Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 09-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
Lope
Cooling Neophyte

Default Mounting considerations in waterblock design

For my first CPU waterblock, I made one of those Endcap waterblocks, where u solder a +-45mm copper end cap onto a copper plate, drill 2 holes in the top, and solder in 2 copper pipes.

I tried mounting that block with 4 bolts without springs, and it was unbalanced, i tried to tighten it more and more guessing which side was not tightened enough, and then cracked a duron CPU in half hehe.
After that i decided no more mounting without springs.

At the end of this post is a pic of a waterblock i settled upon using the spring clip that came with a stock heatsink. quick and easy. Not too bad performance. But for my next waterblock it will be on a sempron CPU (full surface) and i want a decent CPU waterblock.
I dont know where to get mounting springs from...

How common is the method where you have a plate suspended above the waterblock with a bolt through its centre pressing down in the centre of the waterblock?
(doesnt look too nice)

Otherwise perhaps i'll get this kit:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...light=mounting

Any wisdom would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 106cwb_closeup.jpg (67.8 KB, 31 views)
Lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
Moto7451
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Mounting considerations in waterblock design

Its been done before on some Koolance products I think and a few DIYers do it that way. Personally I would just use four bolds and some springs.

Loop 1: D5 Pump • Bonneville w/ AC Heater Core • Swiftech MCW6002 • Gemini Tsunami VGA block • Gemini Tsunami S478 block (cold side chiller block)

110W 16v TEC @ 60W 12v

Loop 2: PC Watercooling Shop 12v Water Pump • PCWCS 80.2 Rad • Gemini Tsunami (hot side chiller block)
Moto7451 is offline   Reply With Quote