Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 02-13-2003, 01:04 PM   #76
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Also if you think you can make 12 curved "1.5 Millimeters = 0.059055 Inches" channels that precisly more power to you.

Otherwise BS! I will be very happy to see YOU prove me wrong though!
Well I would love to show you my pics. But at the moment, I will not be posting my block in a public place until I have some sort of legal protection against theft and use for financial gains by a third party.
But when I do JAYDEE.I will be more than glad show you what a REAL cnc(not a toy one)can do.

Oh and the ego bit isnt going to work with me.
I have every intention on making some money out of my design and hard work.
So, to even think that I will post any pics ect.,based on a few tuants from public forum members,is absolutely ludicrous.

Im not trusting anyone with my design..........too easy to get screwed!
LiquidRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #77
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidRulez
Well I would love to show you my pics. But at the moment, I will not be posting my block in a public place until I have some sort of legal protection against theft and use for financial gains by a third party.
But when I do JAYDEE.I will be more than glad show you what a REAL cnc(not a toy one)can do.

Oh and the ego bit isnt going to work with me.
I have every intention on making some money out of my design and hard work.
So, to even think that I will post any pics ect.,based on a few tuants from public forum members,is absolutely ludicrous.

Im not trusting anyone with my design..........too easy to get screwed!
Hehehe, I had to try! You think you have a real CNC? Here are REAL Mini mills. http://www.haascnc.com/products/defa...ails.asp?id=39

http://www.haascnc.com/products/defa...ils.asp?id=176

At one time I thought about making blocks to sell, but there is no way I would make any more money than I am at this job. And the liability is just to great. I would rather get people motivated to build their own blocks. I am working on a few tutorials on how to make a very good block from common hand tools. No mills needed!

Another notion I had is making DIY Kits. With the copper stock and directions on what to do! Still pondering this idea. I might try this out with my website. I need some source of income to buy testing equipment and the stuff I plan to test! Not to mention site upkeep. I do not want a sample sent to review, I want an actual retail version! It is to easy for a manufacturer to send you a "sweet" one to review. What is worst is a prototype style review. I pull my hair out when I see reviews based on pre-production stuff. Does no one any good.

But anyway wish you all the luck on selling your stuff. Let me know when you plan to release some pics!
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 10:45 PM   #78
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

Hehehe, I had to try! You think you have a real CNC? Here are REAL Mini mills.

YEAH, THOSE ARE PRETTY NICE...BUT I DIDNT HAVE 30 OR 40 GRAND AT THE TIME TO DUMP INTO A MILL. IT STARTED AS A HOBBY, BUT NOW HAS TURNED INTO A FULL-BLOWN ADDICTION!.........I USED TO ONLY HAVE THE 1 MILL, BUT NEEDED TO MAKE MONEY ON MY OTHER PROJECTS AND MILL SOME BLOCKS AT THE SAME TIME(I THOUGHT), SO THAT ULTIMATELY LEAD ME TO BUYING AND CONVERTING ANOTHER MILL.

At one time I thought about making blocks to sell, but there is no way I would make any more money than I am at this job. And the liability is just to great. I would rather get people motivated to build their own blocks. I am working on a few tutorials on how to make a very good block from common hand tools. No mills needed!

YEAH, I HEARD. CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW THEY COME OUT.

Another notion I had is making DIY Kits. With the copper stock and directions on what to do!

PROBABLY A VERY PROFITABLE IDEA

I do not want a sample sent to review, I want an actual retail version! It is to easy for a manufacturer to send you a "sweet" one to review. What is worst is a prototype style review. I pull my hair out when I see reviews based on pre-production stuff. Does no one any good.

YEAH, ITS VERY MISLEADING.
NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT MOST REVIEWERS DONT HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE NOR SPECIALIZED EQUIPEMENT TO DO A PROPER TESTING.

But anyway wish you all the luck on selling your stuff. Let me know when you plan to release some pics!

THANKS AND ILL BE GLAD TO!
Unread 02-13-2003, 11:31 PM   #79
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
needed!

YEAH, I HEARD. CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW THEY COME OUT.

Caps key stuck? Anyway will have one block done this weekend with instructions on how to do it. haqve all the parts and tools set. Just need the time.

