Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-29-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
Zax
Cooling Neophyte

Default Side panel reservoir

I like lots of water in my computer, but the standard reservoirs available dont hold much water so I built this...

...my side panel reservoir. The whole system holds 2 litres of water

Easy to keep track of the water temps.

A close up look of all those nice little bubbles. My cam's flash is spoiling the effect here though.

One without the flash.
Zax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
killernoodle
Thermophile

Now that is badass. I have been thinking about making one of those for a while now, Nice to see it implemented cleanly. BTW, nice monitor/desk setup!

Next step: goldfish...
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
AntiBling
Cooling Savant

Algae will love that. Looks cool though.
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Needs fish! Looks good man, good job!
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
trit187
Cooling Savant

toss some fake fish in. a store near me had a side panel like that..
trit187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
msull
Cooling Neophyte

Nice, that looks cool.
msull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
firtol88
Cooling Savant

Nice work
firtol88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
Polski Radon
Cooling Neophyte

What a coincidence, this is exactly the same as I was planning of doing for the last year. I'm out of money, so kudos for the great work

I got the basement of a new house we are building, which gets pretty cold. I was planning of having a flat fish tank (sans the fish ) next to a wall and connecting it to my PC's watercooling rig, without the radiator. The radiator would be connected to a cheap pump and it would be thermally controlled to turn on once the temperature gets high, say 40-50 degs. This would allow me to have a very quiet WC system with only 1 pump working all the time, and the heat from the tank and rad would keep me from freezing.

I'll see if my plan would materialise in the future.

Addicted to folding club member #4

Visit Gdansk!

Dulce et Decorum est pro Patria Mori
Polski Radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 10:38 PM   #9
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

That looks excellent man!! Great job!! I was wondering though since I have the same model case as you do (CoolerMaster ATC-201 series right?), I was wondering where you mounted your radiator/heatercore and what kind you have. Also, could you possibly post some pic's of your blowhole up top? From the best I can tell it looks like you modded it to fit a 120mm fan (but I don't see a fan??) so if you could explain that it'd help me out when I go to cut up my case for watercooling. Good hack job btw on the drive cage and blowhole......... and did I mention your res looks frickin awesome?!?!!
SnowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #10
Zax
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the nice compliments guys,

Snowrider, the case is the Coolermaster ATCS 201 alright. I hacked a hole in the top becuase initially the 120 mm fan and rad sat up there, but now I've moved the rad and fan to here...

I've cut a hole in the side panel adjacent to the rad for the air intake.

Just out of interest heres my solution for mounting a water block on the northbridge chip on boards that have those silly little loops...

Hope this helps some people because I've sure learned alot from guys around here, thanks.

ZaX.
Unread 06-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #11
Zax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider
... Also, could you possibly post some pic's of your blowhole up top? From the best I can tell it looks like you modded it to fit a 120mm fan (but I don't see a fan??) so if you could explain that it'd help me out when I go to cut up my case for watercooling...
First I hacked it up like this...

As you can see I have the Waterchill Asetek kit.

Then I made a mounting bracket for the rad...

Finally I covered the mess up with some nice grills...

Hope this helps.
Unread 06-29-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
Zax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBling
Algae will love that. Looks cool though.
Hopefully the stuff won't grow because I've put two bottles of anti algae agent in there.
Unread 06-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #13
killernoodle
Thermophile

Wow, that is a very nice mounting solution for that chipset. Probably the best one I have seen yet. You can mount any standard waterblock on that , right?
Unread 06-30-2004, 12:03 AM   #14
Zax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Wow, that is a very nice mounting solution for that chipset. Probably the best one I have seen yet. You can mount any standard waterblock on that , right?
Thanks for the compliment. I haven't tried any other blocks yet but I'm sure its' just a matter of drilling the holes in those small metal bars in the right places.

Sorry the pic is a bit out of focus

I had to hack a good part of the 5 1/4 inch drive bay cage away to make room for my reservoir but I hit upon the idea of making a HDD drive cage out of the bit I cut off...

I did clean it up after this from the remanents of that mobo guide sticker.
Unread 06-30-2004, 02:38 AM   #15
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Thx Zax, that does help explain things alot. I thought of hacking the side for my future heatercore/fans but decided against it due to size restraints (I want a dual 120mm heatercore) so I'll most likely be mounting mine up top and cutting some holes up there. Since you've cut out a few pieces of the frame of the case, is it still pretty sturdy and doesn't bend or twist? I like your modded hard drive cage and your chipset mounting setup too. All in all, great work man.

PS- How did you get up the courage to hack your coolermaster case? I know I'm nervous about hacking mine lol..... it wasn't cheap.
SnowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 11:25 AM   #16
Zax
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider
... Since you've cut out a few pieces of the frame of the case, is it still pretty sturdy and doesn't bend or twist? ...PS- How did you get up the courage to hack your coolermaster case? I know I'm nervous about hacking mine lol..... it wasn't cheap.
Well firstly, I had no problems in hacking up the case because I got it for free , a mate of mine was throwing it away would you believe.

As for firmness, these cases are built like tanks compared to other cases so they can take a good battering. Having said that I tried to keep away from cutting essential parts to the case. The biggest thing I hacked out was part of the HDD bay and 5 1/4 inch bay, however I noticed only an slight decrease in the sturdiness of the case and this returned when the rad and drives were fitted anyway.

If you're going to hack up your case then try to bear in mind any future plans you might have. This machine is not my main one that's a Mach 2
Unread 06-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #17
Meethoss
Cooling Savant

Man, that's wicked