Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-15-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
SonixOS
Cooling Savant

Default Bong idea

yo ppl, i got this idea for bong cooling, although i dont have it. Instead of having that noisy shower, could u just have a BIIIIGGG sponge going all the way from the input to the bottom. It will make the system quiter and the water will take longer to get down there (therefore cooler).
Abit KR7A-133
MSI Geforce3 Ti200 VT128
TV-IN and TV-OUT
Sound Blaster Audigy
Linksys LNE100 V2.0
Toshiba DVD Drive 40x/16x
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60gig
Watercooled
http://www.sonixnet.tk
=======================
SonixOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2002, 11:09 PM   #2
ambient
Cooling Savant

the sponge would stink like sheeet after 2-3 weeks.
Unread 07-16-2002, 01:40 AM   #3
koslov
Cooling Savant

Yeah, I'd rather not have a tube full of foul-smelling bacteria in close proximity to my computer. But what if you used something like steel wool to slow the descent?
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2002, 02:59 AM   #4
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Well the whole concept of the bong is to use evapouration to cool; this is done effectively by increasing the surface area between the water droplets to the air, so that it can occur at a decent rate. I think by using sponges it would definately slow the rate at which the water falls, thus increaseing the window of opportunity in which the water has the chance to evapourate; however, by using sponges, I think, besides the horrible smell your evapouration rate would be quite poor. Why, simply because the sponges by soaking up the water will not allow the water to evapourate into the surrounding air. The sponge would become full of water, and even if it wasn't "full" it would restrict the air too much. Let me try to explain a bit differently what I think would occur. The shower head splits up the water into many particles, but I think the sponge would almost regroup the water into streams rather than teeny-tiny droplets which have a high surface area.

My .02.

GL with the bong though!

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2002, 08:20 AM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I don't think it would work either, but your idea is pretty cool... (pun intended).

I'd try padding the inside wall with some thin foam like substance, maybe even a towel. Then you put a sponge at the bottom. That should lower the noise level significantly.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2002, 09:44 AM   #6
nuclear
Cooling Neophyte

go there http://www.overclockers.com/tips995/
it explains how a swamp cooler works (by sponge if you don't want to read it)
nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2002, 06:02 PM   #7
V12|V12
Cooling Savant

WOw, can't wait for you to discover the METROPOLIS of newly formed life that will be swimming with joy in that "Spong!" But sounds like a good story to post...try it out! PS- Post some pics of the sponge after 2-4 weeks!
--1/2" Vinyl tubes
--Via1300-Stealth Mod(QUIET!)
---Home made copper-tube block
---PVC small internal res
V12|V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2002, 04:55 PM   #8
Cooling Neophyte

The sponge route can be really good, even better than showerheads.... but you need a very powerful fan to force air through the sponges. I tried to fill my tube with the material they use in house evaporative coolers (found some nice plastic stuff), it didn't work very good at all (was worse than without it). The problem was my fan just couldn't force enough air through the sponge to evaporate anything... so no evaporation was happening.

But since your whole idea is for a quiet bong, then you can't really have a super powerful fan (because it will be very loud)... so your back to the showerhead. I suggest experimenting with materials that the water lands on, also if you put a little dish soap in the water it foams and that makes a nice sound also.

Last edited by 000; 07-17-2002 at 05:12 PM.
000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2002, 05:01 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by 000
The sponge route can be really good, even better than showerheads.... but you need a very powerful fan to force air through the sponges. I tried to fill my tube with the material they use in house evaporative coolers (found some nice plastic stuff), it didn't work very good at all (was worse than without it). The problem was my fan just couldn't force enough air through the sponge to evaporate anything... so no evaporation was happening.

But since your whole idea is for a quite bong, then you can't really have a super powerful fan (because it will be very loud)... so your back to the showerhead. I suggest experimenting with materials that the water lands on, also if you put a little dish soap in the water it foams and that makes a nice sound also.
Alternatively, install it outside, with a blower...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #10
420turtle
Cooling Neophyte

I use an evaporative bong cooler with a shower head close to the top of a 3 inch pipe. I put a sponge on top of the showerhead where the 2 return lines come in. I then added an elbow to the 3 inch pipe, so it points into a sunny window. The black plastic pipe warms up and warms the sponge helping evaporation. I am losing more water now, but the water stays cooler. And if the sponge stinks you take it out and rinse with bleach and then it's all good again. I tried using a sponge inside the pipe and it did not work well for me.
420turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #11
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

Has any one tryed wirewool as mentioned above? I think it could be worth a try. Problems that you may have though would be corrosion, as iirc its made of iron/steel, or another ferrous metal?
I definatly think the wire wool would be good, as it wouldnt be restrictive to the air as much, would split the water, slow it down a lot etc..
An alternative to useing steel wirewool would be to get lots of very fine wire like 100/0.01 or something and make it into a ball or another shape, you would need a lot though. or you could make a sort of frame with wire going between it and tied around the ends to make a mesh, and have 10 of them down the pipe, breaking up the water as it drips, it would be like 10 showerheads in one pipe.
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #12
Jason_The_Angry
Cooling Neophyte

just a note, they do make copper wool. that may work too, without the rust.
Unread 03-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #13
killernoodle
Thermophile

Yes, it is for cleaning copper pots. I guess they sell it in grocery stores, it is usually packed with aluminum wool type stuff.
Unread 03-11-2004, 11:00 AM   #14
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

haah geeze.. talk about bringin back an old thread... kinda funny since sonix no longer cares about computer cooling stuff anymore.. oh well
Unread 03-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #15
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Yeah no kiddin' about the old thread business I get an Email, reply in thread "Bong idea", I'm like... I don't remember that.....

Hmmmm
:P

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #16
Inferno Acid
Cooling Neophyte

u could always try something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03[1].jpg (23.6 KB, 25 views)
Inferno Acid is offline   Reply With Quote