Tore my mill apart tonight and looked it over. All is well. Got most of the slop out. One of the tightening screws was gone. Luckily I found it in the mess of old end mills in a box. Put the thing back together and it looks good. Still cannot figure out why the only attached the column with 2 inline machine bolts. IMO there should be either 4 or at least the 2 stagered. Putting them inline only creates a pivot point. Other than that it is good to go although I have nothing to really mill for now. Soon though, soon. I got some copper all ready to go, but I need to get this non milled block started and completed. Shouldn't take to long though.

Balinju: any ETA on when this might get milled? Will be interesting to see how it comes out.
Unread 02-14-2003, 09:28 AM   #80
Balinju
Cooling Savant

jadee116, when we will be going to start milling it I will post it on this thread. but can any of you give me a clue of how can i improve the performance of this design?

is a 2mm base enough, and 2mm channels are better that 1.5 mm channels?
Balinju is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2003, 12:46 PM   #81
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Balinju
is a 2mm base enough, and 2mm channels are better that 1.5 mm channels?
Technical questions! I have no good answer for that. I usually use trial and error, but that is probably not an option here. Someone may know how to to the calculations around here.
Unread 02-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #82
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Caps key stuck? Anyway will have one block done this weekend with instructions on how to do it. haqve all the parts and tools set. Just need the time.

Tore my mill apart tonight and looked it over. All is well. Got most of the slop out. One of the tightening screws was gone. Luckily I found it in the mess of old end mills in a box. Put the thing back together and it looks good. Still cannot figure out why the only attached the column with 2 inline machine bolts. IMO there should be either 4 or at least the 2 stagered. Putting them inline only creates a pivot point. Other than that it is good to go although I have nothing to really mill for now. Soon though, soon. I got some copper all ready to go, but I need to get this non milled block started and completed. Shouldn't take to long though.

Balinju: any ETA on when this might get milled? Will be interesting to see how it comes out.
Why dont you put some extra screws into the column for added strength.Ive heard that it is quite effective.

Didnt realize I had the caps lock on...my bad.

You adjust the gibs on the table and it still has slop in it??
Thats strrange.Maybe your dovetails are bent in the middle of the table or the ends....maybe even on the saddle......have you looked at them to see??
That would be the only reason I can think of that would cause the table to be snug at one point, and loose at another, and cause "slop" in travel.
I hear that they are nice little mills, but people always seem to complain about the flexability of the material(Alum) it was made of, and how it just not ridgid enough for their liking....they should have made it out of cast iron or something a tad bit stronger.

Well anyway jaydee and balinju: good luck and cant wait to hear the results
Unread 02-14-2003, 02:53 PM   #83
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Why dont you put some extra screws into the column for added strength.Ive heard that it is quite effective.

Didnt realize I had the caps lock on...my bad.

You adjust the gibs on the table and it still has slop in it??
Thats strrange.Maybe your dovetails are bent in the middle of the table or the ends....maybe even on the saddle......have you looked at them to see??
That would be the only reason I can think of that would cause the table to be snug at one point, and loose at another, and cause "slop" in travel.
I hear that they are nice little mills, but people always seem to complain about the flexability of the material(Alum) it was made of, and how it just not ridgid enough for their liking....they should have made it out of cast iron or something a tad bit stronger.

Well anyway jaydee and balinju: good luck and cant wait to hear the results
I took the whole mill apart last night. The X table is what has slop in it. The Y table is very solid. I couldn't find any visual problems. The slop is almost gone though. It is a lot better than it was.

The colum is actually steel and is plenty stout, but they put is on that AL base with only the 2 screwes and the screws are inline. I could add more screws but I am not sure if that is a good idea. Maybe they planned it that way to have some flex in it to keep other things from failing (like the AL table). It is pretty stout though for what it is. I don't for see any blocks I want to do that will really require a better mill. All my future plans are shallow passes as I can't see any reason to go with a channel style block. Why cool the area of the base that doesn't need to be cooled?
Unread 02-14-2003, 02:55 PM   #84
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

I lied on this aswell. Looks like I will have my daughter over this weekend afterall. Pretty much rules out anything that uses tools.
Unread 02-14-2003, 09:34 PM   #85
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

Come on, let the girl learn with real toys, not just silly dolls
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2003, 10:05 PM   #86
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by nicozeg
Come on, let the girl learn with real toys, not just silly dolls
Unread 02-18-2003, 12:31 PM   #87
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Adivce before milling

I need to ask a question here, what do you think will be the best to place in the middle, a cylindrical shaped pin or a cone shaped pin. I updated my cad drawing and instead of putting the cylindrical pin, I inserted a cone shaped one but 2mm shorter in height than all the other fins.

