Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
-=Mr_B=-
Cooling Neophyte

Default What happened to the Jet design? (Cathar, where are you? ;-)

I thought i should ask, and i might as well do it here. Cathar offhanded the Storm/G7 thingy to Swiftech who since then pretty much did... Nothing to it? It's now again replaced with microchannel designs, or micro "pin array designs" and every company with any "pride" has plate with a bunch of holes in different patterns in there block. These are usually called "jet plates" or something stupid like that, even as they aren't anything like the jets i've been expecting to see.

So, my question is... What happened? Did everyone decide that microchannel designs were better when i looked the other way, or is it simply cost in manufacturing making the blocks with this design to impractical, or even impossible to turn a profit on?

I miss the good old days. It feels like only yesterday...
B!
-=Mr_B=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: What happened to the Jet design? (Cathar, where are you? ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Mr_B=- View Post
I thought i should ask, and i might as well do it here. Cathar offhanded the Storm/G7 thingy to Swiftech who since then pretty much did... Nothing to it? It's now again replaced with microchannel designs, or micro "pin array designs" and every company with any "pride" has plate with a bunch of holes in different patterns in there block. These are usually called "jet plates" or something stupid like that, even as they aren't anything like the jets i've been expecting to see.

So, my question is... What happened? Did everyone decide that microchannel designs were better when i looked the other way, or is it simply cost in manufacturing making the blocks with this design to impractical, or even impossible to turn a profit on?

I miss the good old days. It feels like only yesterday...
B!
Pins design is more flexible and works better at lower flow rates. Manufacturing is much easier as they are either casted or milled with fast efficent cross cut bits. Swiftech had to pick the one that is overall most effective for their lineup. The pin grid was it. Others went the same direction for the same reasons.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
RedRaider
Cooling Neophyte

What happened is that the processor heat loads increased and the micro channel base plate design with a jet plate is a much more efficient design.
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Damn, impressive 5 year later post

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2015, 12:00 AM   #5
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

A'men! What's new?
Unread 06-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
-=Mr_B=-
Cooling Neophyte

It's a good thing old threads never die.
So, anyway.
What you guys are saying is that my Cascade (if i can find it) would perform worse then a "modern" design, and if i'm to build a new WC system, i need to grab a new block to go with it?

Hey, it's my old thread, i should be allowed to resurrect it.
-=Mr_B=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

*Hay all guys!*

AFAIR, Jet design was better because it was able to cool off the hot spots of an overclocked processor better than others, so it could maintain a higher overclock, even if it didn't show on temperatures.

But now, processors come with heat spreaders. so thats advantage fades away.

I wounder if it would still be the best watercooler block for dellided processors...
Unread 07-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
rhkcommander
Cooling Neophyte

CPU tdps haven't really increased much, I have used a swiftech mcw-6000, apogee gt, and an mcw-5002 on lga 1366 hexacores. Obviously some newer designs do better, but they all worked.

I only stopped using the mcw-5002 so I could build a new cold plate and use it on socket 939 with the peltier again. I got this whole kit at a garage sale for 20$ back in the day, I shoehorned it from the socket-462 setup, to use on 939 for a long time, eventually adding a mounting plate for all sockets.... Even had the meanwell aux. psu, two 120mm rads, reservoir, etc. I could tell the guy fried his CPU, also had trouble with the cheap reservoirs leaking on him. His loss, my gain! Sadly the base plate was offset for 462, and i screwed up trying to sand off the nub. Never could get a new base plate until I made my own from a copper bar. Trying to add pic, if it worked you can see me universal adapter and copper bar baseplate. Otherwise it worked great without the peltier as a normal water block. Could never find prettier barbs, I tried the o-ring chrome style ones but they wouldn't seal up... NPT vs parallel

The apogee GT was one of those jet designs... Worked great on quad lga 775 and 1366 from what I recall, I have a few lying around. Never modified one yet, I recall you could drill another return hole, and open up the jets for better flow without losing much if any efficiency...

Found this article while trying to look up my old block
http://www.procooling.com/index.php?...ticles&disp=84

-----------

Found a picture of the pin blocks from an old xs thread... also added pics of my old 939 setup without the peltier, felt period correct
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heat sink adapter.jpg (108.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg G4_G5%20002.jpg (100.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg iceberq 4.jpg (222.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by rhkcommander; 07-17-2017 at 04:12 PM.
rhkcommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
RedRaider
Cooling Neophyte

I happen to be another proud member of the 'Cathar Storm CPU Block Club'...

RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2018, 02:21 AM   #10
Henning
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhkcommander View Post
The water cooling parts were from a garage sale, a guy nuked his socket A setup with the peltier so I got it for 20$, I've had the 939 since 939 was new

First exercise with Blackwolf Pre Workout and computer I built myself 100%, started with a x1300xt from sapphire, quickly moved up to a sapphire x1950pro, dual 3870's from HIS, kept it up to date until gtx 560 ti - even tried windows 10 on it, ran well but the DFI boards were limited to 4gb, so I started experimenting with the asus motherboards that could do up to 16gb on 939 until I had a house fire recently, so all of that stuff is either ruined or packed up, I'm not 100% sure.
Your 939 setup looks great. How old is it at this point btw?

Last edited by Henning; 12-06-2021 at 03:58 AM.
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #11
rhkcommander
Cooling Neophyte

The water cooling parts were from a garage sale, a guy nuked his socket A setup with the peltier so I got it for 20$, I've had the 939 since 939 was new

First computer I built myself 100%, started with a x1300xt from sapphire, quickly moved up to a sapphire x1950pro, dual 3870's from HIS, kept it up to date until gtx 560 ti - even tried windows 10 on it, ran well but the DFI boards were limited to 4gb, so I started experimenting with the asus motherboards that could do up to 16gb on 939 until I had a house fire recently, so all of that stuff is either ruined or packed up, I'm not 100% sure.
rhkcommander is offline   Reply With Quote