Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Closed Thread
Unread 08-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Snap Server 4200 replaced drives how having issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
In my experience, being an IT guy does not mean you know what you are doing. But since you want to compare notes. I am a genuine R&D Electronics Engineering Technician with over 10 years of formal education and 30 years field experience. For the record, I never called you a noob, but in this case you do not know what you are talking about and are putting out bad information.
I'll give you this, being in anything for X amount of time doesn't' mean you know what you are doing. But since I routinely get large pay raises, and people calling me and begging me to work on their networks (who the last guy farked up) I'm not to worried about what you have to think. Maybe you should apply your experiences to yourself.

And one more time. I'm NOT putting out bad information. I am telling you what I've gone through and what the result is thus far. Bad information would be me making absurd stuff up and posting it every change I got.

Truth be told, this was one of my favorite machines until this. It was rock solid and reliable.
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #27
schnappi
Cooling Neophyte

I don't like confliction but deffinitly:

1) Snap Server 4200 can't manage drives bigger than 500 Gig. (4400 can!)
2) Snap Server 4200/4500 can't manage WD5000AAKB well. You can use them but the controller limits the data flow.
So Raid 5 building needs 3-4 days.

Definitely. Try, but don't scream.

@jladelfa

Take another 4 500 Gig drives and it will "sashaying".

Last edited by schnappi; 08-18-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #28
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jladelfa View Post
Excuse me? You act like an ass because you are one, period. If you have nothing to offer then you are wasting your time, mine, and the others who are trying to help me. Furthermore, you're wasting the resources of this website.

Bad information, huh? So you're over here with me? You've seen what I'm dealing with? You know that I simply picked this forum and decided to make up a bunch crap just to make some various product look bad. So, for one, you're assuming based off of ZERO intelligence with regards to my situation, and furthermore, logically, your insinuations make zero sense. I have better things to do than waste my time with people like you.

Caps and underlines aren't going to get your idiotic points across any more efficiently than not using them. Do you honestly think I'm in 100 percent agreeance with you now because you used caps and underlines?

No one told you to teach me shit. I asked a question in a forum where people are free to offer help ( or in your case, act like an asshole because you have a cloak of anonymity). And what knowledge of my problem do you have? I've read your posts...it's the same instruction over and over again. One that I've already tried along with 100 variants of. You don't have ANY knowledge of what I'm facing, and now you are trying to burn credit to save face. Furthermore, I don't want you to share anything of your "knowledge" with me, and I THOUGHT I MADE THAT QUITE CLEAR. There, I can use caps too! Maybe it'll help you get the hint. Ass.

I don't care how long you've been here, that doesn't give you the right to assume anything about anyone. When you do, it just proves you're the idiot. And you're not prevent me from spreading anything. Thus far, I've been outline the issues that I'm having and what I've tried to fix them. So are people not aloud to post problem they may shed the product in a negative light? Are you one of those bullies that like to eradicate any negative info about a product just to try to maintain a fake positive image?

What would I pay you for? You're an idiot who I wouldn't trust to keep a bee inside of a lidded jar.

And you haven't killed anything. You've gotten owned because you stuck your nose in where you were asked to keep it out of. And if you think you're a tough guy, you can let me know the next time you arrive in Tampa. I always love to see how you internet tough guys reveal yourselves as cowards when it's time to put up.

Coward

ROFLMFAO I love it...

David, it is obvious he don't know me very well. He just made my day...

I accomplished 100% of what I intended in this message thread...

So much for coward... BTW, you might want to find out a little about someone before you call them a coward...

Last edited by blue68f100; 08-20-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #29
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
I'll give you this, being in anything for X amount of time doesn't' mean you know what you are doing. But since I routinely get large pay raises, and people calling me and begging me to work on their networks (who the last guy farked up) I'm not to worried about what you have to think. Maybe you should apply your experiences to yourself.

And one more time. I'm NOT putting out bad information. I am telling you what I've gone through and what the result is thus far. Bad information would be me making absurd stuff up and posting it every change I got.

Truth be told, this was one of my favorite machines until this. It was rock solid and reliable.
Simple, you didn't read ALL of the information, you missed something, and you screwed it up.

Good information = I missed something, what did I miss? or I can't figure it out, I need help.

Bad information = It doesn't work for me and thus must not work.
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #30
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnappi View Post

2) Snap Server 4200/4500 can't manage WD5000AAKB well. You can use them but the controller limits the data flow.

@jladelfa

#1 WRONG!

4200 and 4500 work great with 4 x 750GB drives all day long. Been there, done it, works fine. In fact with SATA adapters, will use the 1GB drives etc also.

#2 WRONG!

I had a 4500 with 4 x WD5000AAKB (before I put 4 x 750GB in it) and it worked perfect for the 8 months or so it had them before going to larger drives. They work fine.

and They take about 5 hours to do a RAID 5 with those drives...
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #31
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Maybe, if you are real lucky, when you two pull your heads out and realize you are wrong, I might tell you what you did wrong...

Others, if you want to ignore them, and do it right, feel free to contact me for help.
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #32
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
ROFLMFAO I love it...

So much for coward... BTW, you might want to find out a little about someone before you call them a coward...

That really doesn't mean anything since that still doesn't allow for a face to face encounter, and again, you should take some of your own advice about finding out about someone....

Last edited by blue68f100; 08-20-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: not necessay
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #33
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Maybe, if you are real lucky, when you two pull your heads out and realize you are wrong, I might tell you what you did wrong...

Others, if you want to ignore them, and do it right, feel free to contact me for help.
Look, if you're as reasonable as you say you are, and as busy as me, I'm sure you'll agree that this is pointless to argue over a message board.

So I'll start over. I will just recall what has happened thus far.

Bought new drives. Took out all old drives except drive 1.

Plopped in a new drive into slot two.

Started the server, waited ten minutes, logged in and verified everything was recognized correctly as far as drive size and what not.

Shut down server. Removed old drive from slot 1, put new drive that was in slot 2 into slot 1.

Put another new drive in slot two, turned on server.

Waited some more, logged in, verified drive size, all looked good.

Tried plugging third drive in (hot), didn't work. Green LED didn't even come on.

Rebooted server, everything was fine. Rinse, repeat for fourth drive.

Created a RAID 5, didn't get any weird messages, but it took 5 days to resync.

When it was done, tried moving a file to it, and it took forever. Also, I noticed spikes in network utilization. Looked at the logs, and saw all of the errors which I then posted here.

I also did more research on the errors and the only thing that was even close suggested a driver issue with the new drives and the OS.

Broke the raid apart, did a clean install. Resync only took 3 days this time. Still same result though.

Took all the drives out but one, plugged them into my windows box, used disk manager to completely wipe them, and put them back into the snap server one by one the way I described before. Same result, and the log said it was trying to rebuild the RAID.

Took all drives out again. Installed server 2003 R2 on one, plugged it into the snap, wouldn't boot. "Disk read error". I went into the bios and disabled watchdog. No dice.

Went back to Guardian OS V3. It's in there now, with all drives, asking if i want to do a clean install, reinstall, et cetera.

I have a new version of Guardian OS (5), that I got a while ago and was to busy to mess with at the time. Problem is, it's zipped and password protected and I forgot the password and lost the email that had it.

So, again, I am a grown up and I'll eat crow all day long if I did something wrong. I asked for help, got a set of instructions and followed them to what I thought was a T.

I could have left it the way it was (with the errors in the log), but it was very slow, and it just isn't right. I don't like to do things half assed, and it just isn't right. I'm a firm believer in doing a job until it's done right, and done completely. Half assed work tells a lot about a person, and I refuse to have it associated with my name. I'm not trying to be arrogant at all, but that is why I continually get job offers.

So anyone that has any info for me I'd be appreciative, or anyone that says, "hey moron, you missed step 6 and that is why it doesn't work", I'll laugh and say, "oops, I was a moron, thanks for the missing piece".
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #34
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnappi View Post

@jladelfa

Again (to phoenix32) I'm not trying to spread "bad info", but as far as my experience with my current ordeal:

1. My research says it can IF you can get the proper adapters for the bigger drives. I believe it can handle up to 18 or 22 TB.

