Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-13-2002, 04:19 PM   #1
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Got the Z4 today...

schoolie sent me a Z4 to test.

So far I am not even sure it is worth mounting but I will later. This block is pathetic in alsmost every way. The only thing I give them a thumbs up on is the actuall milling. It is done well inside and out. BUT that dosn't mean it will work. The first flaw I noticed is it has the 1/2" barbs on this one. These barbs cover a channel and a half!!! You can look down the hole and see one full channel and 1/2" of the one next to it. That just cannot be good. And the channels are tiny which I expected, but I thought they where deep to make up for the lack of width but they are not deep either. 1/2" barbs will be totally worthless in any respect. Why they would sell them with 1/2" barbs even on a custom order is just rediculous. 1/4" barbs is what they need to stick with ONLY as any wider and is exposes the other channels beside it. I can't think that is good for flow. The bottom is epoxieed on with 4 screws for support which is ok. The barbs are also epoxed on and are definatly leakless.

I am putting together a 1/2" system and will test this thing later this week.

So far it looks like the "Chrome Orb" of the water cooling world.

Once I test it I will tear it apart and take some better pics.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2002, 04:21 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

ummm, they didn't even use real copper, just some garbage alloy.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2002, 04:23 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotechnic
ummm, they didn't even use real copper, just some garbage alloy.
Well it has a copper/silver (I think) alloy bottom and a aluminum anodized top.

Last edited by jaydee116; 02-16-2002 at 07:26 PM.
Unread 02-13-2002, 05:23 PM   #4
schoolie
Cooling Savant

Default What he said:D

Yeah, man. You pretty much covered it:

1. Mounting is a pain in the butt
2. Water channel is tiny. The photos are so misleading on the web site.
3. 1/2" fittings will spray into adjacent channel
4. No mass to it. It prolly weighs about 100g.

My system wouldn't even post when I first installed it. I had to reduce my multiplier and bring the Vcore down. In summary, basuras, but it would be ok, if your CPU is pushing less than 75W.
schoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2002, 09:58 PM   #5
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

TEE HEE...OHH HOOOOO OHHHH MYYYYYYY...HAHAHAHAHAHA HEEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEE HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH OHHH HOOOO..... Stop, my sides are hurting. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH HOOOOO HOOOOOOO HEEEEEEE HEEEEE HAAAAAAA HAAAAAA...........

Look MAAAA...... Worthless Block! But I made it for a celeron 300........
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2002, 10:03 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
TEE HEE...OHH HOOOOO OHHHH MYYYYYYY...HAHAHAHAHAHA HEEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEE HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH OHHH HOOOO..... Stop, my sides are hurting. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH HOOOOO HOOOOOOO HEEEEEEE HEEEEE HAAAAAAA HAAAAAA...........

Look MAAAA...... Worthless Block! But I made it for a celeron 300........
HEHEHE, yeah, it hasn;t scaled very well for sure. I think it did pretty good for Durons back in the day.

Through me some feed back on www.custom-cooling.com so far. Anything you would change/edit so far?
Unread 02-13-2002, 10:15 PM   #7
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Im gonna do a little more in depth wirte up on the water block production, from a major manufature point of view, and then from mine as a small guy. Showing some of the advantages and disadvantages of both. And the cost difference of each. I have to say, U are getting it together nicley.

Ill get U some write ups pretty soon. But U better check my spelling and gramar. LOL No really.... U better, I suck at typing, if U hadnt already noticed.
Unread 02-13-2002, 10:25 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Im gonna do a little more in depth wirte up on the water block production, from a major manufature point of view, and then from mine as a small guy. Showing some of the advantages and disadvantages of both. And the cost difference of each. I have to say, U are getting it together nicley.

Ill get U some write ups pretty soon. But U better check my spelling and gramar. LOL No really.... U better, I suck at typing, if U hadnt already noticed.
Cool, Send them to me and I will run through it and turn it into HTML and post it. My HTML editor has spell check luckily.
Unread 02-13-2002, 11:14 PM   #9
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Man it is hard to get a decent pic down the barb hole!!

