Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 01-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
ozzy7750
Cooling Neophyte

Default How much cooling does a NB require?

Hi guys
I have an 875 board, and the nb gets damn hot. I have already decided I am going to wc it, I am just trying to decide on the design.

I have already finished my cpu, #rotor style, so my gpu and nb will be constructed the same way.

One way to do the nb would just be an empty copper shell, ie aim for as little restriction as possible. I think that would still cool ok, do you? This would then mean that my loop would go cpu->gpu->nb

The other way is to make a normal #rotor style block for it, but dont join all of the holes together, making quite a restrictive block. This would definately cool better. My loop would then go cpu->nb&gpu in parallel.

The last way will give my loop overall best flow, but my gpu may suffer.

Any thoughs?

I will post pics when I am done
ozzy7750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
Onlypro
Cooling Neophyte

I would make a rotor block, but let the holes overlap more so that the channels are wider so there is less flow restriction.

I wouldnt do the copper shell thing. No point, might aswell leave the stock heatsink on if you are going to do that. You are watercooling the NB for performance, right? Thats just my opinion.
Onlypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

another way is to run your CPU in it own leg, then parallel to that. have the GPU=NB blocks in series, forming the 2nd Leg.

This way the GPU=NB Leg will always have a higher flow resistance, compared to the CPU leg, giving it most of the flow, which is good.

Is the way I'm running my 5 block rig right now....
Unread 01-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
Onlypro
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Rotor
another way is to run your CPU in it own leg, then parallel to that. have the GPU=NB blocks in series, forming the 2nd Leg.

This way the GPU=NB Leg will always have a higher flow resistance, compared to the CPU leg, giving it most of the flow, which is good.

Is the way I'm running my 5 block rig right now....
Rotor, you saying to split the flow from pump output 1x which splits to cpu and gpu/nb with a wye, then another wye to split gpu and nb?

That would be 4 wyes, wouldnt it?
Onlypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2004, 01:42 AM   #5
ozzy7750
Cooling Neophyte

cool thanks for that.

Onlypro: He means having the nb and gpu in series, which are in parallel with the cpu block. so 2 y's

What design do you do for your nb rotor?

when you say that you have your 5-block rig like that, do oyu have 4 blocks in series, which are in parallel with the cpu? I do quite like that idea, I hadnt thought of that.
ozzy7750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
Mosh
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlypro
...I wouldnt do the copper shell thing. No point, might aswell leave the stock heatsink on if you are going to do that. You are watercooling the NB for performance, right? Thats just my opinion.
but, cooling the nb ith anykind of WB is better than aircooling, in my case im not into the performance tipe, ok my i am... , but my nb block is more like open syle shell, i have the flows that splits in 2 with an Y that goes one leg to the cpu and onother leg to the NB (GPU block i´n´t yett made ) then rejoins... ho, my quest is more about silence with a increment of performance...
Watercooled
Portugal
Msn: moshirio@hotmail.com
Mosh is offline   Reply With Quote