2. Can't say for sure, but those are the drives I have and it told me it would take 22 hours to move 33 gigs onto it. Also, note, the error logs I've posted which would lead me to believe it does have an issue dealing with those drives. I could be wrong though. Also, it did, in fact, take at least 3 days to resync every time I set up the RAID.

Also, when I just had the one new drive in it, in RAID 0, it flew. Awesome transfer times. The second I put one more new drive in it, made it another vol, it was back to dragging ass....both of the drives.

So maybe it isn't an issue with the drives per say, but when the snap tries to manage them in a RAID. (or even in seperate RAIDs)
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
schnappi
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Bought new drives. Took out all old drives except drive 1.

Plopped in a new drive into slot two.

Started the server, waited ten minutes, logged in and verified everything was recognized correctly as far as drive size and what not.

Shut down server. Removed old drive from slot 1, put new drive that was in slot 2 into slot 1.

Put another new drive in slot two, turned on server.

Waited some more, logged in, verified drive size, all looked good.

Tried plugging third drive in (hot), didn't work. Green LED didn't even come on.

Rebooted server, everything was fine. Rinse, repeat for fourth drive.

Created a RAID 5, didn't get any weird messages, but it took 5 days to resync.
Even if "some guys" start screaming again ..
Try any other drives than the WD drives and you will be lucky.

That what you depict - I had the same phenomenon.
Take e.g. inexpensive Hitachi 7K500 and it will work.
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #36
blue68f100
Thermophile

I've stayed out of this for the most part. Phoenix32 is right you are missing a few things actually.

I have problem when persons come here asking for help, failed to use the search feature to find the answer. Then says it can't be done when he tries and fail. All it indicates it the user does not have the knowledge and or expertise that he says he has.

The 4200 upgrades the same as my 4500. I did mine 3+ yrs ago when none of this knowledge was available and/or posted on this forum. I upgrade ram as well as HD's capacity.

Now if I recall you upgraded the ram but only 1/2 was be reported, that should have told you the ram is not compatiable with the unit. I suggest you look at the original ram (full specs) and see what you missed. The GOS likes lots of ram when it comes to large capacity HD's.

Now when it comes to HD's most will work if setup properly. Now some work better than other. There is one setting that works best if you only have 1 HD on a controller. Now for some knowledge, the IDE controllers are converted to SATA on the MB. What settings does SATA use? So the use of SATA to IDE to use large capacity drives will work if you can get them to fit in the confined space. Now most all raid5 arrays are sensitive to timing, so I can not say they will work trouble free without long term extended testing.

btw, You missed up on your 1st step.
There are some important steps that MUST be done before you remove the original HD's.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #37
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
I've stayed out of this for the most part. Phoenix32 is right you are missing a few things actually.

I have problem when persons come here asking for help, failed to use the search feature to find the answer. Then says it can't be done when he tries and fail. All it indicates it the user does not have the knowledge and or expertise that he says he has.

The 4200 upgrades the same as my 4500. I did mine 3+ yrs ago when none of this knowledge was available and/or posted on this forum. I upgrade ram as well as HD's capacity.

Now if I recall you upgraded the ram but only 1/2 was be reported, that should have told you the ram is not compatiable with the unit. I suggest you look at the original ram (full specs) and see what you missed. The GOS likes lots of ram when it comes to large capacity HD's.

Now when it comes to HD's most will work if setup properly. Now some work better than other. There is one setting that works best if you only have 1 HD on a controller. Now for some knowledge, the IDE controllers are converted to SATA on the MB. What settings does SATA use? So the use of SATA to IDE to use large capacity drives will work if you can get them to fit in the confined space. Now most all raid5 arrays are sensitive to timing, so I can not say they will work trouble free without long term extended testing.

btw, You missed up on your 1st step.
There are some important steps that MUST be done before you remove the original HD's.
Um, OK, let's go over what you're saying....

You have a problem with people asking for help that fail to use search.
FYI, I searched everything from just 4200 to 4200 larger, bigger, hard drives, hdd, ugrage, et cetera. I read every single post regarding those terms, rest assured. I will PROVE this to you in a second.

Next, please quote where I stated it couldn't be done. I said don't do it (inferring it was a pain) but I never stated it couldn't be done. Do you know what I don't like? People who put words in other peoples' mouth. All it indicates is that the person is a blowhard.

The RAM isn't even close to being my main problem, or my main focus and has since been remedied.

Now on to your next paragraph. You OPENLY state that most HDD's will work IF set up properly. Have you worked with my identical HDD's? If not then why are you commenting? This paragraph doesn't help me one bit. I know what occurs between the HDD'S and the mobo.

Now, onto your last tidbit about ME missing the first step:

This is a direct quote from you in the beginning of the thread:
__________________________________________________ _______________
Sounds like you may be low on ram. GOS needs a min of 512, recommend 1-2gig.

I would suggest not to use re-imaging on new sets. The parmaters are not the same between HD's.

My course of action would be to delete the Raid5 array.
Remover all HD's except drive 1.
Do a quick erase of the removed HD's
Launch the recovery console, and do a "clean install"
Once the clean install has been preformed, reboot.
Then check to see if the HD is identified correctly. If not you may have to update the GOS.
If good hot swap drive 2, wait for OS transfer, check to see if it is identified correctly.
If good, go ahead and hot swap drives 3 and 4.

With all HD showing proper capacity, go ahead and build your raid5
__________________________________________________ _____________

Delete the RAID 5

OK, so this is partially my fault because I didn't cover every single thing I did. My Mistake. Rest assured I broke the RAID 5.

Now, just for reference, not only did I search and read all I could before I did this, I made a thread about it on 03-24-2009
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15310

Why do some of you keep provoking me? I simply came here with a question, and I included logs. It's not like I came here demanding answers and didn't give any helpful info.

I'm starting to suspect that you don't have the answers and instead of simply not posting in the thread, or saying something like, "that sucks", you're posting drivel to cover up the fact that something has surfaced that you can't handle.

Again, I could be wrong, and my apologies if that is the case.
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #38
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
you should take some of your own advice about finding out about someone....

You should learn to use some simple logic.

My coments on your charachter, for right or wrong, were based on my own observations of your comments and conduct on the forum.

If you think some information I post is idiotic, then you should say I am an idiot. You would be wrong, but at least you based it on something I said.

Now see, calling me an ass, or jerk, would be fair based on your observation, and might even be correct. But...

Calling me a coward without anything to go on other than I use a handle on the forum, like most everyone else does, is well, idiotic. You had nothing I said to base it on.

In fact, I am retired military, special forces, with many medals and a case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from that Service to my Country. I think most people would agree that pretty much discounts me from being a coward.

Simple logic says you need to pull your head out...
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #39
Phoenix32
Thermophile

I am of the school of thought that if you are not qualified for a task, then you should not be doing the task. And example would be; if you do not know that torque specs on heads, mains, etc are important, then you should not be rebuilding your engine.

For a enterprise class hardware, some things should be simple basics and not need to be said in a simple how-to document (like step by step on having to torque bolts). But, for those who need a step by step, which I am not going to write here, this is some BASICS that need to be followed.

1. Break (remove) all current RAID arrays before even thinking about replacing a full set of disks.
and
Disable all AV and backup, this use drive references.

If you do not follow number 1 and install your new disks, then you are going to have to go back and wipe (complete erase) the new drives and start all over again. There is a lot of information being stored in those many hidden partitions/arrays, including markers for start and end positions that change from disk sizes and OS revisions.

2. Guardian OS likes memory. Anything below 512MB is inadequate for doing large drives and/or OS upgrades.

3. Enterprise Class Servers use Reg ECC memory.

4. DO NOT SKIP MAJOR OS REVISIONS WITH GUARDIAN OS! i.e. Do not jump from revision 2.x.x to 4.x.x or 3.x.x to 5.x.x. You MUST go from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5.

5. Do not use CS. Set drives to Single/Master. I am not going to go into length as to why here since I have written about this here before.

6. For larger drives (say 400GB and up), I strongly recommend GOS 4.2 and above BEFORE you even install the first new drive.

7. If someone tells you that the 4400, 4200, 4500, and/or 15000 can’t use brand X hard disk or drives larger than xxGB, they are full of crap and you can send them directly to me.

8. Do your OS xfer to 1 drive only, then boot the unit cold from that new drive to ensure OS xfer. Then COLD boot with the other 3 drives installed.

Last edited by blue68f100; 08-20-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added info
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #40
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
You should learn to use some simple logic.

My coments on your charachter, for right or wrong, were based on my own observations of your comments and conduct on the forum.

If you think some information I post is idiotic, then you should say I am an idiot. You would be wrong, but at least you based it on something I said.

Now see, calling me an ass, or jerk, would be fair based on your observation, and might even be correct. But...

Calling me a coward without anything to go on other than I use a handle on the forum, like most everyone else does, is well, idiotic. You had nothing I said to base it on.

In fact, I am retired military, special forces, with many medals and a case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from that Service to my Country. I think most people would agree that pretty much discounts me from being a coward.

Simple logic says you need to pull your head out...
I simply did what you did. I made a quick judgment based off of what I saw. Possibly incorrectly.

I knew you were going to say what you were going to say, even down to Spec Ops. Like I said, you should get to know the other person as well...

Again, I'm simply starting over. This got out of hand, probably mostly from me having an attitude due to dealing with that fraking box all day yesterday. That doesn't mean I don't stand by my assertion that I did not come here with an attitude and I certainly tried to research before I did this.

Last edited by jladelfa; 08-20-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Unread 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #41
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I am of the school of thought that if you are not qualified for a task, then you should not be doing the task. And example would be; if you do not know that torque specs on heads, mains, etc are important, then you should not be rebuilding your engine.

For a enterprise class hardware, some things should be simple basics and not need to be said in a simple how-to document (like step by step on having to torque bolts). But, for those who need a step by step, which I am not going to write here, this is some BASICS that need to be followed.

1. Break (remove) all current RAID arrays before even thinking about replacing a full set of disks.
and
Disable all AV and backup, this use drive references.

If you do not follow number 1 and install your new disks, then you are going to have to go back and wipe (complete erase) the new drives and start all over again. There is a lot of information being stored in those many hidden partitions/arrays, including markers for start and end positions that change from disk sizes and OS revisions.

2. Guardian OS likes memory. Anything below 512MB is inadequate for doing large drives and/or OS upgrades.

3. Enterprise Class Servers use Reg ECC memory.

4. DO NOT SKIP MAJOR OS REVISIONS WITH GUARDIAN OS! i.e. Do not jump from revision 2.x.x to 4.x.x or 3.x.x to 5.x.x. You MUST go from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5.

5. Do not use CS. Set drives to Single/Master. I am not going to go into length as to why here since I have written about this here before.

6. For larger drives (say 400GB and up), I strongly recommend GOS 4.2 and above BEFORE you even install the first new drive.

7. If someone tells you that the 4400, 4200, 4500, and/or 15000 can’t use brand X hard disk or drives larger than xxGB, they are full of crap and you can send them directly to me.

8. Do your OS xfer to 1 drive only, then boot the unit cold from that new drive to ensure OS xfer. Then COLD boot with the other 3 drives installed.
I've already stated I'm trying to start over, yet I continue to get talked down to. Like I said, and I do know your credentials, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't be taking this attitude with me face to face. But whatever. Do whatever you need to do to justify yourself. Really, Go ahead.

I've already stated my knowledge of enterprise class....everything. I'm not saying I know everything, but I've done every single IT position there is, and I've done it good enough to routinely get calls and texts asking me to do work for people. But again, say whatever you need to say, I don't care.

Thank you for a recant of the basic steps. Those have all been done/meant with the exception of a new OS. That just isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Thank you again for your attempts to help me.
Unread 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #42
blue68f100
Thermophile

What Phoenix32 Said,

I added some things to step 1.

jladelfa,

Steps 1, 3 and 5 is what you missed.

When I posted those step I said basic steps. I have posted detail steps on this forum more times than I want to count. The use of the search feature would have brought up a lot of post on upgrading GOS servers. You being a IT person should have known servers use EEC reg memory. My guess is your experience is mainly with work stations not servers.

Any way your answer on what you were doing wrong, has been pointed out. So you should be able to get the 4200 up and running now.

You need to get the PW to GOS v5. To upgrade to v5, it I would revolk the recovery console after upgrading the HD, before the HD is setup for use (no arrays, just OS trasfer). If you wait after it is in use, you really need to upgrade in seq. And there was a major change in disk structure between v3 to v4 if I recall. I would recommend that you always do a clean install if you have that option to you. This way any corruption will not be transfered to the new OS/drives.

Unread 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #43
blue68f100
Thermophile

Let all personal attacks stop now....... Time out Guys.......

if it continues I will delete this whole thread.....

David
Moderator ........

Unread 08-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #44
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I put three drives in RAID5, and when I tried writing to it, there were no more errors to be found.

However, the transfer was still painfully slow with the same network spikes that occurred before.

Just for the heck of it, I opened up a command window and started a continuous ping to the snap. With the RAID5, the pings ranged from 10ms to 49ms...on my LAN!

With the continuous ping still going, I deleted the RAID5. The instant I did that, the ping dropped to <1ms, where it should be, and has been staying there for the last five minutes.

So, no errors in log(in fact, no nothing in logs except when it says I've connected to the share) and RAID5 = crap network speeds. All other things the same minus the RAID5, network speeds awesome.

Before I tried this, I spent all day trying every possible network config.

Also, I bumped up the RAM to 1 gig.

blah.....
Unread 08-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #45
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

OK, the very second I try to put the disks in any sort of config, the pings start going haywire and getting huge.

EDIT

OK, Some interesting Tid bits. Keep in mind I drives 2 through 4 are the new, 500 gig drives. The first drive is the old one I used to get the machine up. I did do a clean instal today.

WHen I put drives 3 and 4 into RAID1, there is no change in the ping, and the transfer speed, while still experiencing some spiking, is a hell of a lot better.

Now, if I break that, and put drives 2 and 4 in RAID1, the ping times goes nuts again.

Just to double check, I broke that, and put drives 3 and 4 back into RAID1 and the ping time remained good.

So, I'm wondering if drive 2 is farked......

Last edited by jladelfa; 08-21-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Unread 08-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #46
blue68f100
Thermophile

Have you tried a different cable or port?
Did you install Reg EEC memory?

I had problems with my 4500 when I installed 4 400gig Seagate HD. I pulled the HD's and ran SpinRite on them. I had 1 HD that had terrible seek errors. It also had quite a few bad sectors. Seek errors will cause major problems on RAID's arrays. SpinRite built the bad sector table so the SMART Tech did not have to do this on the fly, causing timming errors. After running SpinRite a couple of times on the bad drive with seek errors, they seamed to settle down. I think spinrite may have tunned the HD.

btw, I run SpinRite on all of my HD's, new and once a year. This builds the bad sector table so helps with timing. This tells me if I'm going to have problem with the drive.

Raid Arrays require a lot of cpu power.

Unread 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #47
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
Have you tried a different cable or port?
Did you install Reg EEC memory?

I had problems with my 4500 when I installed 4 400gig Seagate HD. I pulled the HD's and ran SpinRite on them. I had 1 HD that had terrible seek errors. It also had quite a few bad sectors. Seek errors will cause major problems on RAID's arrays. SpinRite built the bad sector table so the SMART Tech did not have to do this on the fly, causing timming errors. After running SpinRite a couple of times on the bad drive with seek errors, they seamed to settle down. I think spinrite may have tunned the HD.

btw, I run SpinRite on all of my HD's, new and once a year. This builds the bad sector table so helps with timing. This tells me if I'm going to have problem with the drive.

Raid Arrays require a lot of cpu power.
Yes, I tried both network ports, a different switch, cable, the works

Yup, I found some old ECC memory laying around and it is recognized and everything.

I'm going to pull the drive I'm suspicious of out right now, and I'll try the SpinRite prog you have mentioned. Hopefully it'll tell me if anything is awry.

Thanks!
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #48
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
David, he might have a bad drive in the mix somewhere.
I think I am having some Dejavu here...
Unread 08-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #49
jladelfa
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I ran the drive through spinrite, took 27 hours. No errors, no bad reports, nothing.

Unread 08-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #50
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Check the other new drives...

Last edited by Phoenix32; 08-25-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Closed Thread