Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-11-2002, 04:04 AM   #1
gmat
Thermophile

Default active PFC 360W *fanless* PSU !

Check the specs... not too shabby !

http://www.deltatronic.info/Technik/.../netzteil.html

The price tag ? Buckle up your seats and check the oxygen supply... 295€ (thats between $290 and $300 depending on stock exchange...) + shipping...
Goodbye TK Power, goodbye RSG Electonics, Deltatronic here i come !
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 04:14 AM   #2
gmat
Thermophile

Ah reading further, it seems they're planning a watercooled unit for October... check their FAQ.
They are also selling heatpipes, HD silencers and so on. The shipping charges for non-EU countries are hefty though (about $25)...
Unread 09-11-2002, 04:47 AM   #3
Brad
Thermophile

lol that power supply looks like one huge heatsink. I wonder if it is recommended to have airflow over those fins? In a normal case setup the cpu fan would be aiming it's air right at those fins...

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 06:02 AM   #4
gmat
Thermophile

From their FAQ, it seems that having the back of the PSU sticking out of the case is enough. No ariflow is required according to them.
I looks like on of those overpowerful car amps

(edit) looking at their full configs with a CPU heatpipe, it confirms that idea. No special airflow, only passive cooling.
Unread 09-11-2002, 06:18 AM   #5
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

If you have a big enough heatsink, passive cooling works just fine. This one looks to have a big enough heatsink
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 08:06 AM   #6
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

that looks like THE PSU to have... if i could just silence the HDD , then i would be in total silence, awesome
g.l.amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 08:13 AM   #7
Obasau
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Ah reading further, it seems they're planning a watercooled unit for October... check their FAQ.
im not trying to be a smartass, but the FAQ says, that passive PSU is a good addition to watercooled systems.
Obasau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 08:45 AM   #8
gmat
Thermophile

Hmmm i'm such a zero in German
I understood the sentence the other way around... he he
Unread 09-11-2002, 11:56 AM   #9
Obasau
Cooling Neophyte

well at least you do understand something.
there are not many french ppl, who speak or understand any foreign languages afaik.
Obasau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 04:59 PM   #10
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Does a Panaflo L1A produce that much noise? If so then maybe consider a potentiometer on same. I have a hard time believing that a PSU modified with extremely low noise fans would be heard over a fan for a radiator.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #11
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I think I would rather deal with a small amount of noise from a tuned Panaflo or Papst than pay $300 for a PSU. That seems a bit ridiculous ... though I could see the appeal of such a bizzare looking PSU for people with lots of windows or an acrylic case. Hey, whatever floats your boat. A quiet system is good, but does it really need to be silent? There will always be a little noise coming from either the HDD or the CD/DVD drive, not to mention the racket from a floppy drive (if anyone still uses them ... in the four machines I primarily use between home and work, only one of them has a floppy). Sometimes you can go too far with things.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 05:39 PM   #12
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I would assume that the monitor would become annoying after the HDD and PSU were eliminated
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 02:20 AM   #13
Brad
Thermophile

solid state storage, and an LCD

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 04:02 AM   #14
gmat
Thermophile

pH: nope, zero fan means, *zero*, naught, nada, nicht. I do not want a "rather quiet" system. I want a "silent" system.
HD noise -> can be mostly eliminated, through extreme means - suspension + heavy insulation + watercooling.
Monitor noise -> LCD = what noise ? Besides my top-notch Iiyama produces no noticeable noise
CD/DVD: when it's not running (99.9% of the time) it's perfectly silent. I dont mind its hum during reads. If it's reading an audio CD it's running at 1x and produces no more noise than a conventional stand-alone CD unit.
Floppy: what floppy? what for ? sorry i think i ditched mine a few years ago.
Ah rad fan noise - 2 points:
1 - 2 fans are noisier than 1 fan. Thus, killing the PSU fan is a step in the good direction. I'll only keep a PAPST NGL on the rad (even quieter than the panaflo)
2 - 0 fan is even better than one. When i'm down to 1 fan (on the rad) i'll look into a more elaborate solution. External passive cooling. Just keeping the rad+fan for LANs.
Actually what will produce noise is the pump. Thats why i'm considering an external enclosure for passive cooling, and that enclosure would be located in another room...

Going too far: wanting a *silent* PC is going too far ? I dont think so. I'm a music enthusiast, went great ways to buy a decent hi-fi system. If the sound quality is massacred by a stupid background noise, it all comes down to killing that very noise.
Besides where i work there are many (air cooled) computers. When i'm back home what i want is *silence*, no more fan noise.
Thats the main reason why i built a watercooled system to begin with.
Is it going too far ? Killing my recurrent headaches, stress and ear ringing has no price. That's my opinion.
Need i to elaborate ? This dead horse has been beaten too much already.
Unread 09-12-2002, 02:34 PM   #15
hmale
Cooling Savant

I respect everyone's opinion, but I will stick up for the engineer (a fraternal thing), and besides, I got rid of my floppy too.

Good work mon ami!

Cheers!
hmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 02:55 PM   #16
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Haha dude I want that power supply! That's so crazy looking! You can see the mounting holes are actually in the fins on the far right/left of the psu.
-Kev