Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-29-2004, 11:23 PM   #1
quick
Cooling Neophyte

Default Mach II w/ watercooled gpu and nb-NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!

hi i just joined this forum. I recently purchased a mach II and I want to water cool the nb and gpu. I need a suggestion for the setup and parts as I'm new to water cooling. The case i'm getting with the Mach II is going to be a Lian Li PC-75B.

Basically here's what I was thinking of. Money is not a problem so please feel free to suggest what you think is the best.

1. I was thinking of a iwaki pump or enheim but i heard that the enhiem put out to much heat. What do you guys suggest?

2. I'm stuck b/w dd gpu and nb waterblocks and d-tek gpu and nb waterblocks? are those the best that I can get? which one is better?

3. What kind of radiator should I get. I was thinking of Black Ice Extreme II. I was thinkin of putting it on top of the case or in the back but I heard that putting it on the front is best. I dont think i can do that. What do you guys think? is that a good radiator? do you guys recommend anything better?

4. Should I get a resevoir because I heard they increase temps becuase they slow down water flow?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR GUYS HELP. ANY SUGGESTOINS WOULD BE AMAZING. THANK YOU.
quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 04:09 AM   #2
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

1. Heat? never heard of that. And for only the NB and GPU i would recomend a ehein 1048. No need for more. Better yet, an MCP600 from swiftech.

2. I really dont know. if i wanted the best, for a NB i would choose a very low-restrictive NB wb, and adapt a WW or even Cascade to the GPU, but in that case i would go for an MCP600.

3.Get the biggest heatercore you can get on your case.

4. Reservoirs are good for ease of refilling only.

Welcome to procooling.

Last edited by satanicoo; 01-30-2004 at 01:10 PM.
satanicoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Tempus
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanicoo
1. Heat? never heard of that. And for only the NB and GPU i would recomend a ehein 1048. No need for more. Better yet, an MCP600 from swiftech.

2. I really dont know. if i wanted the best, for a NB i would choose a very low-restrictive NB wb, and adapt a WW or even Cascade to the GPU, but in that case i would go for an MCP600.

3.Get the biggest heatercore you can get on your case.

4. Radiators are good for ease of refilling only.

Welcome to procooling.

4. RESEVIORS are good .....

I think thats a little typo.

And thats wrong. Rezes also increase the water volume which gives your system the capability to hold more heat. Seeing as you are just doing an NB/GPU water system, you probably don't need one. Just make sure you have the gear to allow for easy of fill and bleed. Its a bitch otherwise.
Unread 01-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #4
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Reservoirs are good for holding heat? Well, I guess it does reduce the variance from temperature swings, but it doesn't really help much for a stable system.

However, they are good for other things.

1. Trapping air so that bubbles aren't running through the system. Air reduces the efficiency of the water coolant. Air also makes the system louder.

2. Keeping a reserve of coolant so that normal evaporation losses don't require that you refill the system every month. Unless you have an airtight seal on the system, heating and cooling the system will cause air to move in and out (like breathing) and that will carry moisture out of the loop.

3. Easy refill point.

4. Looks 133t with UV dye and a UV light!
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus
4. RESEVIORS are good .....

I think thats a little typo.

And thats wrong. Rezes also increase the water volume which gives your system the capability to hold more heat. Seeing as you are just doing an NB/GPU water system, you probably don't need one. Just make sure you have the gear to allow for easy of fill and bleed. Its a bitch otherwise.
Thanks. Corrected.

The fact that the system can hold more heat only means it takes more time to heat up, and to heat down.
Ignorable for 24/7.

But there are more advantages. Brians256 is right.
Unread 01-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
quick
Cooling Neophyte

how do i adapt a cascade or white water for my 9800xt? is there aguide or someone that can help me?
Unread 01-30-2004, 02:36 PM   #7
Boli
Cooling Savant

short answer: with difficulty unless you are willing to pernamently mount the block on your core with adheasive.

~ Boli
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #8
killernoodle
Thermophile

I say you get something with low restriction, get a little pump, and a medium radiator. You dont want a WC system taking up most of your case, especially if it is only cooling the NB and GPU, which put out less heat put together than a good P4 or OCed AMD. You wont need that much of a system for it to work effeciently.

I recommend swifty blocks, the 1048, and a small heatercore or an original black ice or BIX.
Unread 01-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #9
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
I say you get something with low restriction, get a little pump, and a medium radiator. You dont want a WC system taking up most of your case, especially if it is only cooling the NB and GPU, which put out less heat put together than a good P4 or OCed AMD. You wont need that much of a system for it to work effeciently.

I recommend swifty blocks, the 1048, and a small heatercore or an original black ice or BIX.
Right on the money. Most northbridges can be cooled with a heatsink and no fan if there is even moderate airflow through the case and if you aren't insanely overclocking the FSB. So, you won't need much to cool that. Focus on low restriction blocks so that you don't need a big noisy/hot pump.

The GPU could need more agressive cooling if you are really pushing a high-end GPU like the 9800xt. But, overclocking your GPU doesn't buy you as much because the graphics performance depends so much on being able to overclock the memory too, and that can't be overclocked much, even with great cooling. So, I'd bet that moderate watercooling gets you nearly all of what you'll ever be able to achieve. Again, low restriction blocks work well enough so that you can get a smaller pump if you are cooling just the NB and GPU.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2004, 03:01 AM   #10
quick
Cooling Neophyte

so a low restriction nb block would be the swiftech Swiftech MCW20™ Chipset Cooler. I've decided to also buy the swiftech MCW-CHILL 452™ Thermoelectric liquid chiller to cool the water and for the gpu MCW50-T™ Liquid Cooled Thermoelectric Assembly for Graphics Processors. Do i need the water chiller?? or should I leave that out? Since i'm getting the peltier what pump should I use? should I still use the same mcp600 or a differnt one? please let me know thanks