Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
koolguy
Cooling Neophyte

Default oil cooling without submerging!!!!

Hello everybody,
I want to start playing around with oil cooling. Now, Submerging a MB in oil is totally nuts...But..

What I am thinking is something like a water cooling system but running oil in it.

Does anybody know about any website to start reading about it?

Thank you in advance.
koolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Default Re: oil cooling without submerging!!!!

Wouldn't yield better results than water or antifreeze... so kind of pointless. I think it would be harder on the pump... and awful if you got a leak.
Unread 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
koolguy
Cooling Neophyte

Regarding of leaking...water of antifreeze on the MB is a real electrical mess, even though oil on MB just sticky not electrical issues. Also oil has better heat conduction characteristics than water.

What i am trying to avoid is noise. A radiator and a big fan make a good job, also a lot of noise.
Unread 11-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

To avoid noise, you want better cooling. Water or a water / antifreeze mixture will work better than oil for heat conducting and transfer. (I'm pretty sure)

I'd rather have water or antifreeze on my board than oil. I've dumped distilled water on a board in a running system while topping off a loop once. I patted it with a paper towel and the mess was gone and the machine didn't even freeze. Computer boards are laminated... and water is a poor conductor. Corrosion in a PCIe slot can SUCK though... ruined a video card for me, but a good cleaning with alcohol and a tooth brush seemed to revive the board.

Bottom line, oil is a bad idea. Unless you can show me some numbers saying it conducts heat better than water...
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
koolguy
Cooling Neophyte

the coolant could be water antifreeze or freon.....my main concern is noise.....
By the way...Is antifreeze also a poor conductor???
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Ehh... you wouldn't be using freon in any type of water cooling system, that's a whole other category of cooling. Antifreeze I don't think conducts heat better than water, but it worth the piece of mind and protection against corrosion. It's also good for your pump because it lubricates.

Tags
oil, water block