Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 03-19-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default PHP vrs. HTML

What would you use? I am going to re-write a new site for www.customcomp.us but not sure which to use.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I'd love to hear people's favorite front page editors! (The free stuff anyways...)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
What would you use? I am going to re-write a new site for www.customcomp.us but not sure which to use.
After further investigation it looks like php can't be used in place of HTML and is just used with HTML?

Ben i used to use CoffeCup (http://www.coffeecup.com/). Not sure if it is still free or not but I liked it at the time. I use DreamweaverMX now though, not free...

Here is some free one's: http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/we...fweditors.html
Unread 03-20-2004, 01:09 AM   #4
xerka
Cooling Savant

I personally love php for creating dynamic pages. It is a pretty easy language to use if you know basics. It also has great documentation on each function. And no php doesn't replace html it is just used to generate it.

For my editors I use Dreamweaver MX on windows and on linux i use bluefish or nano w/ source hightlighting.

If you want to learn a good scripting language I would go with php it seems much "cleaner" to me than perl.
Unread 03-20-2004, 10:46 AM   #5
iroc409
Cooling Savant

actually, php is horrible. it's awful, it's bulky, inefficient, etc, etc. but, until something better comes along, it's going to be the most widely used resource. if you learn it, learn it well, and don't write sloppy code that breaks constantly (like phpbb, phpnuke, postnuke, those kind of programs). but no, it doesn't replace html.

i use dreamweaver most of the time, but i really like 1st page 2000 (i don't even know if it's around any more). looks actually a helluva lot like mm's homesite. tons of really cool features and really lightweight tho. i just use dreamweaver for all the autocomplete and find/replace features
Unread 03-20-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc409
if you learn it, learn it well, and don't write sloppy code that breaks constantly (like phpbb, phpnuke, postnuke, those kind of programs).
Used phpbb and postnuke for a long time now and never had it break. :shrug:

How can php be so horrible if there is nothing better to compare it to? :shrug:
Unread 03-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
iroc409
Cooling Savant

it's very inefficient. and it is (well, at least the way most people write it), EXTREMELY hard on a server.

you may be using those programs considerably, but how much traffic are you driving to it? what's your server specs, and are you running several on one server?

i've seen phpnuke crash a lot, but only on sites with heavy traffic.

simply put, there's nothing to replace it, so just know what you're getting into. if it's written poorly, it will perform poorly. i've seen comparable software packages written in php that do essentially the same thing, where one could be extremely efficient, and one could require a whole dually dedicated server just to run.
Unread 03-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
it's very inefficient. and it is (well, at least the way most people write it), EXTREMELY hard on a server.

you may be using those programs considerably, but how much traffic are you driving to it? what's your server specs, and are you running several on one server?
I used shared hosting. Many sites on the same sever most of them using phpbb or Invision board. Traffice is pretty light. Usually only .5 to 1gig a day on my most popular site. I never have any problems that I can pin on phpbb in fact lately I havn't had one issue at all. Places like http://gino.go-gaia.com/forum/index....f37d142efec952 seem to get along just fine.
Quote:
Who is Online - In total there are 7516 users online :: 5722 Registered, 265 Hidden and 1529 Guests

We have 409954 registered users
Our forums have a total of 42004495 articles
Thats a phpbb board and it is always up and running.

I think I will just skip php. Don't need it on my main site anyway.
Unread 03-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
iroc409
Cooling Savant

well, sounds like you've had good luck with the programs. that's a pretty decent sized board, and it sounds to be performing admirably. 15-30gb/mo isn't a ton, but if you're not sending a lot of graphics, that's a decent bit of traffic.

generally for high traffic i'd suggest vbb. but, i've seen it break with massive traffic as well (even literally brought to a halt - on dedicated).

php is a wonderful language, and you can do cool things with it. like i said, you just have to be careful with it. i had a friend with a phpnuke site that was getting about 60k uniques or so daily (have no idea on raws), and it broke CONSTANTLY. although _most_ of the breakage was with a plugin, but the core site had more than its share of viscous errors as well. it also occasionally did some really screwy things to apache, requiring the machine to be manually rebooted (apache or mysql would consume nearly all of the processor, making everything dog-slow).

