Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-03-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
garie
Cooling Neophyte

new to watercooling, setup and questions!!

Hi, i've been thinking bout watercooling my computer for some time now...and have been reading posts in this forum, and other watercooling sites..but i still have a few questions.

-I'm thinking bout getting a tc-4 rev 2 waterblock. Have there been any reviews on this waterblock yet? and if any of you have them how do they perform when compared to others? like the maze 3 or spir@l?

-And if I use the tc-4 with a eheim 1048, and BIX(cuz i have a Lian Li pc-65 and want to fit it inside my case) how do you think it would perform and wat kind of maximum overclock do you guys think i can get outta my computer which is a Althon xp2000, corsair xms3000, epox 8k3a, leadtek geforce 4 ti4400??

-Right now I'm using a alpha 8045 with the variable speed ys tech fan which i think puts out 49 cfm when set to max, and I can reach 1.825 mhz stable 10.5x173, at 1.85 volts (cpu), with the cpu temp at 54C, case 33 C. I think i can overclock it more, but I think whats holding me back, and making the comp unstable especially when running 3dmark, or running games is that when i raise the FSB too much the AGP bus speeds are running too high and making the comp unstable.

-I read somewhere that if you change to watercooling, from a good big heatsink with powerful fan, such as the alpha or swiftech, that you wont get that much increase in overclock when going to watercooling. Is this true??!

Thanks for taking time to read this...and hopefully you guys can help me out and give me some pointers.

actually i have many more questions....but those will come later!!
-gary
garie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 05:27 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

1-I haven't seen any reviews yet, but they seem to perform as well, if not slightly better than any of the other top blocks.

2-You've got top notch equipment, but I'd consider an Eheim 1250 instead of the 1048.

3-The reason for watercooling is multiple: quiet PC, overclock, and then there's the question of portability. I'll assume that you won't take the chance of banging up your case as you carry it around. As for the overclock, the results are mixed. Some people do it well, and get slightly better results. Overall though, you should be able to bring your CPU temp down to the 40 ies, and that's good, because it'll make your CPU more durable. If you want to seriously overclock, then there are a few options that you'll need to consider (phase change, pelt, etc...). If you want a simple overclock, then straight watercooling will do ya.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 05:46 PM   #3
garie
Cooling Neophyte

thanks for the fast reply bigben2k,

the eheim 1250 moves a lot more water than the 1048 ..and the waterblock would prob benefit from that...hmm..ill think bout it..since the price b/w the two isnt that great....

in ur computer....do u leave ur case fans on? are ur only fans that are on ur psu fans??......cuz if u wanted to make ur comp as quiet as possible.....should u disconnect all the case fans? thanks
Unread 08-03-2002, 06:14 PM   #4
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

That is a pretty solid OC for air cooling. BigBen is right, though. You should be able to drop your temps some with the watercooling. One thing to consider, though, is with your FSB so high you will want to use a chipset block as well parallel with your CPU block. I would also highly recommend putting RAM-heatsinks on it as well. I would definitely go with a stronger pump, as well. The Eheim 1250 that he mentioned is a good investment.

I would suspect that if you did all these things you may be able to bump your multiplier up .5x. Alternately, with your chipset cooled, you should be able to bump the FSB higher. To bump the multiplier, you will probably have to volt mod it as well. www.overclockers.com has good how to articles on how to do that.

Don't expect tremendous results on straight watercooling from where you are. You can probably hit 1950 if you do it right. Any higher will require peltier cooling or phase change.

Yes, you will want your case fans to cool everything else in the case (and your radiator will require one or two fans). The nice part is that you can probably cut them from 12V to 5V and still do a good job, if your radiator is isolated from the rest of the computer (using a shroud or such).

I hope that helps, and good luck!

BTW: What is you typical ambient over there?
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 06:29 PM   #5
garie
Cooling Neophyte

thanks airspirit...my ambient temp?? i dunno it really depends if my aircons on or not...i havent measured ambient b4...but i do know my case temps range from 31-33 with ac on during the summer..and 35-36 with no ac on...during the winter it gets really cold though..since im in NYC now....if i were to guesstimate my ambient temp rite now with ac on....actually..haha i just looked at my alarm clock cuz it has a thermometer in it..it read 24 now...

-airspirit...do u think if i watercooled the northbridge too....that i would be able to raise the fsb even higher? and making it stable?..cuz when i go over 173 fsb...the agp speed goes up to much....and whenever i run 3dmark or games..the comp always crashes..wouldnt my comp crash even if i had a watercooled chipset block on it anyways? since the dividers make the agp speeds too high?? thanks for the help!
Unread 08-03-2002, 07:09 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by garie
thanks for the fast reply bigben2k,

the eheim 1250 moves a lot more water than the 1048 ..and the waterblock would prob benefit from that...hmm..ill think bout it..since the price b/w the two isnt that great....

in ur computer....do u leave ur case fans on? are ur only fans that are on ur psu fans??......cuz if u wanted to make ur comp as quiet as possible.....should u disconnect all the case fans? thanks
No prob, I just happened to be around

I'm still running an old Pentium 166 for now, so there's only a PSU fan (plus HSF). When I put this new beast together though, it'll probably suck air from the low front, and exhaust out the back, below the PSU as well as through the PSU (just because I don't want gmat telling me "I told you so!").

The 7V mod that airspirit describes is easy to do, very straightforward. Alternatively, you could build a rheobus, and finely control the fan speeds, but that's something for the electronically handy...

As for the NB block, that's a good idea, if the block heats up. I'm not sure that it ever does on your board, but you can check that easily. Definitely though, that's a prime cooling target, if you want to raise the FSB, since your ram should be able to handle just about everything that you can throw at it.

You should be able to set your VC cards' speed, regardless of what the mobo will do. The link from airspirit will point you in the right direction. If not, try octools.com . Not sure about the AGP speed, you should be able to work around it, somehow.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote