Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 07-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
z240dude
Cooling Neophyte

Default AVG antivirus question

Hey all, I downloaded AVG antivirus last night, but I need to know what to put on my incoming mail server on the Incoming mail Pop3 account on the properties page for Outlook Express.

My old one was pop3.norton.antivirus
I tried a few combos for AVG but nothing works.

I emailed AVG but they won't help unless you pay them.

If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,Norm
z240dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
Khledar
Cooling Savant

I just have the POP3 server set to my ISP or E-Mail provider (such as mail.comcast.net or such) and AVG scans it automatically without routing it through a 3rd party server as it appears norton was setup to do.

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
z240dude
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khledar
I just have the POP3 server set to my ISP or E-Mail provider (such as mail.comcast.net or such) and AVG scans it automatically without routing it through a 3rd party server as it appears norton was setup to do.

Oh man that would be great then!

I did what you did to get my email working but I was scared to death to open attachments because the mail came in three times faster than it did with Norton's and I thought it was not working. Thanks for the info!!

Norton's is a real pain in the azz.
I've had it crash my computer twice and it took me two days to figure why my computer kept going into Safe Mode.

Also I had to reload Norton's and then it wouldn't update my virus base anymore and I had just paid them the $20 for renwal and there was no way to contact them becaue they won't help you if have Norton's 2001.

ANyway I hope AVG is better !! At least it's free!!! Thanks

Later,Norm
Unread 07-30-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by z240dude
Oh man that would be great then!

I did what you did to get my email working but I was scared to death to open attachments because the mail came in three times faster than it did with Norton's and I thought it was not working. Thanks for the info!!

Norton's is a real pain in the azz.
I've had it crash my computer twice and it took me two days to figure why my computer kept going into Safe Mode.

Also I had to reload Norton's and then it wouldn't update my virus base anymore and I had just paid them the $20 for renwal and there was no way to contact them becaue they won't help you if have Norton's 2001.

ANyway I hope AVG is better !! At least it's free!!! Thanks

Later,Norm
I switched from Norton to the free version of AVG a few years back, after Norton let a virus get by its database that was updated. I have not had any problem at all with AVG since switching to it. Enjoy.
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
z240dude
Cooling Neophyte

Hey a quick question.

Do I need to have the "Use Outlook Express 5 Plugin " box checked?
The reason I ask is that I have Outlook Express 6.

Thanks, Norm