also i'd give props to your hosting company, they're doing their job quite well if it's not being slow or holding up other clients. there are a lot of hosting companies out there as well that couldn't handle the users on static loads. i can't stand that, i'd switch in a heartbeat if any of my hosting providers did that but so far i've been VERY pleased with my more important hosting. they cost a few bucks extra, but it's worth every penny.
Unread 03-20-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
well, sounds like you've had good luck with the programs. that's a pretty decent sized board, and it sounds to be performing admirably. 15-30gb/mo isn't a ton, but if you're not sending a lot of graphics, that's a decent bit of traffic.
That's not my board thank god. To many people.
Quote:
generally for high traffic i'd suggest vbb. but, i've seen it break with massive traffic as well (even literally brought to a halt - on dedicated).
I will never have that much traffic.
Quote:
php is a wonderful language, and you can do cool things with it. like i said, you just have to be careful with it. i had a friend with a phpnuke site that was getting about 60k uniques or so daily (have no idea on raws), and it broke CONSTANTLY. although _most_ of the breakage was with a plugin, but the core site had more than its share of viscous errors as well. it also occasionally did some really screwy things to apache, requiring the machine to be manually rebooted (apache or mysql would consume nearly all of the processor, making everything dog-slow).
I agree. I hear to much about security issues and bad bloated code. One reason i am shy about getting into it.
Quote:
also i'd give props to your hosting company, they're doing their job quite well if it's not being slow or holding up other clients. there are a lot of hosting companies out there as well that couldn't handle the users on static loads. i can't stand that, i'd switch in a heartbeat if any of my hosting providers did that but so far i've been VERY pleased with my more important hosting. they cost a few bucks extra, but it's worth every penny.
My hosting company rocks. I never had this kind of stability with shared hosting. They have many sites on my server and all is smooth. The last problem I had was their network switch went bad. Ever since they replaced that it has been sweet. They have a real data center aswell with their own servers with real techs on site. I don't know how they do it but I only pay $6.95 a month. That includes unlimited e-mail, unlimited subdomains, and unlimited MySQL databases. Also alow adult content. Thats why I chose it. My babe site is there.

Right now I am in the midddle of deciding to wrap it up on the site's and give up or continue on.
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

A bit related...

IBM may work with Sun to create an open-source version of Java.
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #12
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I made www.customcooledpc.com in php for the hell of it. I closed all my other sites for a while untill I decide what to do with them. Going to be concentrating all my spare time (which is limited) on it for now. I went with Invision Power Board this time for the hell of it.
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:35 PM   #13
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Isn't that familiar...

I need to revamp my site, and make those front pages look more professional. I also need to manage the content a little better.

I'm thinking of adding some sort of database for links to sites/articles of interest, instead of manually creating the "Resources" page, but I need to be able to add a significant amount of comments, and it would have to be possible to sort through these links. The links would have to be categorized, but some can fall in more than one category... I spend more time thinking about how to sort it, than it would take me to just manually re-type the darn page...

And I think I ought to backup the database, just in case.

I added a couple of subdomains: one for my pics, and one for the Forums, just for the sake of simplicity:
http://forums.wbta.us
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
Isn't that familiar...

I need to revamp my site, and make those front pages look more professional. I also need to manage the content a little better.

I'm thinking of adding some sort of database for links to sites/articles of interest, instead of manually creating the "Resources" page, but I need to be able to add a significant amount of comments, and it would have to be possible to sort through these links. The links would have to be categorized, but some can fall in more than one category... I spend more time thinking about how to sort it, than it would take me to just manually re-type the darn page...

And I think I ought to backup the database, just in case.

I added a couple of subdomains: one for my pics, and one for the Forums, just for the sake of simplicity:
http://forums.wbta.us
I been racking my brain for about a month now trying to decide to bring it back. I should never have closed it in the first place really. www.customcomp.us is still all there as is the forums but it has been a miserable failure so far so I am closing it down for now. Got some direction and motivation this time around for custom cooled pc. Still don't have a lot of time to manage it but I will add what I can when I can.
Unread 03-22-2004, 10:02 AM   #15
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

In your case, I think you'd be more inclined to setup something that simply presents what you're up to, instead of allowing people to comment on it through a Forum: it's those discussions that take up your time...

Also, setting up the various forums can be time consuming, because it involves tweaking the access levels.

If you ask me, I don't think you actually wanted your forum to become busy: you changed it over so many times that it seemed like you were more interested in trying out the various programs, more than anything else.

When I look at the traffic on my site, I see a minimum of activity, and even at $5/month, I don't use more than 3% of the total bandwidth allowed, but that's fine, because the website still does what I intended it to do.

