Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 09-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Looking for PSU schematics

I have 2 different versions of some IBM server power supplies, and I am having trouble finding shcematics. I would gladly give one to somebody if they paid the freight if they can find schematics. I just want to be able to use one to drive case fans, pumps, cathodes, etc. The supplies are as follows:

Delta PN DPS-420CB

Magnetek 3722-40-1

I guess if nothing else I can sit down with a meter and get the different signals on the output side. I dont know if these things had propiertary pin outs or what.
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

A meter is by far the easiest solution.

I've tried to obtain diagrams, but unless you know someone at IBM, you're not going to get them.

Check out my PSU array thread (linked in sig) for some diagrams.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I'm posting the pics, for everyone's benefit:

I see the custom 24 pin connector, I'm just not sure how the db15 connector is used here. Anyone else?

[edit]resized the pics...

Last edited by bigben2k; 09-21-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Unread 09-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
KnightElite
Cooling Savant

If that is from a server, then the server may well have redundant power supplies, and the DB-15 connector may be a communications port relating to that.
Unread 09-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The only question left would be how to turn it on, and if that requires that a signal be sent through the db15 connector.

Let's assume for a moment that the DB15 is simply to get a status on the PSU. There's still 24 pins on that power connector. If one plugs it in, it should be possible to at least identify, if there is one, which line is the 5 volt standby (which is always on).

Step one really ought to be to identify which pins are used for ground. Once one pin has been identified, it should be a simple exercise of identifying which other ones are also ground. It should be possible to do this with a voltmeter, while the PSU is OFF, and should be relatively easy, asuming that the case is also grounded.
Unread 09-22-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Metering the psu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
Yeah, that's what I thought too. The only question left would be how to turn it on, and if that requires that a signal be sent through the db15 connector.

Let's assume for a moment that the DB15 is simply to get a status on the PSU. There's still 24 pins on that power connector. If one plugs it in, it should be possible to at least identify, if there is one, which line is the 5 volt standby (which is always on).

Step one really ought to be to identify which pins are used for ground. Once one pin has been identified, it should be a simple exercise of identifying which other ones are also ground. It should be possible to do this with a voltmeter, while the PSU is OFF, and should be relatively easy, asuming that the case is also grounded.
I found no pins that read to ground, and I searched for what I thought would perhaps be a coil that would normally energize the supply. When I found the pins I thought would be the coil, and then jumped them and powered the supply, I still got no voltage out of any of the pins. As you can see on the end with the ac plug, there are leds that indicate power and dc good, and they do light up when ac is applied. I have searched all over the net for data on these units and can find none. They may be a propietary design for IBM.
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote