Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #251
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Default Re: How much pump is enough? How much is too much?

Efficiency would indicate what electrical energy is wasted, some of which is going to be expended as heat, part of which may or may not end up in the cooling loop.

The pumping action is, IMO, the main source of pump induced heat. It can be calculated as a function of flow and pressure. In fact, you can calculate the heat induced this way, for each element within a loop, all of which will add up to the pressure differential at the pump inlet/outlet.

Maybe someone still remembers the formulae?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #252
Roscal
Cooling Savant

Hydraulic power[W] = Flowrate[m³/s] * Pressure[mH2O] * Fluid density[kg/m³] * g[9.81 m/s²]

You know the input power (electrical), then global efficiency is the ratio between hydraulic power and input power. For instance, a Laing DDC 10 W has a peak efficiency of ~17 % where a Laing D5 is ~14 %. Quite bad, but normal for such little pumps. The bigger the pump is, the better the efficiency will be generally.

Heat induced by an element uses the same formula, but pressure become its pressure drop instead. At final : hydraulic power provided by pump = sum of all heat induced by each element due to flow (to fight against friction), all water movement is converted to heat.

Last edited by Roscal; 05-21-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Roscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #253
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

NB I have never actually seen a water cooling pump in the flesh. But have actually made one in my uni course (100mm diameter brass rotor with an ally body powered by a 200W motor, think the best were managing about 30% eff (real to actual hydraulic power) at 6 litres per minute and 10meters of head or something like that).

Those numbers seem reasonable. (hydraulic power (W) = delta P (pa) * Q (kg/m/s), Q being the mass flow rate).

Numbers are low due the pumps not avoiding restrictions and cavitations. Cavitation occurs due to the rotors action. At the start due to centrifugal action the water is moving slowly while at the end it is moving pretty fast. Also the flow channel is expanding. This means that you will get areas of gas build up inside the pump sucking the water backwards. Also the blade designs are often straight when you actually want to curl them so the water around. Same with the inlet where you want a nice little deathspike to smooth the flow around so the loss factor is lower.

I was thinking that I could do a nice little business in upgrading D5’s with a “tuning kit”, hehehehe
bobo5195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #254
muffy
Cooling Neophyte

I was thinking that I could do a nice little business in upgrading D5’s with a “tuning kit”, hehehehe

yeah i have turned my D5 from a 18 watt pump to a 80watt ... one she sure kicks ass now
muffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #255
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

18 to 80w might not be far of the mark actually

I was thinking heatsink / liquid cool the motor so it can be overvolted.

Add a 3D impeller, overhung volute diffuser vanes maybe even a variable geometry setup, ported output area to ½ inch tubing and watch it go. Efficiency would make it in the range of a 80 watt water cooling setup with the current tech and there would probably be less heat dump (due to pumping) and certainly less noise/ vibration to boot.

CAUTION: this post is powered by beer (budvar) to be precise hence is as inaccurate as an alcoholics ramblings
Unread 05-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #256
Marci
Cooling Savant

Quote:
NB I have never actually seen a water cooling pump in the flesh.
Where in the UK are you? Can send you some...
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #257
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

Cheers it would be nice to see some of these things in the flesh. Despite my ramblings on these forums I am still yet to actually see any watercooling components with my own eyes so it would be useful to play with some stuff. An old (doesn’t have to working) waterblock would be useful, if it is not too much trouble.

I am based in London now working for a product design company, but the address is for my home in good old Wales.

We’ll have to see if I come up with a nice cunning plan for making watercooling mainstream! I think I have something devious in mind…
Unread 06-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #258
mwolfman
Cooling Savant

Aslong as I have a flow (sometimes it stops) I can use the Liang DCC 12 plus/ultra @8,2V= zero noise.
OK the water going IN to my CPU-cooler is very coold, around ambriant temperature (5*12cm rad).
If my CPU/GPU gets hot my NG-BIG runs the pump and the fans alot faster.
~0,15452756±0,004125251°C/W , HL120.3 with 3 Papst 4412@7volt , Hydor L30II
mwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #259
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostiakot View Post
A really bad pump as a peak eff of about 11%
A normal cheaply made pump eff of 40%
a well made cheap pump with 2D rotor is 50%
i would say
regards
Sooooo......

Which pumps have a high efficiency and why is that good for WCing?
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #260
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

Well designed centrifugal pump with curved blades. I.e what you normall have but curve the blades.

Beign well made maters more. Woudl really question 50% though, is that including drive/IC.

Not point going 3D with water pumps as not benefit