Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
DarMach
Cooling Neophyte

Default San Diego 3GHz 1,5V temps too high?

Hi

I had recently tested a few San Diego Opterons, and i've picked one with the highest TDP for myself :] , btw - this one was the best clocker

Diego runs on 300x10 , 1,5V (1,55V set in bios - DFI)watercooled. TDP is 50 W (rest of this part was 44W)

Waterblock x2p like this one:

waterpump hydor l20
radiator - single danger den heater core with noiseblocker 120mm SX2 @5V

This damn thing is 38C hot on startup, ~57C stress.
For example other Opterons with lower TDP ratings (44w) was 34C idle, 47C stress (all 2,9GHz 1,5V)

I want to ask you guys (especially the one running high TDP AMD64) what temps do you have on WC?
DarMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

Default Re: San Diego 3GHz 1,5V temps too high?

check what happens if your radiator fan runs faster. Its a bit hot but OC's can tend to do that.
bobo5195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
BGP Spook
Cooling Savant

That is not a very easy question to answer accurately (to +10%) and the information would not be of much use to you.

If you are concerned about running too hot (I would be) then I would turn up the fan voltage, or maybe consider another radiator.
Unread 03-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarMach
Hi

I had recently tested a few San Diego Opterons, and i've picked one with the highest TDP for myself :] , btw - this one was the best clocker

Diego runs on 300x10 , 1,5V (1,55V set in bios - DFI)watercooled. TDP is 50 W (rest of this part was 44W)

Waterblock x2p like this one:

waterpump hydor l20
radiator - single danger den heater core with noiseblocker 120mm SX2 @5V

This damn thing is 38C hot on startup, ~57C stress.
For example other Opterons with lower TDP ratings (44w) was 34C idle, 47C stress (all 2,9GHz 1,5V)

I want to ask you guys (especially the one running high TDP AMD64) what temps do you have on WC?

hmm - could a poor joint between chip & IHS be contributing to this problem?
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 01:59 AM   #5
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

That is High as the max i seen opty go into is low 50s.
My 144 does 45ish range at load on air and low 30's at idle at 2.65 ghz/295x9.

My other 939s I have run idle 25-28C and 38C-40C Load.

I would remount and look to see if the TIM is spread properly.

5v for the FAN is low for OCing. Plug the fan into CPU header on DFI mobo and you can vary how fast the fan runs based on temp. It is in smartguardian speed fan program. So the fan can start up at low 30s and run full speed at temps from 40-50 C range.

TDP is probably for only at stock settings.
ricecrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 05:01 AM   #6
BGP Spook
Cooling Savant

Becareful when you plug fans into motherboard headers. There is usually a very limited amount of current that they will pass. Usually between 1 and 2 amps in my experience.
So plugging in one fan is not usually a problem but two or more can be. I think I have seem some 12v fans that pull 1 amp per fan. Just becareful and look up the stats for your motherboard and fans.
Unread 03-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
Brians256
Pro/Staff

1A total for all fans plugged into the motherboard is a safe value. The actual value isn't often easy to find.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Ls7corvete
Cooling Savant

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=396244
Ls7corvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

DFI nf4 mobos were designed to control CPU fan on Cpu header and an additional fan header for 1 more fan. DFI's don't seem to have long shelf life anyways and have RMA revolving door. Within 3 years I bet most of the DFI nf4 owners will RMA atleast once. Thats why they had a revision that they called "EXPERT" to fixes problems on original version and Venus 1000-limited release $450 mobo. Good for OCing hobby but not for desktop.
Unread 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Can you expand on that one, ricecrispi? What did they fix in the new "expert" version?
Unread 03-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

They had a 5vsb voltage problem with psus. Mobo wouldn't fire up on certain PSUs but psu was fine. I sold my seasonic 500W even though its a great PSU and so dead quiet. Not a major problem but considering its $170-200 mobo.... I should've sold the board instead and kept the PSU instead......

