Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 08-17-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Any electronics gurus?

I am looking to make a DC power converter that takes input from a 5V line and outputs -18V to -20V (I'd like to control that with a pot or something ... for contrast). I am SO rusty in my electronics design it isn't even funny. Do any of you have an idea about how to make one of these bastages?
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #2
murray13
Cooling Savant

For a CCFL or the like??? Buy one. 1. Its easier. 2. It will most likely be cheaper in the end. 3. It will perform better.

Creating -18V from a 5V line isn't easy. It would be a little easier from a 12V line.
murray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Okay, then how do I do it from 12V? I'll be running this from molex (it is the contrast for an LCD) and I can't find a part at any of the supply houses that'll do it. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 08-17-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

There's a power converter from Maxim:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1705

I think this is it. Also see the related IC's.

http://www.dz98.com/wjj-pdf/pt5021-31.pdf

Or a little brother.
Unread 08-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #5
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

That first link looks really REALLY nice. The only problem is that the circuit diagram at the bottom is completely unlabelled ... doesn't do me too much good. Do you know where I can find a labelled one? This is making my head hurt ... hehe.
Unread 08-17-2003, 07:54 PM   #6
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Reference: http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1729
Direct Link :http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/arpdf/MAX629EVKIT.pdf

Check the second schematic on the PDF. It's labeled and with a -20v output.

It's all i could find. The rest just redirects me to thermistor related and similar pages.

I'd be more worried about the output amperage than anything else. Those circuits are rated very low (20mA for what i read).
Unread 08-17-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Wait ... I'm starting to think here: -20V, that's like just reversing the leads, right? So I could use a 20V thingy, and just attach the ground side to the -20V input and attach the ground from that to the 20V lead, right? Does that make sense? Reversing flow would cause the negative voltage, right?

The reason I ask is that I found a 12V->20V converter for car to notebook power, and I'm thinking that if I cut the lighter plug and attach a molex and then cut the power plug and solder that to the pins, I should be good ... right?

Or alternately, here is a picture of exactly what I need:

http://www.optrex.com/SiteImages/Par...C/50773age.pdf

In section 4.2 it gives an example of a power supply for the contrast to provide the -18 to -20V. I can find the 2SA1202, I think, but I don't understand the rest of the diagram. The resistor symbol with "VR" next to it is unfamiliar, as is the symbology used around "Tr". If someone could explain this I would be ever in their debt.

edit: this loop uses a maximum of 4.5 mA for the contrast adjustment. 20 mA would be more than enough. I found the premade eval kit you directly linked to (already built ... very nice!), but I can't seem to order it as it is unpriced. I'm going to try to contact them on Monday if I can't find another solution.
Unread 08-17-2003, 08:58 PM   #8
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

> Does that make sense? Reversing flow would cause the
> negative voltage, right?

I see your point, but power supply units were not built to be run on reverse. IMO, it wouldnt work... and if it did, not for long.

That's why there's inverting circuits. If it was that simple, we just connect things on reverse and save alot of electronics.

Anyway , i just realized (damnit, it took alot of time), you have a -12v rail on the PSU. You can actually use that, if the current draw isnt very high ; mine is rated for 0.8 A, which is pretty good.

And as far as i know (no certains) the -12v is just a reference voltage rail.

And you can also use a small DC-DC converter and pump the -12v to -20v.

>The resistor symbol with "VR" next to it is unfamiliar, as is the
>symbology used around "Tr". If someone could explain this I
>would be ever in their debt.

As far as i can relate VR equals Variable Resistance.

And it makes sense. The middle resistance has the "->" which means it doesnt have a fixed value, thus can be ajusted.

Edit : misread, the Tr refers to something else.

http://www.chipdocs.com/pndecoder/da...S/2SA1202.html

PS: The "Module" there supplies positive and negative voltages, the circuit attached serves as power regulator, imo.

Last edited by TerraMex; 08-17-2003 at 09:05 PM.
TerraMex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Yar, screw this. I'm ordering a LCD with a built in controller ... I don't have the patience to deal with this as well as the standard wiring headaches.

Thanks for the help though. I didn't realize how much I lost until I actually had to use it ... I haven't done any of this kind of stuff in any amounts in years.
Unread 08-18-2003, 12:10 PM   #10
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Taking the easy way out eh?

Anyway, be careful with the one you buy. Some LCD's even with controller dont come with the inverter for the light. If your LCD uses some ccf or el-wire type layer it will need an inverter.
Unread 08-18-2003, 05:57 PM   #11
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

It's a LED backlit unit, so no worries there ... I just need to step the Vled down to around 4.2V or so.
Unread 08-18-2003, 06:17 PM   #12
punish3r
Cooling Neophyte

Default Reversing Leads

I know I got into this one kind of late, but for anyone else reading this, I just wanted to clarify about the "switch the leads = negative PS"
The easiest way to understand why this wouldn't work is to imagine what a +12VDC PS looks like when piped through an oscilloscope. Properly connected, you'll have a horizontal line 12V "above" the 0V centerline. By switching the leads, all you're doing in reversing the hole and electron flow, thereby creating a "ground" that equals +12VDC, with a VCC of 0V, thereby pumping your energy "backwards" through whatever circuit you're powering, in most cases destroying it. (A side note: manufacturers of battery powered components have known for years that people are notrious for putting batteries in backwards, and therefore install a diode to prevent reverse flow)
Anyway, back to our oscilloscope model. A real -12VDC supply (properly connected) will show a horizontal line 12V "below" the 0V centerline.
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-Thomas Jefferson
punish3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 11:15 AM   #13
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Very nice. Thank you for the clarification. I'm properly kicking my own ass for my stupidity, because I should have known better, hehe.