unread 09-27-2003, 01:51 AM   #4
audi_boy_racer
Cooling Neophyte

Im not 100% about this so maybe i might learn from this as well. but i think that an 80W Peltier isnt going to be strong enough to cool it below 0 or freezing point (if thats what you want) depending on what CPU you got. well thats from what i read around in these forums
audi_boy_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2003, 01:54 AM   #5
guerd87
Cooling Neophyte

atm i have a xp 1600+ @ 1.69, i am using falconrockII heatsinnk, and is 36c idle on air, havnt setup watercooling asyet, so am still learning, i dont know if i want below zero, if it is not good enough when i try, might buy a bigger one, i just dont want to buy a big one first off if doesnt work out
Unread 09-27-2003, 02:11 AM   #6
joemac
Cooling Savant

That’s right if you want to cool a CPU to 0 or the freezing point I would recommend at least a 175 W Peltier. The lowest temperature reached using any type of Peltier depends on many factors, one of which is the load being applied. The picture below shows a aquajoe block using a 50 W T.E.C. notice the temperature difference between the hot side and cold side. The block was working using no running water (something you don’t want to do). Do not skimp out on compressing on the Peltier AKA T.E.C. The main reason for this is that when the T.E.C is on it will flex due to the extreme temperatures (again see the picture below) – The hot side will expand and the cold side will contract. Before you choose your power supply pick out the T.E.C. This way you could match your power supply to your T.E.C. Make sure that your power supply can provide the current need to power your T.E.C. If you are going to be looking for a T.E.C to run using a computer supply try to find one that is rated at 16 Volts. The reason for this is that you don’t want to supply the T.E.C with the full 16 V but only with about 75%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aquajoe-block-tec-and-no-water.jpg (21.0 KB, 80 views)
Unread 09-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #7
joemac
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by guerd87
also, how do i go about insulating the socket, do i need to do alot?

guerd
I used petroleum jelly but I am sure that there is better way of preventing condensation. Maybe someone else might have a suggestion -
Unread 09-28-2003, 10:43 PM   #8
maxim
Cooling Savant

make a box around the cpu socket. it might be very hard if you have a tight space on your mobo. if you seal that box, then there is no need for doing anything to the socket itself.
maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2003, 11:45 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Joe covered this here:
http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...per_coolin.php

Vaseline is fine.

The box ought to work, assuming that there isn't much humidity in it.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote