Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
JakeX
Cooling Neophyte

Distilled or De-Ionized? What to go with?

I bought 2 jugs 1 of each.. and I am wondering which is the best to use. Also I plan on just adding antifreeze (probly a 90-10 mix).

What is good to use as a coolant? Also I don't have access to waterwetter. (In Canada.. nobody ever heard of it. I asked @ Canadian Tire, some automotive things).

I was going to use something like washerfluid or antifreeze to mix, I thought of maybe adding some lysol/pinesol to cover any smell (I got a rez).

Whats a good mix guys?
------------------------------------------------------
JakeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
Meethoss
Cooling Savant

Distilled and de-ionized are pretty much the same thing. Apparently the latter is better, but turns to distilled (i.e. takes in ions) in quite a short time anyway. So you could probably even mix it.

As far as the mix - I wouldn't use washer fluid! That would create bubbles and shit. You'd be better off just using 10% anti freeze if you can't get anything better.
Unread 03-05-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
Ewout_vB
Cooling Savant

De-ionized is better, less mineral deposits, the rest is pretty much the same as distilled...

Anyone know where to get this BTW?
Ewout_vB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
JakeX
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewout_vB
De-ionized is better, less mineral deposits, the rest is pretty much the same as distilled...

where to get De-ionized water? I got mine at Canadian Tire (in Canada) sold in the automotive department for radiators etc..
------------------------------------------------------
JakeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
redleader
Thermophile

The realworld difference is basically zero since water will ionize the metals in your system.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
Butcher
Thermophile

Distilled de-ionised is similar in perforamcne - it's better than tap water due to less disolved minerals, but that's about it. Getting hold of it should be very easy, it's sold all over.
Unread 03-06-2004, 03:32 AM   #7
kronchev
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewout_vB

How does condensed steam get minerals?
kronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 06:41 AM   #8
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

This page discusses the process behind distilled and de-ionised water.

About de-ionised water (here) - slightly alarming: "Demi water is quite aggressive for metals, even for stainless steel. So in many cases plastic materials are used to transport the demi water."
Does this mean that lack of minerals is actually a bad thing

edit: another linky. "Water readily absorbs gases from the air and is a potent solvent (ultrapure water will dissolve glass, quartz, sapphire, all stainless steels, titanium, aluminum, etc.)" Wow

Last edited by lolito_fr; 03-06-2004 at 07:00 AM.
lolito_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #9
RoboTech
Cooling Savant

No, a lack of minerals is not a bad thing in a PC water-cooling system. The higher the concentration of dissolved minerals, the more chance you have of developing deposits on various wetted surfaces that will reduce heat transfer and in some cases restrict flow.

When talking about the various types of purified water, remember to keep it in the context of PC water-cooling. Plain old grocery store distilled water (RO filtered, steam distilled, uV treated) is excellent for PC water-cooling systems. The only other thing you probably need to add is some type of anti-corrosion additive.

Using demineralized (demi), deionized (DI), or ultra pure water in your PC won't hurt anything - BUT it won't gain you anything either. Process equipment (boilers, incubators, etc) that require a constant flow of feed water can be quickly damaged by DI water as it will leach out the metal ions. This does not happen in your PC because it is a one-time addition and then that same water just gets recirculated. IF you were continuously passing DI water thru your water-cooling system loop instead of recirculating it, then it would quickly start dissolving components.

Paying extra money for DI water vs. distilled water doesn't gain you anything because it has such a high affinity for ions it will quickly become un-deionized (and basically the same as distilled) by the time you get the system filled. DI water will immediately start sucking ions out of the air (disolved gases), the bottle or container you pour it into and your cooling system. But the amount of ions absorbed in a one-time fill are so miniscule they do no measurable damage - it takes constant, continous use to do permanent damage. Unless specially handled and sealed DI water quickly becomes ionized.

Good links BTW...
RoboTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Using demineralized (demi), deionized (DI), or ultra pure water in your PC won't hurt anything
Phew!
Thanks for that, sounds like you know what you're talking about
lolito_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
kronchev
Cooling Savant

Robo - thanks for that explanation. I drove all the hell around trying to find battery top off water, then broke down and bought this stuff. I was afraid it wouldnt work as well...good to hear that it will
kronchev is offline   Reply With Quote