Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 12-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Default Where to buy copper?

I looked on ebay and found this, which looks like an ok deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Copper-Flat-Bar-...1%7C240%3A1318

I've also tried calling a local scrap metal place but they never have anything. Anybody have a better place to look? Or cheaper? I want either some 1/2 thick or 1/4 thick and some 1/8 thick too. Thinking of watercooling my PSU, maybe some custom NB blocks too, try out my new drillpress
Unread 12-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: Where to buy copper?

Where I used to buy it.

www.onlinemetals.com
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...253&top_cat=87
Seems like ebay is cheaper?
Unread 12-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben333 View Post
Yes, the e-bay is cheaper in price but it is not C110 as is the online metals stuff. The ebay stuff you linked is C182. It doesn't have the same thermal characteristics as C110. C110 if I remember is around 391W/m and C182 is 323W/m. Not a huge difference so the price maybe worth it. 6061-T6 Aluminum 180 W/m and Silver is 429W/m.
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Well, I've never made a real waterblock before other than an endcap block or something involving spare aluminum and epoxy so I think the cheaper copper might be good for me to practice with. Do you have a link to a design I can print out like one of #Rotor's designs?

EDIT: Found this guide with some printouts: http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...=78&howtoID=34

Last edited by ben333; 12-30-2008 at 01:32 AM.
ben333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Yeah, it should be ok. Just remember different copper alloys have different machine properties. Some are a lot harder to work with than others. I have no direct experience with C182 so not sure if it is easier or harder to work with. Copper in general is a pain in the ass. Make sure if you use small drill bits to go ultra-slow or you will break it off in the block and they are a real nightmare to get out if you even can. Lots of WD-40 and slow drilling. Pull the drill bit in and out to keep the bit clear as it will gum up quickly.
Unread 01-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Well I did up a pair of VRM blocks over the weekend and a NB block with acrylic top. I used use a 1/2 inch bit on the NB block to try and bore out the copper and it looks like it should work well. I'll post pics of the VRM blocks later, here is the NB block all glued together:

Even with a clamp on it I seem to have some bubbles in the seal, not too worried about leaks though. Still needs a good sanding to the base.

Heres my messy messy case right now, you might be able to see the mosfet blocks above and to the left of my CPU block, also the manifolds I made so I could use 1/4 fittings on the mosfet blocks and not have a lot of flow loss. It breaks the 1/2 line in my GPU loop into four 1/4 lines, one for each block and two just go back into the other manifold directly. Only problem with the VRM blocks is that gigabyte decided to place slightly taller resistors in between the mosfets But I'm using the stock thermal pads and I've got an OK mount. Reason for two loops is because I've got a heatercore in my window with a 100 CFM fan (well insulated) chilling my CPU.
Unread 12-14-2009, 05:45 AM   #8
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Uhhh... huh.

Heres a shot of the mosfet blocks in action since I never posted one:

Did a 1/2 -> 4x 1/4 so I wouldn't loose flow or have to route my big tubing so much. No longer using those though, had a small leak and have been fine back on air since.