Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 03-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #151
hara
Cooling Savant

I Hava a maze 3 which i could compare squirrel to.

Don't worry BillA, I won't compete with your testing methodologies

I hope that we'll see results early next week.
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 03:06 PM   #152
hara
Cooling Savant

An update on what is going on. This is the final block. Initial results look promising. It performs nicely and is very unrestrictive.

The O ring fits perfectly:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1060.jpg (46.9 KB, 178 views)
- FMZ
Unread 03-22-2003, 03:16 PM   #153
hara
Cooling Savant

Milling the waterblock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1051.jpg (46.4 KB, 166 views)
- FMZ
Unread 03-22-2003, 03:18 PM   #154
hara
Cooling Savant

The barbs attached. Too bad they leaked on a brand new a7n8x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1080.jpg (55.5 KB, 159 views)
- FMZ
Unread 03-22-2003, 03:19 PM   #155
hara
Cooling Savant

But that's nothing a few araldite can't fix:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1089.jpg (49.8 KB, 158 views)
- FMZ
Unread 03-23-2003, 07:33 AM   #156
JFettig
Cooling Savant

jaydee, you amase me with how much you claim to know but dont, how you claim that the block would not be able to be milled, Its just a simple opperation for a cnc. VERY simple(regular cnc, doesnt sound like it was so much for that one) and milling the small channels, have you ever tried? I have milled MANY blocks with 1/16inch channels and have a 3/64 inch end mill sitting here to get to work.

-EDIT- oh yeah, very nice block! did you use any jet inpingement? and what did you origionally use to seal the barbs? All you need on them is a little silicone for the threads then screw them in.
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 08:12 AM   #157
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by JFettig
-EDIT- oh yeah, very nice block! did you use any jet inpingement? and what did you origionally use to seal the barbs? All you need on them is a little silicone for the threads then screw them in.
No JFettig we did not use any jet inpingement, but we did some work on the middle of the block, directly above the die of the cpu. we deigned a cone and some very small holes to create turbulance above the cpu core. it performed quite well the block when tested. on load it gave us a temperature of 36degrees (using asus probe), but we have to say that in the same loop their was being simulated the heat generated by another 12 computers. here is the link JFettig for the thread of our project.

to seal the barbs we used thread tape, a lot of thread tape, but in vain

Then we tried fiber washers and thread tape and you know what?? 3 fiber washers did not fit near each other, so our last option was araldite. we did not use silicone because we tought that it won't resist all that pressure :shrug:

Last edited by Balinju; 03-23-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Balinju is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 08:20 AM   #158
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Quote:
jaydee, you amase me with how much you claim to know but dont, how you claim that the block would not be able to be milled, Its just a simple opperation for a cnc. VERY simple(regular cnc, doesnt sound like it was so much for that one) and milling the small channels, have you ever tried? I have milled MANY blocks with 1/16inch channels and have a 3/64 inch end mill sitting here to get to work.
if you want we can post a photo of the mill
Unread 03-23-2003, 06:56 PM   #159
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

Yeah, a supposedly good machinest broke 2-3 endmills making this thing. Yeah very simple. Not to mention they where planing 1mm channels when I stated that. These are 2mm.

Whatever dude. I havn't seen jack from you that is even close to anything like this.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 09:07 PM   #160
JFettig
Cooling Savant

theres a reason I havent been posting pics of my stuff, I cannot do arcs or anything like that, you know that its virtually impossible to do on a hand cranked mill,

I beleve the reason he may have broken end mills was taking too large of passes? too low of rpms? lack of use of lube?(doubt that, from that pic)

Jaydee, Im currently running an ALUMINUM block thats outperforming a maze3... There is a reason Im not posting my stuff. When I get my anodized top for another block, Ill post that just to make ya happy.
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 09:51 PM   #161
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
theres a reason I havent been posting pics of my stuff, I cannot do arcs or anything like that, you know that its virtually impossible to do on a hand cranked mill,

I beleve the reason he may have broken end mills was taking too large of passes? too low of rpms? lack of use of lube?(doubt that, from that pic)

Jaydee, Im currently running an ALUMINUM block thats outperforming a maze3... There is a reason Im not posting my stuff. When I get my anodized top for another block, Ill post that just to make ya happy.
I can do strait cuts 1/16" aswell with hand wheels or the cnc. It is the curved cuts such as the one in this block that it a pain because the bits are under more stress. Also go back and actually READ the post in question if you havn't. It is on this thread second or third page.

Also I learned quite a bit since posting that reply. I found a way to make this squirrle block in 20 mins with .020" channles in Copper. Not on a mill BTW. But why? A 10 minute drilled base will do better.

