Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-24-2003, 07:22 AM   #1
Cathar
Thermophile

Default Lower your CPU temperatures in one easy step!

Abit just released a new BIOS version for their NF7-S boards (Revs 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2).

Check out the list of features:

Quote:
BIOS ID: 1.9 - BIOS Compile Date: 5/13/2003

- Please use AWDFLASH 8.23D or later to update NF7 series BIOS. With incorrect AWDFLASH version, the GUID will be erased, and leads to IEEE1394 peer to peer function failed.AWDFLASH 8.23K is included in this BIOS package.
- Fixed CPU temperature too high issue.
Raised highest CPU FSB up to 300 MHz for "user define mode" in SoftMenu.
- Fixed SATA RAID-0 data corruption issue by adding a new option "EXT-P2P's Discard Time" in "integrated Peripherals". The default setting is "30 us"; which is recommended by NVidia. In case the problem is still there, try "1 ms" please.
So there you go. I highly recommend that all of you with an Abit NF7-S board update your BIOSes so you can enjoy lower CPU temperatures.

Forget spending money and time on upgrading your cooling - all you need to do is update your BIOS.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

think that'll work on Asus boards?
Unread 05-24-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I have been using some DIY solutions for years:

If the system has an in socket thermistor then bend it down as close to the motherboard's PCB as possible, CPU temps typically lower 3-5C within minutes, and MORE under load!

You can always just add an offset to motherboard monitor. I have one box that I get peltier-type performance out of with air cooling! I also base my recommendations of the Ice Probe system on a similar method
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

It would be nice it they (Abit), had used the internal CPU diode for the monitoring rather than just for a shutdown. It has to be said I think the temps have been reported high so it did need a fix. I'm getting 32C reported with 16c coolant temp using the splitter block. Seems like its around 10c to 8c higher than previous boards to me. Either way it's beyond me why this lack of accurate temp reporting is still an issue. It's an important thing for overclockers, and should be important to them as they aim their mobos at that market.

Electronics are not my thing so maybe I'm way off, but why does this seem to be something they have such a job getting right? (not just Abit other makers like Asus etc are guilty of the same crime).
Unread 05-24-2003, 08:23 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

All I am goingto say is LOL. I will get my ass handed to me if I try and point out the bad of it.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2003, 05:50 AM   #6
MadDogMe
Thermophile

They fixed the 'high temp reading' on the revision 2.0 as well I believe. What rev do you have Cathar?, I thought it was rev 2.0?...

The temps on my rev2.0 were well higher than the KX7 temps(which must have been right cause it was mine! :| ) I got with the same CPU and cooling. Why they can't caliberate to within 1 or 2 degC is beyond me :shrug: ...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
Boli
Cooling Savant

On a similar subject does anyone know about the Abit KD7 mobo issue with Temperature readings?

I mean it does have TWO CPU readings... one core CPU temp and one surface CPU temp. (don't ask me how they could get the core temp.)
The srface temp is about 15oC cooler than the core

I have heard that the temp you get into windows through various programs is actaully 15oC or so higher than the actual temperature of the CPU. Does anyone know any more about this?
Are they reading the wrong reading or is the CPU core temp the one everyone shoudl be worried about?

~ Boli

(Somewhat confused)
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote