Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 12-31-2002, 06:21 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Online Database for Heatercores

[moderator]
Here's a link to the heatercore database that works:
http://wbta.us/heatercore_database/

This message will be updated with any other links that become available, and remain functional.

The information below will remain for historical purposes only.
[end mod]

NEWSFLASH!!!

If you had previously bookmarked the database, your link will be broken within the next couple of days (from 7/8/03). I'm sorry, but my work PC is not going to cut it as a host anymore. Please check the links below.

THE ONLINE HEATER CORE DATABASE IS HERE:

[UPDATE]

www.airspirit.net

Use the menu (java required) above to get to the database. This way it will be available regardless of where I move it to and there's an easier bookmark for you.

DOWNLOAD FOR SETTING UP A MIRROR:

http://12.18.239.202/heatercores.zip (13,248 KB!!!)

[requirements: FP2002 extensions, MSDE, giving credit where credit is due]

Instructions:
Enter size ranges for Length/Width/Depth in the fields provided. The min must be less than or equal to the max or you will get no returns (self explanatory). Once you hit search, you will be given a list of cores if any are in that size range (out of 359 cores in the dbase) with links for each to !!!LOCAL SERVER!!! providing pictures. Once you locate a core that fits your needs, go to the link provided above and below the results to the cross-reference page and enter that core number (e.g. 2-200) in the search field. You will be given a list of year/make/models of vehicles that contain that heater core for use if looking for a core from a source that doesn't use FEDCO part numbers or if you were getting it from a scrapyard.

Good luck and happy hunting. If you need help or have any questions, post the question/comment to this thread and I will try to provide assistance as soon as possible.

[UPDATE!]: I have started hosting the image files locally. A few may still be missing at this point, but I think I've got 99% of them. I've added a portal page that allows you to select how you want to search. The choices are original flavor (linked images in each record) or new chunky blue cheese (inline images in each record). If you have a slow connection: PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY CHOOSE LINKED IMAGES! Otherwise, you will be downloading for the next week. And since there are over 8 megs of image files, please don't selec 0-100" in all of the fields repeatedly. My bandwidth suffers under those loads and I don't want to have to take this down.

[Original Post]: THAT'S IT! Ben, I'm breaking down. On Thursday I'm going to publish an online version of my database so everyone can use it. I'll try to get the powers that be to link to it somewhere so everyone will have access to the data.

I'm going to do it in the same way, where you can set min/max figures for all the dimensions, and then punch the core # into a second form and pull up the associated vehicles.

I'll post a link Thursday when i get to it (I have it running, but have to wade through the permissions nightmare so you guys can get to it).
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied

Last edited by bigben2k; 03-24-2006 at 07:49 PM.
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2002, 06:26 PM   #2
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Okay, so I'm quick at some things. The size search is here:

http://12.18.239.202/heatercores/default.asp

The other search (by core code) will be up Thursday.

n00bs and v3t5 alike can now rejoice.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 12-31-2002, 07:07 PM   #3
Nick C
Cooling Neophyte

cool! good idea IMHO

if you need hosting, I've got a SQL server, DB and ASP support, and am pretty good at writing ASP if you need it
Nick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2003, 12:23 AM   #4
Mikey Boo
Cooling Neophyte

this should be made into a sticky... otherwise a bump
Unread 01-01-2003, 01:25 AM   #5
redleader
Thermophile

Default Happy New Year!

Nice.

Thats inches I assume.

Edit: Also I forget are those GDI part numbers?
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2003, 01:40 AM   #6
redleader
Thermophile

Ok they're FEDCO. If anyone needs it, here the converter:

http://www.autopart.com/radiatorinfo/heatercoretech.htm

Convert from FEDCO to GDI and then enter it into the GDI slot and it'll show you a picture to go along with the deminsions.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 05:28 AM   #7
DJ-Quack
Cooling Neophyte

Is this including the tanks or not?
Western Digital SE 80gb
16x Creative DVD-ROM
48x/12x/48x Lite On CD-RW
Windows 2000 professional
w00t
DJ-Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 09:47 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Most often, it will not include the tanks. It's best to stop by your local shop, ask to see the part, and measure it.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 09:50 AM   #9
DJ-Quack
Cooling Neophyte

Another question, what do I put in for the part number for the cross referencing? I tried the num and corenum and got nothing.
Western Digital SE 80gb
16x Creative DVD-ROM
w00t
Unread 01-02-2003, 10:01 AM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Airspirit:

In my query, I put the length / width variables in both L/W, so that I don't have to run a double search. i.e. 6 by 8 and 8 by 6.

I think that some of your data may not be entirely accurate. I'll cross-ref with what I compiled and let you know.
Unread 01-02-2003, 10:12 AM   #11
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I checked it over, and it appears to be accurate. If you find any errors, I'll be sure to fix them. I do, however, believe that the program might be turning the string "2-168" into 2-168 = |-166| = 166. I'm going to confirm that today.

As far as the part cross-reference, the reason that doesn't work is that the code hasn't been put in yet, hence, it is only natural that it doesn't work! Look for that later today.
Unread 01-02-2003, 10:15 AM   #12
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Nevermind, I found out why the core numbers are fuxored. That'll be corrected within the hour. I'm at work, so this'll be slow going today when I have time ... (today I have to update the CRM data and rectify our stats, ugh!).
Unread 01-02-2003, 10:29 AM   #13
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I'm going to look into your suggestion about doing the search both ways, Ben, but I don't know how well FP will accept that level of complexity (M$ was very cheap with this system). I dont' know if it would be wise, anyway: though the basic dimensions would be the same, the piping would come out of the wrong side.

If it is something you all think will help, I'll try to do it. I personally think that it may add confusion to the mix.
Unread 01-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #14
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

The cross reference code is up. Once you finish search #1 and locate the core code you want, click on the "click here" text above or below the results. You will go to a second page prompting you for the number, and when you enter it and hit submit, out spits the list of vehicles.

For simplicity's sake, Ben, I've decided I'm going to keep the code to where you'd have to do two searches to find things with swapped dimensions. The reason I'm doing that is twofold: one, I want to keep the results list as short as possible, and also, since most dimensions are taller than they are wide, there wouldn't be many results that would find cores that have the dimensions reversed.

Since the dimensions do not usually account for the additional size of the input/output tubes, having it automatically reverse the dimensions on the user could cause confusion, and possibly the wrong part purchased. I think at this point I'm going to leave it as is (though I have a version that works both ways if there is enough outcry for it), because it is easier for the experienced to enter something twice than for a n00b to fuxor his project due to unclear data in my system.
Unread 01-02-2003, 02:51 PM   #15
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here are my results of differences:

For Length:
All is good!

For Width:
2-210 should read 6.125, not 6.25
2-449 should read 7.375, not 7.275
2-708 should read 6.375, not 3.375

For Depth:
2-757 should read 1.6875, not 1.938

(I double checked with website)
Unread 01-02-2003, 03:39 PM   #16
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Those errors are now fixed. 4 typos in hundreds of entries ... not too shabby, but thanks for the pointer.

I'm trying to place links in the code leading directly to the picture/page in heatercore4u.com. That'll be up shortly, I hope.

Last edited by airspirit; 05-01-2003 at 12:56 PM.
Unread 01-02-2003, 03:55 PM   #17
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

HAHA! I WIN!

When you click on the core number, you are lead directly to the page on heatercore4u that shows a picture of that part. How is that for 1337? That'll make searching a bit easier for the masses ....

[UPDATE]: The pictures are now local.

Last edited by airspirit; 05-01-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Unread 01-02-2003, 03:56 PM   #18
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Links would be kewl!

The only significant typo is 2-708. I had 3 or 4 typos myself!

Maybe you could add a note that the actual size may vary from the data, due to the tanks.

Also, looking at the cores is VERY helpful, because some of these things have really weird tube arrangements/connections and/or massively large flanges around the whole thing. Some don't even have connecting tubes: they have o-ring connections.

Weird connector:
2-226
2-757

Weird tubing arrangement:
2-244
2-215
2-317
2-342

Flanged:
2-308
2-177
2-179
2-544
2-278
2-140
2-259
2-260
2-183
2-182
2-258
2-300

With shut-off valve:
2-448
Unread 01-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #19
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Check again: its done!
Unread 01-02-2003, 04:01 PM   #20
DJ-Quack
Cooling Neophyte

You sir, are an upstanding human being. You deserve a medal or something.
Western Digital SE 80gb
16x Creative DVD-ROM
w00t
Unread 01-03-2003, 08:22 AM   #21
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Hehe, the guys at OC-Forums are going nuts over this. You'd think this was the holy grail or something.
Unread 01-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #22
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Well, it (you) deserve it!
Unread 01-06-2003, 09:38 AM   #23
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

You think this would make a good sticky?
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:26 AM   #24
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

I vote YES
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:47 AM   #25
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Great job there M8, this should definetly be a sticky.
Ford defintely has some nice cores, one of these days I'll go on a hunt
morphling1 is offline   Reply With Quote