Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 11-15-2002, 08:39 AM   #1
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Default Soldered ATX mod question, 5+5+5+5=20 yes?...

I am wanting to solder some wires to the ATX 'mount/pins' on the back of the mobo (because I have bad problems with a dodgy ATX connector (EnnerMax). if I jiggle the ATX connector I get big fluctuations on the 5v rail, and small ones on 12&3.5v) I will then use a 3AMP 'block connector' to join the PSU to mobo. thing is there are twenty different pins, that's a lot of block connector! .
do you think it'll be safe to join some of the wires together, the earths for instance?. the four 5v rails will add up the volt's if I join them though wont they?, or will it just increase the ampage?. if I could join the 5v and 3.3v and Common earths together respectivly I could use a 10point block connector instead of twenty.

Other thing is which wires on the ATX do you join to turn on/off the PSU without connecting it to the mobo?...

Thanx peeple! ...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
MeltMan
Cooling Savant

If you open the PSU and look, the earths are all joined on its circuit board. Actually, most (wont say all) have a big lump of grounds connected, as well as 5v, and 12v. They are on a "bus". So it shouldnt hurt too much of anything, but make sure you use thicker wires.
Unread 11-15-2002, 09:20 AM   #3
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Soldered ATX mod question, 5+5+5+5=20 yes?...

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
Other thing is which wires on the ATX do you join to turn on/off the PSU without connecting it to the mobo?...

Thanx peeple! ...
The green wire, and any of the black ground wires will turn the PSU on.

Man, why do I sound like a bomb tech saying that

If it works, fix it until it's broke!
Then, after it's broke, add duct tape!

Affordable webhosting!
Yo-DUH_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 03:46 PM   #4
MadDogMe
Thermophile

I'll probably not be able to fit the six earths into one of the B/C holes so I'll solder them to some houshold (240v lighting)electrical wire for a cm or so either side of the B/C, the four 5v and 3 3.5v will fit OK. this beats doing a 5v mobo mod ...

I'll also shorten the flex length, I hate EnnerMax 2foot ATX leads myself , damn unvariable resistors!! ...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 08:57 PM   #5
gogo
Cooling Savant

I like my long enermax cord.
I can unhook it from one board to another on my desk without having to take it out of the case.

So, it's possible to take out all the 5v and 12v lines I don't need?
or alternately, I could have one molex going to a distribution box and split from there?