Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 09-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #226
stty0
Cooling Neophyte

Ahhh ... no offense Shen, but that file was on ******* ages ago, and still is, so getting it from there is nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen
Hi all,

didn't read the thread for a few weeks and I'm happy that we seem to have a solution for the 120 GB barrier ;-)

I own two 4100 devices and I have SnapOS 4.0830 for 4x00 Devices here (if someone want's to upgrade). It's a 25 MB zip file.

I am interested in the Server2Server Copy software, but I have no license key :-(

So my idea to share SnapServer keys and software is to use the ******* network.

I would ask everybody who has SnapOS software or license keys to share them using *******. To find related files in the ******* network, it would be nice to give them a filename like "SnapServer_XXX", where XXX is the description. So everybody just hast to search for "SnapServer" and one will find related files.

To get this thing working I offer right now in the ******* network and I hope that it will distribute soon.

Please reply if you also share your SnapServer related software with us and what filename you gave it. Please reply also if you found the file I offered here.

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 01:01 PM.
stty0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2004, 02:11 AM   #227
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

If anyone who had taken Snap OS V4 from me (which i paid for) wishes to make a donation using paypal. My email for this is sam@piloting.fsnet.co.uk

There is no obligation to do so. But if would go towards what i spent on the snap os v4.

Thanks

Sam
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 01:40 PM   #228
rmoody
Cooling Neophyte

I just hosed my 1000, can someone send me the image of the drive so I can try to restore it?

Last edited by rmoody; 09-04-2004 at 02:38 PM.
rmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 11:38 PM   #229
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Can someone send me an image for snap 2200? I lost both drives.
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 01:35 AM   #230
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I may have an image in a bit for the 2200,

I will let you know
Unread 09-07-2004, 01:20 PM   #231
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

If you want either S2S (no code) or Snap Extensions here they are:

I dont have an image for the os on a hd yet.

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Unread 09-07-2004, 03:24 PM   #232
HLouie
Cooling Neophyte

Default Os4

*Is OS4 the same for all Snap Server? I've used the same SUP file on the 2000 and 4100.

*Has anyone out there upgraded the 4100 above the 130gb limit?
It looks like the 1000,1100,2000,2200,4000 are able.
I've used 3 different drives, with no luck
HLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 03:26 AM   #233
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I think OS v4 is the same for the snaps that use Snap OS. however some do use Guardian Os.

Can't be sure though.
Unread 09-10-2004, 02:51 PM   #234
cyrusuncc
Cooling Neophyte

anyone still hosting (or have a link to) snapos v4?

also, does this release have the LBA48 compatibility for snap 1000 units?

thanks
cyrusuncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #235
packetsdontlie
Cooling Neophyte

I'm still having trouble with my snap upgrade. I have a Snap 4000. I have four (qty) Maxtor 5A300J0 drives - 300 GB apiece. I've downloaded this document from Maxtor: http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/..._ii_manual.pdf

I've tried to follow the previous posts. I've set my jumper so the drives appear to be nothing more than a 32 GB drive. When I do that, the front LED on the Snap server flash amber synchronously across all four disk lights. http://snapserver/config tells me there are no drives to configure.

When I remove the 32 GB jumper on the drive, the server sees the drives just fine, but formats them around 120 GB. I've tried the LBA commands from the http://snapserver/config/debug window, but there is no change in behavior.

Spec: Snap 4000
Software: 4.0.8.30
Hardware: 2.2.1
BIOS: 2.4.437

Does anyone have any ideas?
packetsdontlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #236
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Would anyone that has a Snap 2200 be willing to Initialize a drive for me
if I send you one?
My Snap server is a 2200 with two 80GB drives.
Unread 09-11-2004, 09:45 AM   #237
yvette176
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusuncc
anyone still hosting (or have a link to) snapos v4?

also, does this release have the LBA48 compatibility for snap 1000 units?

thanks
i believe snapos v4 is a "gotta pay for it" release:

http://www.snapappliance.com/page.cf...napos4&nav=nas

you have to be registered with snapserver.com to get to this page.

as i don't have a 1000, i can't tell you if the v4 OS will work with it.

hth
yvette
yvette176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 02:34 PM   #238
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Heres one for you all, this is with my 2200:
I bought my new hd, placed it onto the second channel. It booted up fine, and formatted the hard drive. It came up as a seperate drive. Great!!

I then turned it off and unplugged the old hd, and turned on again (with the new one still connected), it booted and everything is fine and dandy. No cloning or reinstalling of OS. So it would seem like, against popular opinion that the snap 2200 has the OS on the mobo. However to test this i tried the new bought one. That also had Snap OS v4 on it. So it seems like either the new mobo has Snap OS v4 on it, or the mobo copied the files across when it formatted the drive. However, the new mobo with either drive didn't have JVM on it whereas the old one did. With just the new drive attatched it has no JVM either, i haven't tried the original drive with the new mobo.

I tried booting it with no HD's attatched, but it can't find the server, as the link light dont light. With the new drive on the IDE 1 and the old on IDE 2, it boots and has snap extensions on it.

With just the 1 new drive it runs reallly quiet, probably similar with another of the same, no more noise than just the fan running. Has anyone a way to remove the raid from the old drive? Otherwise i may just buy a another new HD.

If someone can tell me how to make an image for others that'd be great, as i know how to clone but not make an image
Unread 09-12-2004, 06:18 AM   #239
phaedrus
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLouie
*Is OS4 the same for all Snap Server? I've used the same SUP file on the 2000 and 4100.

*Has anyone out there upgraded the 4100 above the 130gb limit?
It looks like the 1000,1100,2000,2200,4000 are able.
I've used 3 different drives, with no luck
I think this is a hardware limitation - probably the Promise controller and/or its BIOS.

I have a 4100 which started life as a Dell 705n. It's running 3.4.805 which is 48bitLBA compatible unlike 3.4.803 which is not. 4.0.830 is also 48bitLBA capable, but only on suitable hardware.

On putting in a disk >128Mb "info log T" at the http://snapserver/config/debug prompt shows:

D SYS | IDE: A 48 bit LBA capable Hard Drive was detected ...
D SYS | IDE: 48 bit LBA is not supported on 4100 and 12000 platforms.
D SYS | IDE: Setting the hard drive size to maximum addressable by 28 bits:
phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #240
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
Heres one for you all, this is with my 2200:
I bought my new hd, placed it onto the second channel. It booted up fine, and formatted the hard drive. It came up as a seperate drive. Great!!

I then turned it off and unplugged the old hd, and turned on again (with the new one still connected), it booted and everything is fine and dandy. No cloning or reinstalling of OS. So it would seem like, against popular opinion that the snap 2200 has the OS on the mobo. However to test this i tried the new bought one. That also had Snap OS v4 on it. So it seems like either the new mobo has Snap OS v4 on it, or the mobo copied the files across when it formatted the drive. However, the new mobo with either drive didn't have JVM on it whereas the old one did. With just the new drive attatched it has no JVM either, i haven't tried the original drive with the new mobo.

I tried booting it with no HD's attatched, but it can't find the server, as the link light dont light. With the new drive on the IDE 1 and the old on IDE 2, it boots and has snap extensions on it.

With just the 1 new drive it runs reallly quiet, probably similar with another of the same, no more noise than just the fan running. Has anyone a way to remove the raid from the old drive? Otherwise i may just buy a another new HD.

If someone can tell me how to make an image for others that'd be great, as i know how to clone but not make an image
I actually talked to someone from snap and that's how they said it would work.
He also warned me if I wanted to use another server to reinitialize my drives to be sure and configure the borrowed server for two individual drives first. If you don't it treats the second drive as a failed mirror. It will initialize is but you can not remove the mirror from the first one. My thought is that since you can boot up with your one new drive you might be able to use a PC to remove the partition info from the mirrored drive then hook it up and let it initialize. It should initialize as a single drive. I am no expert though so maybe some inputs from others would be a good idea.
Unread 09-14-2004, 05:15 AM   #241
cristianox
Cooling Neophyte

hallo! I'm a new user
I've found this forum searching for the software (the os "snapos") of a snapserver 1000 with hd80 gb.
the hard disk has crashed and i don't have saved the operating system!
can someone send me it by email or similar?
thanks

c.masutti@dataveneta.it
cristianox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2004, 12:25 PM   #242
MarcoP
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetsdontlie
I'm still having trouble with my snap upgrade. I have a Snap 4000. I have four (qty) Maxtor 5A300J0 drives - 300 GB apiece. I've downloaded this document from Maxtor: http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/..._ii_manual.pdf

I've tried to follow the previous posts. I've set my jumper so the drives appear to be nothing more than a 32 GB drive. When I do that, the front LED on the Snap server flash amber synchronously across all four disk lights. http://snapserver/config tells me there are no drives to configure.

When I remove the 32 GB jumper on the drive, the server sees the drives just fine, but formats them around 120 GB. I've tried the LBA commands from the http://snapserver/config/debug window, but there is no change in behavior.

Spec: Snap 4000
Software: 4.0.8.30
Hardware: 2.2.1
BIOS: 2.4.437

Does anyone have any ideas?
After my post (#146) I replaced all the 160GB disks with 300GB, created a Raid 5 volume with a size near 850GB and checked with Snap diagnostic. Also I changed the RAM to 256MB. After all I upgraded to v4.0.830. No trouble at all, only a little decrease of performance with SnapOS v4.0 and Snap Extensions.