Can you give me a suggestion and tell me what is the best between the two, if they are needed, i can post new jpg images with the pin in the middle, or if needed i can also give you the .dwg or .dfx so that you can see it more clearly.

Any advice before it goes to milling??
Unread 02-18-2003, 02:14 PM   #88
Balinju
Cooling Savant

here is the final version. the outer channel was converted to an oval so that the barbs fit well. the cone in the middle was stretched again so that its height became equal to the height of the fins again

what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ovalpointedpin.jpg (27.0 KB, 167 views)
Unread 02-18-2003, 02:17 PM   #89
Balinju
Cooling Savant

?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ovalpointedpintop.jpg (43.3 KB, 168 views)
Unread 02-18-2003, 05:33 PM   #90
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

The cone is better as the flat top of the cylinder is an unnecesary restriction to the incoming water.
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2003, 05:39 AM   #91
Balinju
Cooling Savant

the block has been upgraded again. the channel had to be changed to 2mm each because we couldn't find bits of 1.5mm and this followed that i had to decrease the amount of channels. now the channels are 10 not 12 and other thing that i had to change is the outer shape because with the mill that my friend uses he cannot make ovals, only circles, so i changed the other channel to 2 pieces of 120degrees each of a circle. here is the new design, maybe something else will be changed, i will keep you updated.

This block should be ready by next week hope that it performs well
Unread 02-26-2003, 05:40 AM   #92
Balinju
Cooling Savant

sorry forgot attechment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new squirrel.jpg (22.8 KB, 141 views)
Unread 02-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #93
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

Cant wait to see the results
Unread 02-26-2003, 11:15 PM   #94
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Balinju
so i changed the other channel to 2 pieces of 120degrees each of a circle.
How is this not an oval? Why can't he do ovals? Doesn't make since....:shrug:
Unread 02-27-2003, 03:51 AM   #95
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

Quote:
How is this not an oval? Why can't he do ovals? Doesn't make since....:shrug:
Probably a manual mill that only has a rotary table??
Unread 02-27-2003, 07:01 AM   #96
hara
Cooling Savant

i am balinju, the problem jaydee116 is that this mill is only 2 axis and he told us that he can't make ovals. i don't know if there is a way and he does not know how, but that is what he told us.

in reality, it think he knows what he's saying, remember that he is the head of enginnering (all that has to do with machinary) in the university of malta. but that shouldn't be a problem, i think!!!
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:59 AM   #97
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by hara
i am balinju, the problem jaydee116 is that this mill is only 2 axis and he told us that he can't make ovals. i don't know if there is a way and he does not know how, but that is what he told us.

in reality, it think he knows what he's saying, remember that he is the head of enginnering (all that has to do with machinary) in the university of malta. but that shouldn't be a problem, i think!!!
2axis? Has to have 3. Left, right, up and down like most standard mills. Some have a 4th and a 5th, but they are not needed for ovals. If he can do a circle he should be able to do a oval. Pretty much the same thing just a flattened circle. :shrug: Head of engineering of malt UNI? Things are starting to peice together why you all are so unorganized here.....
Unread 02-27-2003, 10:01 AM   #98
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

And if he can't do ovals how is he going to do those channels? Same type of cut......
Unread 02-27-2003, 10:20 AM   #99
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
2axis? Has to have 3. Left, right, up and down like most standard mills. Some have a 4th and a 5th, but they are not needed for ovals. If he can do a circle he should be able to do a oval. Pretty much the same thing just a flattened circle. :shrug: Head of engineering of malt UNI? Things are starting to peice together why you all are so unorganized here.....
I have found that those that can, do.
Those that can't, teach.
Those that can't teach are made Head of the Department.

This is from one who has had the misfortune of having the department head as the teacher on more than a few occasions.

Bob
Unread 02-27-2003, 10:42 AM   #100
hara
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Head of engineering of malt UNI? Things are starting to peice together why you all are so unorganized here.....

Quote:
Sarcasm is yet another of the free services we offer!
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote