Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-06-2001, 11:33 AM   #1
Jokur
Cooling Neophyte

Default Newbie to liquid cooling

Coolers....

I have been pointed over by the [H]forum to ask you all about water cooling... Basically I am thinking about it, because of the warm weather approaching, (my room is the hottest in the house, I have some lizards)

SOOOOO, I have read Unaclockers articles, well most of them. My question is who can you recommend for a waterblock? what kind of waterblock do you recommend? Pump? and all the necessary evil things that are required?

I have decided to build my own system, will a transmission cooler work okay for a radiator?

What about the danger of leakage?

Thanks

Rich

Jokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2001, 01:55 PM   #2
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

DangerDen and Overclock-Watercool make some very efficient waterblocks. The only 2 pumps I've played with have been Supreme Mag drives from Petsmart. They're cheap, and often quiet, but not always quiet. I've heard Eheim is alot better, I believe you can get Eheim's here: http://www.petwhse.com/webstore/webs...E?OpenDocument
Alot of watercooling people use them and love 'em, they're just a bit more expensive tho. For a radiator, yes, a transmission cooler will work, but the radiator technology is progressing rapidly and tranny oil coolers aren't easily fit into a case. OverClock-Watercool has 3 different small radiators, and DangerDen has a huge cube radiator that'll fit great if you have a full tower case. Hope that info helps.

------------------
The UnaClocker
Overclock till it goes BOOM!
Watercooler extraordinaire!
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2001, 06:33 PM   #3
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Everything Unaclocker said is pretty much right on the money. If you are new to watercooling, I'd suggest the rese-pump from OCWC though.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2001, 07:31 PM   #4
Jokur
Cooling Neophyte

LOL!! Thanks... I'm going to order a waterblock from Dangerden... I'd like to get that Silver block, but... he's not taking orders on it at the moment.

I have a full tower, this watercooled system will be in a converted server box... which I'll grab this weekend for a outrageous sum of $12... I love surplus stores!!!

I do have a concern though about "leakage" other than always testing for leaks before final install, any suggetions?

Rich
Unread 02-06-2001, 09:32 PM   #5
Buster
Cooling Neophyte

one of your biggest concerns for leakage is the type of hose you use. I suggest going to McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com and ordering some good silicone rubber tubing. The vinayl tubing tends to leak quite easy, as it is not nearly as flexable as the silicone tubing. Also its a good idea to pre-run the entire system for 24 hour before installing it on your hardware. Personally I have never had a leak, I have a server that has been running 24/7 for 11 months now without a problem.

~Buster
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2001, 11:06 PM   #6
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

If you want to go with 1/2" (as you should..) and don't want to pay an outrageous amount for silicon, get heater hose.. it clamps WAY better than vinyl (ie, makes better connections), doesn't leak, is thick walled, and bends nicely. It won't deform from the added heat of peltiers either, like vinyl will do after a while.

Rich W.
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2001, 11:53 PM   #7
Buster
Cooling Neophyte

I don't know what you consider outrageous as far as price goes, but I paid $36 for 50 feet of 3/8 ID silicone hose with a 1/16 inch thick wall. If you buy this same size in smaller quantities its still only .94 a foot. Its WAY eaisier to work with than heater hose, looks much nicer (IMHO)... and clamps exceptionally well.

~Buster
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2001, 12:45 AM   #8
Alives
Cooling Savant

you shouldnt go with 1/2" thats ridiculous. All your waterblock fittings will be 3/8" so why go with 1/2"? Its like your computer is only as fast as its slowest part...the 1/2" will allow a nice flow, but if it is going to go through a 3/8" hole, the 1/2" is useless. Use hose clamps...those metal rings that you turn witha screwdriver to tighten...theyre int eh plumbing section of any hardware store.
Alives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2001, 07:25 AM   #9
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

3/8" is by far cheaper than 1/2" variety (according to Joe). And Alives, just because you have one restriction in your hose doesn't make the flow rate of the entire system act like it was made of 3/8" tubing.... but besides, I made my own water block and designed it to have the same cross sectional area (actually a tad more) than 1/2" tubing.

Rich W.
Unread 02-07-2001, 01:17 PM   #10
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

I use vinyl hose, 3/8 id, 1/2 od. The stuff is dirt cheap, I bought 30ft for $7.50.. Still haven't used half of it, and I've completely replaces all the hose in my system several times. On my first setup, I ran that thing for over 4 months without changing the hose. It did become stiff, but never had a hose related leak.

------------------
The UnaClocker
Overclock till it goes BOOM!
Watercooler extraordinaire!
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2001, 06:38 PM   #11
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

I've been running my setup for 1.5 years (+a little...) without ever changing the hose (seems like a giant hastle to me). The hose is still very pliable, no leaks, etc... And it really only costs about 50% more than vinyl.. I'd rather pay that amount up front than worry about leaks (possibly killing hardware) and not having to worry about changing hose.

Rich W.
Unread 02-08-2001, 11:23 AM   #12
Jokur
Cooling Neophyte

Well I ordered a the 4' Radiator & now looking at a Polyblock or COpper block from Chip at Overclocked-watercooled...

Any opinions on the Polyblocks?

Thanks

Rich
Unread 02-09-2001, 12:29 PM   #13
Freakyfrank
Cooling Savant

these polyblocks from OCWC are at least as good as normal 'maze' wblocks..

------------------
OC'ing is my middlename
Freakyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2001, 01:06 PM   #14
Jokur
Cooling Neophyte

Just finished Talking to Chip at OCWC (?) I have ordered the Polyblock... and the radiator. Should be here sometime next week, but he's got some personal biz to take care of first...

Next will be a server case, I pick that up today so I can start working on it.
And then the Tank/Pump...

Rich

I'll keep ya posted!

Unread 02-09-2001, 04:22 PM   #15
Alives
Cooling Savant

The fun starts here! have a blast!
Alives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2001, 02:03 AM   #16
Jokur
Cooling Neophyte

Well the system is built and ready to go...

Right now it's aircooled and running at 950, using x9.5 @ 1.85 volts... idles a bit high 45C.

I tried x10 but it would not post. Just waiting on the water stuffs... then we'kll see how it does.

Rich
Unread 02-12-2001, 07:45 PM   #17
Jokur
Cooling Neophyte

Got a water pump from a friend, who never dared to water kool his K6-3. Its a Sears 145gph

Will this be good enough or should I get one that has a higher flow?

Rich

------------------
FRAG!
Unread 02-13-2001, 06:33 AM   #18
Freakyfrank
Cooling Savant

i think its just good enough..

Freakyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote