Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 07-30-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
lmg
Cooling Neophyte

Default Notebook heatsink idea

I need to build a tray for my notebook computer (AMD Athlon 64 3200+), and I'm considering ways of passively keeping the notebook cooler. (I don't want fans.) None of the commercial notebook coolers really appeal to me. I'm undervolting the CPU with RMClock and don't really have any thermal problems, but the bottom surface of the notebook tends to get pretty hot, especiall underneath the 7200RPM hard drive where the air gets up to 36C at idle.

What I'm considering is placing a large plate of 1/8" thick copper underneath the laptop. There would be 3 or 4 solid copper blocks raising the laptop off the copper plate by about 1/2". These blocks would contact the laptop at the hottest spots, hopefully acting as heat sinks. I would put thermal pads between the laptop and the blocks to prevent scratching the finish. I also thought it might make sense to cover the top of the copper plate with an insulator like sheet cork, the idea being that any heat conducted to the plate would not be radiated right back up into the laptop.

Does this make sense, or am I on the wrong track or just wasting my time?
lmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
\\«WÎÑG»//
* Bannified for being Rong *

//edit I'm just gonna pull everything stupid out of this post and leave the rest -pH

Last edited by pHaestus; 08-24-2005 at 12:19 PM.
\\«WÎÑG»// is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
killernoodle
Thermophile

Is the laptop stable when running full load at the rated speed? If it is, it doesnt matter how warm the laptop is getting. Laptops are designed to run at their rated speed, no matter what the environment is (within reason). I wouldnt worry about it.
Unread 08-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
567234ta
Cooling Neophyte

sounds like a heavy thing to have your lappy on. check this out.
less than 1 pnd, its nice in a vehicle as i can game with a real mouse while traveling.

2x512 ocz platinum elite
Antec 550 true control 2.0
567234ta is offline   Reply With Quote