You pretty much covered the reasons for the endmills breaking. Doesn't make it any easier though. You can snap a 2mm endmill with a 1/16" deep pass pretty easy, especially on corners. Makes these kind of blocks pretty unreasonable to make especially being a 10minute drilled base will do just as good if not better.

I have made several blocks that will beat a maze3 in ALUMINUM and I have posted them. Whats your point? Not that hard. Don't bother posting it if you plan to sell it though. Wait till the market release. Not that it really matters though...... Water cooling is getting on my bottom of my things to care about list. going to be using my mill for other things such as molds for rubber fishing lures and stuff like that. Being there isn't much use for it on water blocks anymore.
Unread 03-24-2003, 03:59 AM   #162
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Be careful using grubscrew/jubilee type clamps on silicone tubing!, they can slice straight through it!, you should realy use 'zip ties' or nylon clamps...

Fuel line clamps are better than grubscrew type ones as well, they have a small bolt and nut instead of the grubscrew, they don't oval/deform as much and give a better seal, hence why they're used on fuel lines ...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 04:24 AM   #163
theetruscan
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
Be careful using grubscrew/jubilee type clamps on silicone tubing!, they can slice straight through it!, you should realy use 'zip ties' or nylon clamps...

Fuel line clamps are better than grubscrew type ones as well, they have a small bolt and nut instead of the grubscrew, they don't oval/deform as much and give a better seal, hence why they're used on fuel lines ...
A really simple, quite effective fix for the potential damage caused by screw clamps is to wrap electrical tape around the tubing just under where the clamp will go. It prevents the damage and allows you to use the much more secure hose clamps on tubing. I prefer it.
theetruscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #164
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Quote:

The real reason is that he was in a hurry because he had other jobs to do
He cut quite deep perforations each time, about 1.5mm each time i think

btw it is performing very well the maximum load temperature was 36/37 degrees according to asus probe, but you have to remember that a heat load more than 1 kw was being simulated in the loop cooling with 4 very tall bongs

with this block we managed to overclock the amd xp 1700+ tbred B 2200mhz (12.5*176)
Unread 03-24-2003, 12:44 PM   #165
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe

i know that silicone tubing is soft but not that soft that a jubilee clip would pass straight through. i never used 'zip ties' or nylon clamps before but i found jubilee clips very usefull and they do their job very well. But maybe you are right, we could have used something else, but you know, to find something here in malta you have to order it and wait for a week. Our project was due on last saturday, and i am very happy that we managed to achieve all our goals
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:29 PM   #166
hara
Cooling Savant

Notice the centre of the block which is the most important part of the block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1058.jpg (50.1 KB, 116 views)
- FMZ
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #167
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Balinju
btw it is performing very well the maximum load temperature was 36/37 degrees according to asus probe, but you have to remember that a heat load more than 1 kw was being simulated in the loop cooling with 4 very tall bongs
So what's your water temp, with this block alone?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:35 PM   #168
Balinju
Cooling Savant

we never tried it alone and we cannot this week because the our project have to be on display till next saturday. we will inform you later ben, be patient we won't beet you radius for sure
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #169
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Balinju
we never tried it alone and we cannot this week because the our project have to be on display till next saturday. we will inform you later ben, be patient we won't beet you radius for sure
I think what he is getting at is you cannot measure the blocks performance when it is attached to this contraption. It has to be singled out and tested alone first.

When you can do that list the full computers specs with room, water, and CPU temp.
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:50 PM   #170
hara
Cooling Savant

And we'll compare it to the maze 3
- FMZ
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:59 PM   #171
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
I think what he is getting at is you cannot measure the blocks performance when it is attached to this contraption. It has to be singled out and tested alone first.

When you can do that list the full computers specs with room, water, and CPU temp.
I got what he wanted to say jaydee116, hopefully i am not that retarded but what i wanted to say is that for now we cannot, we need to wait for at least one week
Unread 03-24-2003, 03:03 PM   #172
Balinju
Cooling Savant

btw jaydee116, is the block in your avatar a micropin block? i saw it somewhere but i never found the results of this baby. can you please post the link so that i can see it ??

i think that it's quite a good block and it is worth reading something about it
Unread 03-24-2003, 03:07 PM   #173
hara
Cooling Savant

Quote:
hopefully i am not that retarded
You're so sure?
- FMZ
Unread 03-24-2003, 03:09 PM   #174
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by hara
You're so sure?

have you ever looked in a mirror and smelled the pignant smell coming out off your ass??? i hope that anybody never came across hara because he farts every 2 minutes and i am sure that you do not want to be there !!
Unread 03-24-2003, 03:13 PM   #175
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

LOL! You two crack me up!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote