Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-24-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
Ricey
Cooling Neophyte

Default Bay Res

I was wondering if a dual bay res had any pluses from a single bay or smaller reservoir. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks
Superflower 550W
NEC ND-3520
ATi X1900XT @ 670/1600
Creative X-FI Elite Pro
Windows XP Pro
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Jason_The_Angry
Cooling Neophyte

from what i can see, the res is just there to keep the pump happy. that means, not forcing the pump to have to suck water uphill (most watercooling pumps not good at). so i would assume that they have no real advantage other than maybe dissipating a bit more heat due to increased surface area. however, plastic isn't great at heat transfer anyways. my opinion, a single bay res is probably just fine.
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:57 AM   #3
Ricey
Cooling Neophyte

also, i bought a Dangerden dual bay 5.25 res but the mounting holes didnt match up with the removable bay brackets. Does anyone know if the frozencpu one does? Or if im going single bay does the one at cooltechnica/dtekcustoms mounting holes fit in the removable bay rack of an Antec P160 (if anyone knows at least)
Superflower 550W
NEC ND-3520
ATi X1900XT @ 670/1600
Creative X-FI Elite Pro
Windows XP Pro
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey
I was wondering if a dual bay res had any pluses from a single bay or smaller reservoir. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks
afaik only that it's less prone to air being drawn into the lines as the waterlevel is well above the fittings....
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2004, 08:26 AM   #5
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

there is more room to connect hoses to a dual-bay res than on a smaller one. there might be less chance of sucking in air bubbles on with a larger res. a larger res might be quieter than a really small one. other than that i cant think of any real benefits a dual-bay res would have over a single-bay one.

Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 02-29-2004 at 08:41 AM.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote