Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 10-31-2002, 01:57 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Popped my Linux cherry!

This is my first post in Linux. Heh. Mandrake 9.0 seems easy enough to use. I'm downloading Mozilla 1.2b now, and I'm hunting for a good way (Crossover Office/Plugin?) to run MS Office in Linux. If I can do that, I may convince my employer to let me geekify the office. I f*cking hate windows, and the fact that I can get this schweet OS for free makes me hate it even more. I can't wait to set up a linux network server at home (one more month ... ).
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 02:21 PM   #2
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Debian 4 Life
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 02:25 PM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

What's the difference? I just picked this distro up because it was on a super-fast FTP and I was bored waiting for Lycoris and Red Hat. I know next to nothing about Linux except that all the software for network management (DNS/Proxy/Apache/etc) are designed for it. I must confess, it just took me 15 minutes to install Mozilla, and it would have taken longer if it wasn't for a tutorial I found online. This is going to be an adventure.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 10-31-2002, 02:43 PM   #4
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Anything made by someone associated with RedHat usually has a Easy to use GUI of some sort...

Debian(last I used it), was all console based...better than Slackware though.

Mandrake/RedHat/Caldera/Open/Suse are all Linux distros that come with GUIs that pop up on install, making it easier for Windows people to operate.

Also looks pretty.

I grew up on DOS so Debian was easy and normal for me.
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 02:55 PM   #5
ezlid
Cooling Neophyte

Check out WINE to run MS Office in Mandrake
ezlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 02:57 PM   #6
mo
Cooling Savant

vmware is what I used on my linux box for a while until I got comfortable with star office. I still occasionally use it though for msaccess since I really like ot for quick_n_dirty live reports.

It lets you run 'virtual' OS's within linux and works well enough for windows (Dont expect to get phenomenal FS for gaming though ). Anyways. will do the job for office as long as you've got the memory to spare. (256 should do the job for word/excel)
mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

My issue is Access. There is no parallel in StarOffice, and I have a massive database array I've programmed that is dependant on Access. Kind of a drag, but if I have to retype hundreds of megs of data, I'll not be a happy camper.
Unread 10-31-2002, 03:21 PM   #8
mo
Cooling Savant

*tsk tsk* need to move on to SQL man!! anyways, check out vmware. Its not difficult and its really good. There are also several freeware projects you can find on freshmeat.net that let you emulate OS' within linux. One thing to keep in mind though is you will always take a hit on performance when you do this...
mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 11:09 AM   #9
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default GODDAMMIT!

I would be using Crossover Office right now if it wasn't for the fact that I cannot load the bastid. It installs (sometimes ... other times I have to cut out cos it freezes and then rm the directory), but then won't setup. I'm soooooo pizzed right now I coult spit. I'm going to shoot an email to the company to see if something I'm doing is wrong. Frickin' buggy crap, if you ask me, for something that costs $60 ... can't even install itself (it says in the readme that it might pause before running setup, but after a half hour of it doing nothing, or THREE HOURS of it saying "Please wait, initializing," I get mighty f*cking impatient.
Unread 11-01-2002, 11:18 AM   #10
kai
Cooling Neophyte

i use staroffice in linux it can import and export ms office files check it out www.staroffice.com

well i guess sun made staroffice not free anymore but there is openoffice , which is the free open source version , www.openoffice.org or heres a direct dl link

http://sf1.mirror.openoffice.org/sta...install.tar.gz

Last edited by kai; 11-01-2002 at 11:24 AM.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2002, 01:07 PM   #11
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Yeah, but Star/OpenOffice doesn't do Access .mdb files, and that's the rub. For all of how I hate M$ products, Access is a really nice and easy interface for my business to access the data they need, and prevent l0sers from ruining the dbase (through deleting our customer table, f'rinstance). I don't want to go away from Access, which is why I was looking at Crossover Office.
Unread 11-01-2002, 01:24 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

If you're building a server in a month, I'd go with SQL server. That's what I'll be doing (once I get my wife to understand why we need another computer in the basement!).
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2002, 11:27 PM   #13
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

COuld always switch from an Access database to a MySQL database, and MySQL is supposed to be better & faster anyway. I'm sure theres conversions and Mandrake 9.0 comes with MySQL.

At the least, you should be able to save the .mdb into some version of a delimited text file then import that into MySQL. I'd help more, but don't know enough about it as I just installed Mandrake 9 but needed the power supply out of that system and haven't used it much.
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2002, 10:34 AM   #14
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

It isn't just the tables, but the programming too. I have huge amounts of macros and VB modules that manipulate that thing (I don't want to have to mine it for data myself), and I don't know that those would convert.