Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #1
Yogi
Cooling Neophyte

Default Single Output rbx?

Well I have an rbx now, I regret it a little bit but it's what I bought in the beginning of it all so I'm sticking with it. I'm working on a new system and going to bring over some of the parts from this loop. One thing that I'm not liking about the rbx is the dual outputs on it.

Anybody have any experience or any ideas if it'd hurt performace making a top with a single output? Such as the Cascade where it wasn't a huge hit in performance?
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
kronchev
Cooling Savant

The only reason I can see why youd want to do it is space, but...that still doesnt really seem worth it. Other than that I dont know if it'd hurt.
kronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

The cascade works differently. With an RBX, if you sealed off one end, only half the die would be directly cooled, I believe.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
Blackeagle
Thermophile

A new top with inlet at one end of the channels and outlet at the other end would work alright, but the alteration will cost you a 2-3c hit on how well it cools.

Guess it just depends on how big a headache you find the dual outlets to be. 2-3c won't change things all that much, but then your at the point where you could have bought a lower cost Slit Edge to start with.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #5
Yogi
Cooling Neophyte

I was thinking more of just a new top in the same configuration minus one outlet. Center of the inlet is right over the die so I'd imagine it'd still cool pretty decently but with a small hit. What's your take on that way Blackeagle?
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

Ive been thinking of getting either a Dtek WW or a DD RBX. Whats the difference? LRWW looks like it would be better for flow..
If you sealed the inlet in the middle, and used oneend as inlet and one as outlet, wouldnt it be basicly the same as WW, which would perform best like this?
How well would the WW be with 1 in and 1 out, instead of 2 out?
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

WW is worse for flow. I don't know about the LR ones, but the Dtek ones are worse for flow. There is a procooling comparison. If you sealed the inlet in the middle, then you wouldn't get the impingement, and that is vital for its performance. If you're only going to use two barbs, use the middle one as the inlet, and the other one as the sole outlet.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi
I was thinking more of just a new top in the same configuration minus one outlet. Center of the inlet is right over the die so I'd imagine it'd still cool pretty decently but with a small hit. What's your take on that way Blackeagle?
It wont work well. the water will only flow over half the cpu die area the other half will not have any water floing over it. VERY bad!

The only way to go would be to block the center and use the one of the outlets as an inlet.
SlaterSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2004, 12:04 PM   #9
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

This seems like a bad idea to me. Are you using a heatercore? If so you can find 3 barb Y connector. I am not a big fan of the Ys either but I'd rather have one than take a performance hit on the block. You'd have a fair amount of dead water pooling in the wb if you blocked off one outlet...
Unread 03-07-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
iggy
Cooling Neophyte

you could always just put an end cap on the intake, instead of the intake barb, although then you lose the jet impingement
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote