Go Back   Pro/Forums > Site News and Blogs > ProCooling workBlogs > Brian's WorkLog
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #201
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Brian, First of all my heart goes out to you and your family. I hope all ends up well. I will think of you and your family and hope that helps. I am not Christian but I cannot help but feel that all of the thoughts of support expressed by everyone who feels for you must go somewhere. And that somehow those feelings will help your wife recover and allow you to remain strong. It seems strange to say but in the midst of an ordeal like yours it is beautiful to see people come together as they have. Chin up mate.

J.Rabel
jlrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 02:29 PM   #202
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Brian, I replied to your PM of 01.03.04 but didn't get a confirmation of receipt... this makes me worry that you may not have received it. Did you?

In any case, great to hear Heather's doing well. Her recovery curve is pretty spectacular. Don't worry too much about how good she'll get in the long term, because she'll be fine.
Unread 03-04-2004, 03:04 PM   #203
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Thank you, nexxo. I did get your PMs. If anyone else expected confirmation receipts, probably none of you got them, then. I think my browser is breaking that function (I have a popup blocker and filter that makes some things not work).
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 06:48 PM   #204
RedBall
Cooling Neophyte

Brian,
I read your story on OCs com. I will post your story on my clans forum as well, My heart definantly goes out to you and your family, I injured my back in 01, and have had problems ever since, leaving me pretty much helpless/useless, I rely on my wife for pretty much anything, bathing, delivering me to doc appoints, getting dressed, ect. I also have four kids, so I can kind of relate to what you are going through by seeing my wife do it all, it is very emotionally, financially, and mentally challenging, It is very encouraging to see the gaming/o'clocking community come together to offer their support and prayers. I wish there were more we could do, but for now we will do what we can, and continue our support to you and your family.

Y2KRedBall

P.S. Congradulations on the baby girl
RedBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #205
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Kinda off-topic and probably not convenient but...
Happy birthday Brian!
Unread 03-04-2004, 08:52 PM   #206
Fyber
Cooling Neophyte

Brian,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you man. I know how hard it must be taking care of 4 kids, dealing with your wife's stroke, and trying to keep up with all of us geeks supporting you at the same time.

I was inspired to create a front page news post about this and the raffles and everything on my homesite, PCSynapse.com, after reading your story on overclockers.com. It really hit me, I've been around when members of my family are disabled, and it's a tough time.

Anyway, I hope everything turns out well man, sometimes it's tough to imagine a time when things have been worse, but I know you'll pull through it.

Good luck, and you've got my prayers.
Fyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2004, 12:40 AM   #207
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanicoo
Happy birthday Brian!
Thanks! I get a birthday present tomorrow: I get to be with my wife at the rehab center preparing for her to visit us at home this weekend! They think she's advanced physically enough to visit us even if she still needs work with cognitive recovery! I guess the criteria are that she can eat, bathroom, and do stairs without expert nurses to care for her. By late next week, they think she'll actually leave there and come home. Then, she can visit therapists instead of living in the hospital!

Now, that's a present, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyber
It really hit me, I've been around when members of my family are disabled, and it's a tough time.
We will pull through. We've already had loads of great news and it gives me optimism that she'll make a good recovery even if she'll need many months of rehab.
Unread 03-05-2004, 08:12 AM   #208
Tempus
Cooling Savant

WOW! Thats excellent progress. Its amazing what she's able to do.

I'm glad you are holding up well and in good spirits. I can only guess how draining its all been. Stay strong man. Is there a place we can send cards?
Unread 03-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #209
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus
WOW! Thats excellent progress. Its amazing what she's able to do.

I'm glad you are holding up well and in good spirits. I can only guess how draining its all been. Stay strong man. Is there a place we can send cards?
It is nothing short of a miracle, in my opinion. The low point was when the nurses were getting me ready for a funeral, and now it seems she might recover significantly (whatever that means). It turns out my next-door neighbor was a managing nurse at a "sub-acute rehabilitation center" in Seattle, which is just like the RIO (Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon) that my wife is in. Talk about coincidence? I just found that out last night. She was saying that Heather's recovery is amazingly rapid, considering the size of her bleeds. All I can say is that I saw them on the MRI and CAT scans myself, so I know they were as large as the doctors said. She also said that the doctors never admit that things like this might be the result of God, since it runs counter to their philosophy. Turns out that most neurologists and neurosurgeons have quite the arrogant attitude (after all that schooling and such). Well, I believe. The doctors can believe what they want, but this has been very atypical recovery.
Unread 03-05-2004, 11:22 AM   #210
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

Amen brother!

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #211
nexxo
Cooling Savant

It most certainly has been! But the brain can be like that: do not underestimate the power of neural networking! I have always felt however that the doctors' estimates were too pessimistic. I can only see things getting better.

