Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-03-2003, 01:30 AM   #1
MrMatt
Cooling Neophyte

Default Quick Question on BlackIce Radiator

Hey,

Im planning on ordering one of the The BlackIce Pro series radiators ( The blue one) and I just wanted to double check something before I order it.

It has holes on either side for a 120mm fan so I can mount a fan on either side or both sides correct?

Thanks for the help
-Matt

Last edited by MrMatt; 01-04-2003 at 12:12 AM.
MrMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 07:15 AM   #2
bigdawginva
Cooling Savant

I can't speak to that case specifically but you can do some measurements using the following as a guide for the JPI rad/shroud.

The XLR Rad is appromixmately 10.5" x 5.5" x 2".

For total space, to include the Scoop (shroud), the dimensions are such that you need around 6 3/4" wide area for the Scoop width, then the length is about 11 1/2 and you need to allow for 5" from fan grill to backside of radiator.

You can click on my project page or Photo Page for some pics of his rad/shroud and a reservoir that can be installed with 1/2" fittings that should be out of the way.
bigdawginva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 09:04 AM   #3
MrMatt
Cooling Neophyte

Hey Thanks for the measurments and pictures. From the looks of it, I don't think its going to work externally the way I would like it to. I would really like to find something in 3/8" or 1/2" that is in housing of some sort w/ fans that is mountable outside the case.

I love this radiator (pictured below) but I cant find them anywhere in the US and I think it uses the same size fittings as innovatek (1/4"?).

As for the res I have seen that bay-res around and like the idea, Im tennativly going with that but still looking for other options. Has it worked good for you so far? I was a little concerned with their not being a lot of height above the fittings to keep air out.

How do you like your Hydor pump so far? I was considering going with it since its a little cheaper and smaller.

Thanks for the help
-Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator.jpg (3.2 KB, 84 views)
Unread 01-03-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
bigdawginva
Cooling Savant

For something external, perhaps just purchasing the Monolith external acrylic case from JPI may do the trick. Or, if you're not concerned with price, the entire Monolith external cooling option may be the way to go. That's the direction I'm going with my new Lian Li case.

As for the BayRes, it does not allow air to run in my system. The air that remains stays above the barbs.

I absolutely love my new Hydor pump. Smaller and cheaper than the Eheim but with the same performance. I have seen someone claim their Eheim runs cooler and quieter but after having this Hydor a few weeks, I can't imagine that being the case. I am touching it now and it's slight warm to the touch and I still can't hear it. If it wasn't for the water "circulating" at the top of the BayRes I couldn't tell my pump was even on. I can only surmise that my experience of the Hydor being very quiet is perhaps my setup as very little resistance compared to others.
Unread 01-03-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
MrMatt
Cooling Neophyte

The Monolith case is pretty sweet looking but the problem with it is its made to support dual radiators, and I really dont want to spend quite that much especially since I dont need two rad's, not sure how it would look with just one...

Too bad the OTIS from that same site cant mount so the radiator barbs point down, do you know if it can be mounted that way? It looks like its a possibility from the pictures on the site. It might be kind of cool to have that up on top of the case with the radiator barbs going down throug the top.

Guess my search continues as far as the radiator goes.

Im pretty sold on the BayRes, its cool looking and from what i Have heard (from others and yourself) it works good to keep air out.

Glad to hear you like the Hydor, Ill probably go that route since its not cheap-cheap like ViaAqua pumps are but isnt quite as expensive as the eheim's are.

Thanks again.

-Matt

Last edited by MrMatt; 01-03-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Unread 01-04-2003, 06:05 AM   #6
WS_JP
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Otis

Matt, you can mount the radiator with the barbs on the same side or on the back side of OTIS. As long as you have a square opening just slightly smaller than the radiator (for supporting the rad against the case) you can then make holes for the barbs, too. (I'll have some new pics up this week of various installations in Chieftecs and Lian Li Mid towers. )

Hope this helps - if you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

JP
WS_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 08:24 AM   #7
bigdawginva
Cooling Savant

JP, glad to see you posting here. Just be careful. I'll PM.