Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 06-25-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Website

Well, I finally had it with mini-hosting on my work computer, so I now have a domain at www.airspirit.net. I'm basically just going to be a link farm for worthy hardware and cooling articles along with assorted other jazz. I'll be hosting small forums for groups (such as the FFR Planetside outfit), and anything that you guys want me to link to in the menu will be welcome (unless it is along the lines of goatse.cx or is Tom's Hardware quality stuff).

If anything, those of you that run websites should check out the java bar on the page (yes, java is required). If any of you are interested in those types of buttons, menus, and widgets (you can make them into any kind of WinXPesque form you want) you should let me know (PM) or go to www.apycom.com. Really, though, you should contact me if you want them though ... enough said.

Other than the menu, it is pretty plain and will most likely stay that way. It isn't going to be a content host (except for things such as the heatercore DB and other reference tools ... I will host them if you want to add to the collection) as much as a portal, and I don't want it to be a bandwidth hog.

I don't mean to pimp a site here, but it isn't commercial and in no way conflicts with Pro/Cooling (in fact, there will probably be a multitude of links pointing here), so I thought I'd let you know.

Comments? Criticism?
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
iroc409
Cooling Savant

that menu stuff is cool, but i do have an aesthetic pointer. that logo is driving me up the wall.

give it a 1-2px white stroke, or black stroke with an outer glow or something. too hard to read, makes my eyes confused.
Unread 06-25-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Got a link to the Java add-on, for my mighty old P166, and IE 5.5?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

YGPM

And the logo IS supposed to drive you up the wall. Aesthetics in the ghetto? Well I never ....
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied

Last edited by airspirit; 06-25-2003 at 06:37 PM.
Unread 06-25-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

No, LOL! I meant, how do I view it?
Unread 06-25-2003, 10:54 PM   #6
iroc409
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
YGPM

And the logo IS supposed to drive you up the wall. Aesthetics in the ghetto? Well I never ....

don't get teh "YGPM" but i guess i get your point about the ghetto.

i'm just coming from an area where it's very specific that i get bitched out if every single little detail isn't perfectly readable... but then again most of what i do are sales tools
Unread 06-25-2003, 11:10 PM   #7
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by iroc409
don't get teh "YGPM"

You Got Private Message
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 07:22 AM   #8
iroc409
Cooling Savant

oh.
Unread 06-26-2003, 09:28 AM   #9
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Oh! You need a relatively decent Java VM to view it ... sorry! You can get it at java.sun.com.

I feel your pain, Iroc. After having to do things that are accessible to the lowest common denominator, it is nice to be able to design things that aren't example of corporate "art". The sheer ugliness of it appeals to me, hehe.
Unread 06-26-2003, 09:32 AM   #10
iroc409
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Oh! You need a relatively decent Java VM to view it ... sorry! You can get it at java.sun.com.

I feel your pain, Iroc. After having to do things that are accessible to the lowest common denominator, it is nice to be able to design things that aren't example of corporate "art". The sheer ugliness of it appeals to me, hehe.
Unread 06-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #11
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I'm gonna kick Adelphia's ass, tho, if they don't stop screwing with the DNS. They moved the server to another IP, and now randomly the www and non-www variants are pointing to either the old or new IP address. They change it every other hour, so there's no telling which version will work and which will not. Very fricking irritating.
Unread 06-27-2003, 01:08 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Got another one? I never ran the upgrade from Win95 to Win 98, on this antique, and it's a requirement!

Meh, maybe I'll just upgrade it.
Unread 06-27-2003, 03:30 PM   #13
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Well, there's no reason not to ... though you're probably better off with a lightweight linux distro on it. I can't imagine you're using it for gaming, so the major objection is then overcome. If you need, I can hook you up with software that allows you to use Office2000 in linux ....