Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 09-28-2003, 01:04 AM   #1
Tens0r
Cooling Neophyte

Default blower fans.

well for a certain prototype im working on atm , i require air to be pushed 360 degrees from the centre of the fan .

my question is whether a blower style fan would be able to do this and if the flow will be beneficial enough.

all the blowers i have seen have a plastic guard to direct air in one direction and what im trying to achieve doesnt want that.
if i remove the guard so the blower is spinning in free air will it produce this effect i want?

or any way i could make some aerofoils to produce this effect on a blower style fan (heres something for you aerodynamics brainboxes )

thx
Tens0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2003, 01:29 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

360 degrees, eh?

You can catch the air outlet, and redirect it any way you want. You'll take a hit on the pressure, but with a blower, that's negligeable.

You can use a ~2" diameter hose (a common car part) to redirect airflow (or whatever matches the size of the blower you're thinking of, I'm thinking about a 4" blower wheel!).

A smaller blower would be trickier, because they're not as efficient in small diameters. You'd have to give us more details.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2003, 03:04 AM   #3
Tens0r
Cooling Neophyte

what im meant to say is that air moves in all directions from the blower because the air isnt being directed anywhere by a housing, i was wondering if this effect was possible as someone told me blowers wont work without a housing.
Tens0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2003, 06:56 AM   #4
m00j
Cooling Neophyte

looking at the papst site, they sell blowers without housings. Im sure if you emailed them they could tell you if they worked without housing

linky
m00j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2003, 07:04 AM   #5
TallTxnMo
Cooling Neophyte

I think what he's thinking about is an Orb style fan. Kinda like a centrifigal fan without the housing.
TallTxnMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2003, 07:10 AM   #6
Boli
Cooling Savant

Sweet they sell 172mm fans on that page!

Didn't think they made computer fans that big due to voltage concerns *plots next case mod*

~ Boli
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote