Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 05-27-2003, 11:12 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Planetside MMOFPS

This game whips the llama's ass. I've been strapped to my mic headset with a squad of buddies doing organized assaults on bases all damn evening. It is like UT2K3 or Q3, but with teams that are thousands of people strong. Imagine a battle with 300 soldiers per side ... it is quite sexy. Combine that with the fact that you can pilot jets (with others as gunners/passengers), drive tanks, transports, buggies, etc along with taking on any role you want in combat ... it is the most fun I've ever had in a shooter. You guys should take a peek at it if you have time.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2003, 11:47 PM   #2
koslov
Cooling Savant

It was fun... for about a week. I played the beta for a little while, when I stopped, I was CR2 and BR13. In the beginning, it's hard to have fun because you are overwhelmed with all the things you don't understand.

The complaint I have is that, although there is potential for strategy... usually bases are capped by massive zerg assaults. It's fun sieging a base like this (pouring in from a nearby tower or AMP), but after a while, I found it was getting too repetitive, with little opportunity to improve skill. Weapons are based on cone-of-fire (COF), which means every projectile follows the same cone geometry, whether it's your first shot or 50th. I prefer recoil-based, such as Battlefield 1942. Getting higher levels means little: implants aren't that advantageous. More certs just means more versatility, since even a new player can get a MAX cert.

Even as a commander coordinating assaults, tactical skill is useless if there is a large force defending an area.

I recommend the game if you are into FPS, but don't sign up for a year long subscription right away. I think you get a month free with the box purchase, after which point you will probably tire of the game.

Unless the devs drastically changed the game in the last week or so before it went gold, I think what I played and retail are pretty much the same.

-edit I played only as Vanu Sovereignty, so I might be slightly biased.

Last edited by koslov; 05-27-2003 at 11:54 PM.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

There were some pretty big changes from beta to retail. Now it isn't uncommon to see bases defended by two-three squads being attacked by 2-3 squads from each of the other two empires for a nice three way cluster-fsck. Last night I ran a tower defense that lasted two hours consisting of my squad and four other people against at least four squads from another empire. It is really starting to get interesting as people realize that tactics are necessary. Since XP is vastly lowered, most people are under BR6 right now. The best out there are still only at around BR13-16, and the higher levels got there through exploits. I've found myself on the VOIP helping direct tactics for my squad because when you're doing raids outside of the 3-4 zerg armies, you need all the tactics you can get.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote