Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 01-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
JaRoD
Cooling Neophyte

Default peltier cooling of mb back

Just recently I got an idea on how to help cool the cpu with a peltier while still using a normal heatsink. By putting the peltier on the backside of the motherboard just behind the cpu. Then putting a thick plate so the heat is transfered to the side of the case so that is used as a heatsink. Probably best to run the peltier at 5v or something since heat probably wont spread that well on the sidepanel. I'd try it but I'm not sure I'd want to cut up my new case

Tried something similar on my graphics card and it lowered temps by about 2c but there was only a tiny 50*50*20mm pinned heatsink ontop of the peltier and it was only attatched with paste And I used blutack to attatch the peltier to the card since there where some smd components there.

So, anyone feel like doing some case cutting so I won't have to?
JaRoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Default Re: peltier cooling of mb back

It's a good idea, but probably not practical / efficient.

You report lowering your GPU by two degrees, but the topside cooler can yield improvements of 20 degrees (depending on card and cooling solution). That should be a good tip that this idea may not be all that it's worth.

Still it might be worth exploring.

I posted the idea of a CPU backside cooler a long time ago (never actually did it):
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5438
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
JaRoD
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: peltier cooling of mb back

Forgot to mention that it was a 80w 16v peltier running at 5v. So considering it's low cooling ability at that voltage I'd say it was pretty good. That that tiny heatsink was probably around 35-40c too. So I'd say it's pretty easy to get it atleast a few more degrees cooler.
JaRoD is offline   Reply With Quote