As for neurologists, to be fair I know a few really, really good ones, but some in my opinion also give surprisingly little "bang for your buck", so to speak... With neursosurgeons again I know a few really good ones (I know one who can dive right in there and clip an aneurysm in the most tricky, inaccessible part of the brain --estimated patient survival rate: 50%; estimated chance of at least partial blindness or paralysis about 75%-- and the patient comes out with no symptoms whatsoever. I mean, that man is good), but I also suspect that some need to psychologically compensate for the fact that really, they can't do all that much about brain injury. Nanotech is still a century or so away...
Unread 03-05-2004, 06:07 PM   #212
Fyber
Cooling Neophyte

Brian,

I'm happy for you. I'm glad to hear she's alright and well.

Nexxo's a brain expert, so I'd agree 100% with what he said.

Anyway, congrats on the new daughter, and I'm glad your wife is better.

-Fyber
Fyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #213
Corax
Cooling Neophyte

Remember Scotty on Star Trek? He tells the Captain things are worse than they are, then fixes it much faster than he told the captain it could possibly be fixed. That way he gets the reputation of being a "miracle worker."

It’s the same way for Doctors, They would much rather be pessimistic and wrong than optimistic and wrong.

They get sued less often that way.
Corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 07:00 PM   #214
Willmonwah
Cooling Neophyte

I wish your family the best! It was heartrending to see the good news followed so soon by bad news, but I hope she continues to improve and get all possible rehab she can.

-Will
Willmonwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #215
princess
Cooling Neophyte

Congratulations on this wonderful news!! My thoughts are with you and your family every day. Continue thinking in the positive direction - I know I will be :^)
-Steph
princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 01:28 PM   #216
Serpreme
Cooling Neophyte

Well lets not question this miracle,i'm just happy its coming through for you Brain,from HardOCP and TTC,my best wishes are out to you.
Serpreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 11:59 PM   #217
Liquid_Lizzard
Cooling Neophyte

Brian hello from the four corners area new mexico usa ,have been following your thread since i surfed over from overclockers.com and must say that my thoughts have been with you and im glad your wife is coming along so well so soon just go's to show what the power of the brain and a lil love and support from you and all of us outhere pulling for her can do keep us posted and best wishes john mc.
Unread 03-12-2004, 01:17 AM   #218
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Update! Heather made it home today at about 3:00pm and it feels great to have her back! She's still needing a lot of work with memory, thinking and she still needs some work on her physical abilities. However, she's home, and that's a HUGE chunk of goodness dropped into my life.

The outpatient therapy starts now, but they actually think she might regain enough so that a casual conversation two years from now might not divulge that she had a stroke. So, only she (and others that knew her well and spend a lot of time with her) would know that some things are not the same as they were.

I'd post a picture that I took when she first came home, but my laptop with all the pics downloaded from the camera just died. The backlight CCFL is burnt, I think, and I don't know how to replace that on my Fujitsu N3010. I can't even take it apart easily, unlike the much older compaq laptops that I've owned. I'm going to copy data off of my laptop drive and send the laptop in for warantee repairs, but it's still annoying. Ask pHaestus how it feels, as he had laptop break for him too (although I think his problem was hard drive failure)!
Unread 03-12-2004, 11:06 AM   #219
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
they actually think she might regain enough so that a casual conversation two years from now might not divulge that she had a stroke.
OK, NOW they tell you... I feel that's a correct estimate though. Good to hear she's back home. Take care and have a bit of a holiday break together after all that!
Unread 03-12-2004, 04:03 PM   #220
Serpreme
Cooling Neophyte

2 years is nothing when your working with something you love. I'm sure that now she is home,she will progress nicely enough.
Serpreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #221
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

After a day of fiddling my notebook is working fine again Brian. Weirdest thing I've seen in a long time; all's well that ends well though I guess.
Unread 03-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #222
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Its great to hear stuff is progressing that well Brian! Glad to hear shes home!

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2004, 06:01 PM   #223
Mr. Thompson
Cooling Neophyte

Brian - Thanks for the update. It's good to hear things are going well.

Our prayers for you and Heather will continue.

Colin

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.
Mr. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2004, 10:12 PM   #224
Jibjo
Cooling Neophyte

Brian yes thanks for the update - I give you joy, and continue to have your family in thoughts and prayers.
Jibjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 02:19 AM   #225
UnloadeD
Cooling Savant

Glad to hear she's made it home and is doing so well. I agree 100% about doctors sometimes being overly pessimistic. A guy I work with, his wife was pregnant and almost 2 months ago the doctors told them the baby was deformed and probably wouldn't be born alive. This was based on ultrasounds and other tests they ran. They tried to convince them to abort or induce labor and get it over with. This went strongly against their religious beliefs so they decided to wait. Last week the baby was born via C-section with Dr, anasthesist, nurse, father and chaplain present. To everybody's suprise they had a perfectly healthy baby girl. The mother wound up being completely put under during the procedure and it took a while for it to sink in when she was coming out of it. A lot of people have been telling them they could probably sue for mental anguish or something along those lines. They aren't interested in anything like that. They are just grateful to have a healthy baby and that they were able to stick to their beliefs. I only share the story with you because I've been sharing your story with him, both kind of have the same impact on me. Keep us updated on progress and setbacks lots of us are following along.

peace.
unloaded
UnloadeD is offline   Reply With Quote