If anything, I'm thinking about adding an ad banner, to help cover the $5 per month, but I don't think it would even be worth the time and effort, especially considering how many people actually stop by the site: it'd probably be more aggravating to the users than anything else.
Unread 03-22-2004, 05:34 PM   #16
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
In your case, I think you'd be more inclined to setup something that simply presents what you're up to, instead of allowing people to comment on it through a Forum: it's those discussions that take up your time...

Also, setting up the various forums can be time consuming, because it involves tweaking the access levels.
permissions are easy. Just check a few boxes. I can set it to where only i can post and no one else can reply. But your right but for a different reason. The problem with using the forum is I can't post a whole article in one reply. I am going to change that and add some kind of article/news system.
Quote:
If you ask me, I don't think you actually wanted your forum to become busy: you changed it over so many times that it seemed like you were more interested in trying out the various programs, more than anything else.
Exactly actually. I have been tryign to figure out what works, what doesn't, ect.. I never had the bandwidth to handle any real traffic. i never planned on much traffic.
Quote:
When I look at the traffic on my site, I see a minimum of activity, and even at $5/month, I don't use more than 3% of the total bandwidth allowed, but that's fine, because the website still does what I intended it to do.

If anything, I'm thinking about adding an ad banner, to help cover the $5 per month, but I don't think it would even be worth the time and effort, especially considering how many people actually stop by the site: it'd probably be more aggravating to the users than anything else.
Most paying advertizers require a minimum of 1000 visits a day. I don't think an ad would do any good for you now. Give it time though.
Unread 03-22-2004, 10:43 PM   #17
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

My little website doesn't use 3% of the allowable bandwidth, so I'm not worried. A lot of the traffic comes from my image hosting folder.

Yeah, I didn't thin a banner would work. Oh well...
Unread 05-23-2004, 11:50 PM   #18
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Progress...

I actually found an easy to use, yet powerful CMS (Content Management System) for the WBTA website.

It's called Mambo ( www.mamboserver.com ). It's Open Source, so free, and there's a reasonable number of add-ons for it, including templates.

The main advantage I found is that everything is managed via the admin menu, which is a web interface, from which one can upload ZIP files of add-ons (components or modules).

The articles/stories take some getting used to, as they have to be categorized, as well as sectionned, but there's an option to keep items posted or unposted, public or registered or admin only.

Nice, simple, and powerful: exactly what I've been looking for!

(begin shameless plug) I put a game module somewhere on the site: www.wbta.us (end shameless plug)
Unread 05-24-2004, 12:12 AM   #19
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I was all set to say good things about php and then I noticed the ads on Procooling are missing lol
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 12:58 AM   #20
Boli
Cooling Savant

Just use HTML with SSI additions - easiest way to generate similar(or template based) looking pages.
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #21
cristoff
Cooling Savant

u could try coldfusion and farcry free content management system
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #22
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Progress...

I actually found an easy to use, yet powerful CMS (Content Management System) for the WBTA website.

It's called Mambo ( www.mamboserver.com ). It's Open Source, so free, and there's a reasonable number of add-ons for it, including templates.

The main advantage I found is that everything is managed via the admin menu, which is a web interface, from which one can upload ZIP files of add-ons (components or modules).

The articles/stories take some getting used to, as they have to be categorized, as well as sectionned, but there's an option to keep items posted or unposted, public or registered or admin only.

Nice, simple, and powerful: exactly what I've been looking for!

(begin shameless plug) I put a game module somewhere on the site: www.wbta.us (end shameless plug)
Finally getting around to messing with it.

http://www.customcooledpc.com/main/ I don't know though. Going to take about as much time to cinfigure the damn thing than writting a whole new site.

EDIT: Changed servers, link no longer works....

Last edited by jaydee116; 07-01-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Unread 07-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #23
supergeek
Cooling Neophyte

can u write php with frontpage? dont mean 2b a noob but hey, why not ask.
supergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #24
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeek
can u write php with frontpage? dont mean 2b a noob but hey, why not ask.
Not sure if this will answer that question but take a look: http://www.webworkshop.org/frontpage...g_with_php.htm
Unread 07-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #25
supergeek
Cooling Neophyte

ty m8 thats pretty cool, i can use that silly piece of microsoft cr*p for somthing
supergeek is offline   Reply With Quote