The differences between your Snap with mine are Bios and Hardware versions.

The drives of Snap Server 4000 with serial before 70700042-003 have to be connected with jumpers set as master/slave, after with jumpers set as Cable Select.

What version of Snap Os is now installed?

If it is 4.0.830, did you upgraded before changing disks? V4.0 is 48bitLBA capable, but not with all hardware.

Could be necessary to reinstall v3.4.805 but I have no info if anybody has tried to downgrade to v3.4 with success.

Marco
MarcoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2004, 10:12 AM   #243
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I believe you can, but i am not definate. You just can go form 3.8 to lower (ie v2 etc)
Unread 09-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #244
whitestick
Cooling Neophyte

Has anyone successfully reinitialized the eprom, after messing it up I attempted to install the java extensions, and changed the flag so my Snap 1000 thought that it was a 4000, began the upgrade process. Every thing worked except that I wasn't quick enough to change it back before it rebooted itself, now it won't come up at all - can't even get an assist to find it. Since the eprom was changed, it also doesn't help just to put in a 1000 image, as it doesn't seem to know what to do with that. Any suggestions, or hopefully knowledge from someone that has made a recovery.
whitestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #245
packetsdontlie
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoP
The differences between your Snap with mine are Bios and Hardware versions.

The drives of Snap Server 4000 with serial before 70700042-003 have to be connected with jumpers set as master/slave, after with jumpers set as Cable Select.

What version of Snap Os is now installed?

If it is 4.0.830, did you upgraded before changing disks? V4.0 is 48bitLBA capable, but not with all hardware.

Could be necessary to reinstall v3.4.805 but I have no info if anybody has tried to downgrade to v3.4 with success.

Marco
I was away for a bit, but did try the jumper positions before I saw this post. There was no difference in behavior (Snap still saw it as < 137 GB) with either CS or M/S. I went through the routine of setting the drives to 32 GB, but I'm really not convinced that does anything.

I upgraded to 4.0.830 after trying the drives a few different times with no success. I would say that I probably did not understand the entire process as much as I do currently (And that is to say, I need the Snap to recognize the drives as being capable of doing LBA 48 Bit and therefore breaking the 137 GB barrier). I'm not in front of it now, but when ever I issue the ~IDElba48bit~ command with "get", it always reports 0. With "reset", it says "command completed without errors". I'm fairly convinced it must be a combination of hardware version and bios version that is making this endeavor fail. My searching of the Snap site and this forum suggest that there is no way to change either in the 4000.

I'm thinking of trying to find some 120 GB drives and just saving the 300 GB drives for something else.
packetsdontlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #246
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

OK, people have been asking for images for snap servers. I have a 2200, with snap os v4. Im willing to create an image for people to use. I have many programs that i can use. But i need to know which people would want. I have a knoppix live CD, so i can do a linux image. I have a g4u boot cd and disk pro. I also have norton ghost and powerquest drive image. The latter 2 i believe wouldn't do the job.
Unread 09-16-2004, 09:17 PM   #247
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
OK, people have been asking for images for snap servers. I have a 2200, with snap os v4. Im willing to create an image for people to use. I have many programs that i can use. But i need to know which people would want. I have a knoppix live CD, so i can do a linux image. I have a g4u boot cd and disk pro. I also have norton ghost and powerquest drive image. The latter 2 i believe wouldn't do the job.
I don't know anything about any of those programs but I am willing to try.
I think the linux image is what we need.
Again I'm not familiar with knoppix live.
I do not have a linux system so whatever might work with windows XP would be great.
Thank you in advance for whatever help you can do.
Unread 09-17-2004, 01:56 AM   #248
cristianox
Cooling Neophyte

I don't know if a 2200 SnapOs work on a Snapserver 1100 but I can try it! lost for lost...
for the format of image I haven't problem, linux or windows is the same!
but.. how large is it? 20? 30? 80mb? if you wan't I can do you some ftp space!
thanks
cristianox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2004, 07:22 AM   #249
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

FTP Space will be good, and we can put the image, snap os v4, S2S, and snap extensions on it.

If its only the size of the data on it, max 50mb i would have thought.

What do i want to do it on (knoppix is a type of linux, it runs without installation from a cd)

I need some help as to which i should do the image.
Unread 09-17-2004, 08:06 AM   #250
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

I created a user on my ftp site if you need to use it.
ftp://*************
User name: ****
Password: ****
This open for everyone here to use.
Sorry I am still no help on what program to use or how to make the image.

THIS SITE IS DOWN

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 01:15 PM.