Here are a few pics.

Unread 02-13-2002, 11:15 PM   #10
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Sent U part one
Unread 02-13-2002, 11:16 PM   #11
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Quote:

To the pics
Unread 02-13-2002, 11:26 PM   #12
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Sent U part one
Just posted it. You did pretty good on the spelling!!!
Unread 02-13-2002, 11:32 PM   #13
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Office 2000 spell checker BAY_BEEEEEEEEE!

U know I bet with some good modifications, the z4 could be a good block. I has some beautiful machine work. To bad they were careless in the end.
Unread 02-13-2002, 11:34 PM   #14
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

also in the write up, I did not exagerate the prices at all, if anything I cut some corners. Its pretty accurate, so, do me a favor, and get me a total on the price, I never did add them up.
Unread 02-13-2002, 11:39 PM   #15
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
also in the write up, I did not exagerate the prices at all, if anything I cut some corners. Its pretty accurate, so, do me a favor, and get me a total on the price, I never did add them up.
Yeah I will. I need to proof read it again anyway. I spotted a few minor errors. Looks good though.
Unread 02-14-2002, 02:33 AM   #16
Brad
Thermophile

exactly what I feel like right now, the bit about the channels overlapping is unbelievable, I'm still shocked/amazed

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2002, 11:12 AM   #17
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

I really hope OCH and CPUfx are forced out of buisness by "back yard opperations" like DDen and DTEK. Thats just sad. Just goes to show how over the top marketing will get people to buy anything. And to think of the review ipkonfig gave it. It just makes me sick to my stomach.
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2002, 01:15 PM   #18
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

What I don't understand is why this outfit dosn't make a new block??? Why stick with this old one? Why nor improve upon it?They appear to have the milling knowlage to do good things but they seem to want to milk this one block out for all it's worth and then some. I will hook it up later today and see what it can do, but I am not expecting good results.
Unread 02-14-2002, 01:53 PM   #19
iceheart
Cooling Savant

I think Fixittt said it best
Unread 02-14-2002, 05:15 PM   #20
Brad
Thermophile

the thing is, the Z4 is only 6 months old, it is their new super competitive block (supposedly) they won't be introducing something new for a while

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 02-14-2002, 05:30 PM   #21
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
the thing is, the Z4 is only 6 months old, it is their new super competitive block (supposedly) they won't be introducing something new for a while
I thought this was a year or so old. They need to rethink this especially with the 1/2" barbs.
Unread 02-14-2002, 05:52 PM   #22
Brad
Thermophile

hehe nope, it is their latest and greatest, and they still love it

Unread 02-14-2002, 10:20 PM   #23
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Well I can almost garantee i will have it hooked up tomorrow although I am not looking forward to it. I have to remove the freeking mobo because the stupid a$$'s made some kind of retarded hold down mounting deal The holes do not line up and they made some goofy plastic adapters. Will post pics on all that BS tomorrow aswell.

Last edited by jaydee116; 02-16-2002 at 07:29 PM.
Unread 02-14-2002, 11:56 PM   #24
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
I missed this post!! After I get through testin it I am thinking about making a new bottom to fully utilize the 1/2" barbs. If it work out I wll shoot them an e-mail and see if they tell me to piss off or not. They really don't need to be ripping people off with these.

If I do come up with something better I will ship it back to you schoolie with the mods.
Unread 02-15-2002, 01:03 AM   #25
schoolie
Cooling Savant

Thanks JayDee! I don't know if it's worth the effort, unless CPUfx will pay you for your work.
I still don't understand the purpose of their mounting scheme. Maybe it reduces the torque each spring exerts on the block about the core, reducing the effects of uneven tension...Then again, maybe it's just a bad idea.
schoolie is offline   Reply With Quote