Had problems with 4 ram sticks. The craze now is 2gb ram and people who have tons of 512 mb sticks like me can't go 4x512mb. Having no 1gb stick meant upgrades or no BF2.

Problems running "cheap" ram, OEM ram, RAM slower than pc3200 speeds. they explained as its an expensive OC mobo so they shouldn't have it set to use normal ram.
Expert runs cheap ram with 4x512mb fine. They add more resistors and voltage reg and moved the RAM slots.

Changed the chipset location that used to be right under Vid card. Hot air from vid card was directly vented into chipset. 35C-45C air pumped right into that chipset and that fan failed repeated because it is overworked.Expert moved it to better location

===============================
I got hyped up on DFI by anandtechs article on it. I got my DFI in spring 05 when no one bandwagoned yet. Took me like 2-3 days to uninstall and install basic drivers and windows dozens of times just to run the board. Board had Bio ram quirks from the start. Been through 7 Bios. They didn't have support forum established for people to complain yet like now. DFI-street was empty. Now they got stickies on everything to do that are pages long.

I've gotten over my DFI craze after two boards. One died from volting clock ram 3.7V and not enough cooling around the 4V jumper. I had 120mm fans on the ram but not over that little chip in the corner and board died. Current one is going through 2 day CMOS clear. I doubt it will make it out and I will RMA it.

Last edited by ricecrispi; 03-20-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Unread 03-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #12
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecrispi
Expert runs cheap ram with 4x512mb fine. They add more resistors and voltage reg and moved the RAM slots.
Do you have to increase the voltage to compensate, I wonder? Impedance matching for transmission lines is a wierd subject.

Quote:
Changed the chipset location that used to be right under Vid card. Hot air from vid card was directly vented into chipset. 35C-45C air pumped right into that chipset and that fan failed repeated because it is overworked.Expert moved it to better location
All right! This is one of my biggest beefs.

Quote:
===============================
I got hyped up on DFI by anandtechs article on it. I got my DFI in spring 05 when no one bandwagoned yet. Took me like 2-3 days to uninstall and install basic drivers and windows dozens of times just to run the board. Board had Bio ram quirks from the start. Been through 7 Bios. They didn't have support forum established for people to complain yet like now. DFI-street was empty. Now they got stickies on everything to do that are pages long.

I've gotten over my DFI craze after two boards. One died from volting clock ram 3.7V and not enough cooling around the 4V jumper. I had 120mm fans on the ram but not over that little chip in the corner and board died. Current one is going through 2 day CMOS clear. I doubt it will make it out and I will RMA it.
Do you have a preference for other mfg of 939 mobo now, then? I like performanc e like everyone here, but I'm getting into things like number of PWM headers on the mobo and passive and/or quiet mobo cooling like the heatpipe tech used for chipset cooling.

P.S. Sorry for thread hijacking.
Unread 03-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #13
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

Abit has come back. They lost they main engineer to DFI but they've recovered.....

NEW 939 boards by ABIT have great overclocking, memory & voltage features, and uGuru that allows overclocking outside the bios. It looks pretty slick and you don't have to use several programs to overclock (clockgen, etc) like DFI which is usupposed enthusiast board. Whatever.

AN8 SLI & SLI 32x have passive cooling. I don't believe in SLI bullcrap. So im sticking with ultra AN8 that has the PASSIVE COOLING. Don't get old an8 with cooling fans or AN8 fatality with active otes. They have annoying red leds that can't be turned off too.
Unread 03-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Hmm... with that bit of info, I see that Abit lost Oscar Wu to DFI a few years back, but I don't see anything about them recovering. In fact, they are said to be in financial trouble, having bad RMA service, and they outsource manufacturing of their mobos to ECS (a sign they need to do things cheaply instead of well). Ah, the rumor mill of high tech. Gotta love it.
Unread 03-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #15
HammerSandwich
Cooling Savant

DarMach, don't worry about the CPU if your system is stable. And for reference, my new Opteron 144 hits 45-46C at only 2466 MHz with extremely quiet watercooling.